PDA

View Full Version : Pics of connecting two ponds

Lynne
04-14-2005, 05:58 PM
DH took these pics today of how he connected the two ponds underground with a 5 ft section of 6" pipe. I should hope he knew what he was doing :yes: and I hope it holds :eek: New pond is 11x18x3 exsisting pond is 9x9x2

Lynne
04-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Here are some more

emmalou
04-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Lynne..that looks super! What a great idea joining the two ponds..it will be fabulolus when it's all done. :)

cezhart
04-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Aren't you excited!? Can't wait to see pics when finished! :D:

emmalou
04-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Lynne..you probably covered this..but I am feeling lazy today :D: Did you mortar the rocks in. :confused: .I really llike the looks of them.

Lynne
04-14-2005, 06:16 PM
emmalou, the rocks aren't mortared, they have a dirt wall so to speak behind them :yes:

seanmckinney
04-14-2005, 06:24 PM
Lynne, it might be better if the boots pointed into the ponds rather than towrds one another. The water pressure acts to help the seal when they point into the pond. Sorry.

Have the fish taken the underground yet?

Lynne
04-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Sean, I told hubby what you said and he thinks that you are right. The water is holding right now and DH says if there is a leak he can fix it doing it the way you said. Do you think he should fix it before there is a problem or that the way he did it just might work :thinking: The fish have been checking out the pipe but no brave swimmers yet. DH says that he did it that way because he didn't want any clamps in the pond and the outer clamp should make the pressure seal plus he has a boot around it. He says that he has the clamps exposed for a few days to see if it does leak :thinking:

WinginSue
04-14-2005, 09:59 PM
If he makes another ring of liner to go over the clamp he can then put it inside the liner. Use a bit of silicone to seal the pieces of liner together. That will keep the water away from the clamp. Good old DIY pipe boot. Also if he cuts the hole in the donut 1/2 the size of the pipe it will stretch over the pipe nicely. It looks like there are slits in the center of it. Those slits will want to continue tearing where having the hole stretched over the pipe won't.

Basically, cut two donuts the size of the pipe. Hole in the middle 1/2 the size of the pipe. Cut the hole in the liner 1/2 the size of the pipe. Slip liner over pipe, slip one donut over pipe up against the liner. Clamp, slip second donut over the whole works. Use some silicone for added sealing. Voila! Nice tidy waterproof pipe boot.

seanmckinney
04-15-2005, 01:11 AM
The way your hubby did it does work, it's just I am a fussy b*****r. If it were me I think I would 'fix' it. Your situation isnt as 'bad' as it could be because the pipe is shallow and the pressure trying to inflate the liner around the pipe is low. However the jubilee-clips/pipe-clamps may get jammed with dirt. In the pond they would stay largely clean. Also the black of the liner would help mask the white of the pipe. The clips should be stainless steel so they shouldnt corrode in pond water but if your hubby doesnt want them visible and in the open for the fish to bump into he could wrap them and the pipe in a 'bandage' of scrap liner.
If he doesnt want swap things over I would be inclined to pack area around the boots with damp sand or fine riddled/sieved soil.

nicco
04-16-2005, 11:54 PM
I would agree with the others that reversing the arrangement would lead to a better seal where the water pressure increases the sealing affect. The boots that I have do not leak even when the clamp is removed.

The other thing to watch out for with this arrangement is that the pipe sticking into the pond poses a danger in terms of being sharp enough to cause damage, particularly during spawning season. One way to reduce the danger would be to slice some garden hose length ways and then glue it to the lip of the pipe giving it a soft and smooth surface.

OttawaPonder
04-17-2005, 12:15 AM
Forgive me but I am lost and confused.

This would of been a great time and place to add a small stream, between the two pond with a bridge over the stream.
Why didn't you do that in stead?

If you plan on keeping the pipe and pipeboots. I too would have them so the clamps are in side the pond. Makes for a better seal. More important, it makes any future repairs easier and less messy and/or time consumming.

That is how mine are for the two retro fix BD's.

Best of luck