PDA

View Full Version : Koi gender?

Bardebarde
07-31-2017, 04:59 AM
Hello,
I different type of kois loud and I want to check their gender so i can breed them.recently I figured it out that it is hard to tell gender when they are small.they are about half a foot or more,is that small?and how do i tell their gender?
Three koi about half a foot,and one about a foot.

Thank you.

inazuma28
07-31-2017, 08:58 AM
Some fish are very obviously male or female and it can be seen before they reach a foot long. Some are more difficult and it takes until they are well over a foot long. Here are the ways you can tell the difference.
Males:
Typically large pectoral fins
Typically a thick leading ray of the pectoral fin
Typically have thicker/denser pec fins
Rough pec fins at sexual maturity (feels like sand grit)
Rough gill plates at sexual maturity
Vent opening is somewhat rounded
Males typically are more slender fish with a strong shoulder but not much mass through the rear of the fish

Females:
Pec fins are smaller, thinner, smooth and more transparent
Gill plates are always smooth
vent opening looks more like a straight line running from left to right
Generally females will be fuller, bulkier fish and carry their weight from the shoulder to as far back as the tail tube

The things that are underlined are the most important. For example, if you have a bulky fish that carries weight toward the back, has small delicate pec fins, but the gill plates and fins feel rough, its a male.

inazuma28
07-31-2017, 09:00 AM
if you post pictures of the fish the members here and I will be glad to give our best guess as to sex.

koiman1950
07-31-2017, 04:59 PM
And that would be nothing more than "guesses" as they are really too small at 6" to tell anything. You also have other issues (tadpoles) to deal with before you jump into thinking about breeding. Is this idea about making money from koi or just for fun?