PDA

View Full Version : Attention Canadians in Search of Medicated Koi Food

Koidaddy
02-23-2017, 07:43 PM
Seems antibiotics and medicated food are hard to come by in most parts of Canada. I have searched high and low looking for medicated food within Canada (imports not allowed without permit). After my lengthy search I happened to stumbled across this interesting homemade recipe for Medicated Koi food by Hikari Foods. The best part being, all ingredients are readily available in Canada!

Here's the Medicated Koi Food link with the active ingredient being BiFuran. Actually, I have a batch drying on the counter right now.

http://www.hikariusa.com/articles/medicated-feed/

Chris
:D:

cindy
02-23-2017, 09:33 PM
Thank you <3

Koidaddy
02-24-2017, 01:06 PM
Treatment for:
Ulcers
Fin Rot
Mouth Rot
Tail Rot

Last night I made my very first batch of BiFuran medicated food. I used a large glass storage jar and tripled the recipe to 12 ounces of weighed (used a kitchen scale) koi food. After blending the BiFuran ingredients with the dry koi pellets, I then added the vodka.

As directed in link, I shook container vigorously and tumbled until all pellets were evenly coated with vodka. After a minute or two of shaking and tumbling I notice that the inside of jar was still dripping with vodka (which of course made me want to pull out the old spatula:hic:). I continued to give jar periodic shakes and tumbling, about every 30 minutes, right up until I went to bed, at which point I laid jar on its side with lid open for maximum pellets exposed for airing. I woke up this morning and to my surprise, pellets were more or less dry.

Just fed to my koi and I'm happy to report fish ate willingly with no yellow leaching from the BiFuran.

Hope this food helps them along in whatever it is that is persistently ailing them?

Caution: As the State of California states; BiFuran is a known carcinogenic, therefore I wore surgical gloves throughout entire procedure and feed koi using a spoon to avoid skin contact.

Longfin Lover
02-24-2017, 03:37 PM
Hope it works for you, Chris.

Koidaddy
02-25-2017, 02:03 AM
Hope it works for you, Chris.

Me too... Thanks, Marg!

coolwon
02-25-2017, 08:46 AM
Hope this food helps them along in whatever it is that is persistently ailing them?

What is ailing them?

Garfield.

*Ci*
02-25-2017, 10:55 AM
Seems antibiotics and medicated food are hard to come by in most parts of Canada. I have searched high and low looking for medicated food within Canada (imports not allowed without permit). After my lengthy search I happened to stumbled across this interesting homemade recipe for Medicated Koi food by Hikari Foods. The best part being, all ingredients are readily available in Canada!

Here's the Medicated Koi Food link with the active ingredient being BiFuran. Actually, I have a batch drying on the counter right now.

http://www.hikariusa.com/articles/medicated-feed/

Chris
:D:

Where, in Canada, did you get your BiFuran? I see they have it at Canadian Ponds Online, but looking for other sources ...

http://www.canadianpondsonline.com/Koi-Care-Kennel/Bifuran-Powder-p-388.html

coolwon
02-25-2017, 10:59 PM

What is ailing them?

Garfield.

Sorry I asked a STUPID question,he doesn't know whats ailing them.

Why would you go to all this trouble for an unknown ailment.

Cindy did not ask for water parameters?

I wondered WHY?

Garfield

kwickcut
02-26-2017, 10:22 AM
everyone should save this information.. from what i have heard there will be no medicated food in the U.S.A. because the F.D.A. has changed the regs and now everyone will need to have a prescription to make and buy medicated food.

coolwon
02-26-2017, 11:12 AM
everyone should save this information.. from what i have heard there will be no medicated food in the U.S.A. because the F.D.A. has changed the regs and now everyone will need to have a prescription to make and buy medicated food.

You could put me out of my misery by telling what this magic potion cures.

Garfield

Koidaddy
02-26-2017, 12:12 PM

What is ailing them?

Garfield.

Been battling ulcers... they're on the mend though... just adding an extra ounce of cure - Thanks for asking!!

Koidaddy
02-26-2017, 12:28 PM
Where, in Canada, did you get your BiFuran? I see they have it at Canadian Ponds Online, but looking for other sources ...

http://www.canadianpondsonline.com/Koi-Care-Kennel/Bifuran-Powder-p-388.html

I ordered the Hikari Brand since it's their Recipe. I purchased from Amazon Canada. I order 3 bottles of the stuff, enough to waive their shipping charge. Each bottle holds 3.4 ounce of BiFuran powder, and it takes 4 tablespoons to make one pound of medicated food, so one 3.4 bottle should make approximately 1 pound, four ounces. I plan on feeding until "things" clear up, but no longer than 10 to 14 days.

What's great about this recipe is that it treats systemically inside as well as out (it's a poor man's injectable). Of ourse you should still use common sense by using other meds on visible sores and such or specific illnesses.

Cheers!
Chris aka KD

Koidaddy
02-26-2017, 12:33 PM
You could put me out of my misery by telling what this magic potion cures.

Garfield

Here you go! :D:

http://www.sdpondandgarden.com/Hikari/Pond-Solutions-Bifuran-p-250.html

Koidaddy
02-26-2017, 12:40 PM
Sorry I asked a STUPID question,he doesn't know whats ailing them.

Why would you go to all this trouble for an unknown ailment.

Cindy did not ask for water parameters?

I wondered WHY?

Garfield

:D: No such thing as a "stupid question". And yes, I do know what's ailing them. It's a stubborn case of ulcers. All water parameters check out. Normally I would just inject and feed medicated food, but import laws in Canada have now become very difficult.

Cindy knows I am an expierienced koi keeper of almost twenty years, so that's why she did not question me, she knows that water testing is regular koi husbandry for me. :D:

Cheers!

coolwon
02-26-2017, 12:46 PM
Bad, Bad, Bugs.

It's in the latest news on Koi Bito Japan.

Does not appear to be fake news.

Maybe worth an amble across and a look see.

Garfield.

nmtsaki
02-26-2017, 02:14 PM
My vet told me a year ago that the FDA was trying to prohibit/make it extremely difficult for veterinarians to prescribe antibiotics to animals. How stupid is that?

Radley
04-14-2018, 01:15 AM
Treatment for:
Ulcers
Fin Rot
Mouth Rot
Tail Rot

Last night I made my very first batch of BiFuran medicated food. I used a large glass storage jar and tripled the recipe to 12 ounces of weighed (used a kitchen scale) koi food. After blending the BiFuran ingredients with the dry koi pellets, I then added the vodka.

As directed in link, I shook container vigorously and tumbled until all pellets were evenly coated with vodka. After a minute or two of shaking and tumbling I notice that the inside of jar was still dripping with vodka (which of course made me want to pull out the old spatula:hic:). I continued to give jar periodic shakes and tumbling, about every 30 minutes, right up until I went to bed, at which point I laid jar on its side with lid open for maximum pellets exposed for airing. I woke up this morning and to my surprise, pellets were more or less dry.

Just fed to my koi and I'm happy to report fish ate willingly with no yellow leaching from the BiFuran.

Caution: As the State of California states; BiFuran is a known carcinogenic, therefore I wore surgical gloves throughout entire procedure and feed koi using a spoon to avoid skin contact.

Hi,
longtime lurker here on koiphen so thank you for the years of insight and advice I've been able to cherry pick here on various threads! I was wondering if you could give me the specific recipe for this. I've searched and not found it. I have koi food, BiFuran, and I certainly have Vodka I'm just missing the exact amounts per lb of koi food. Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Radley

Russell Peters
04-14-2018, 09:52 AM
You can make medicated food with any powdered antibiotic. I make food specifically for what I need. Most packaged medicated foods will do nothing and are a waste of money.

jagFan
04-18-2018, 06:11 AM
I was watching the Koi doctor on YouTube making medicated food. He put it in a bag and shook the powder into the pellets. Then he added a few cap fulls of vegetable and shook it till the pellets were evenly coated. That's how I get medicated food into my Cichlids, so now I've seen it done for Koi, I'll try that when needed. As for the Vodka, what's the reasoning behind the alcoho? Is it to soak the powder in and then the alcohol evaporates?