PDA

View Full Version : Winter koi feeding and adding baking soda

KoiRun
02-13-2017, 05:12 PM
Got a dumping of snow yesterday. I thought I'd update the kids of the weather outside, feed them and take a vid:). Male? Female? I don't know for sure yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjnsYeQ6fPI

icu2
02-13-2017, 07:57 PM
You got them bundled up good for the winter!! They sure looked happy to see you. :)

Craigger7
02-14-2017, 09:07 AM
That's some insulation, :like:

montwila
02-14-2017, 03:06 PM
Do the fish have any natural light that gets into pond when it is covered?

When you take the cover off do you do it over a period of time or all in one day?

KoiRun
02-15-2017, 04:47 AM
Do the fish have any natural light that gets into pond when it is covered?

When you take the cover off do you do it over a period of time or all in one day?

No natural light. Light comes on in two stages. Dim then bright in the am and from bright to dim to off at night. In the spring I plan on taking off the panels in stages over 3-4 wk period to acclimate.

coolwon
02-15-2017, 07:20 AM
If the fish are in a lit condition all day under the covers.

What would suffer if you exposed the pond to daylight conditions in one removal of the covers?

They are very happy to see you and what you have tucked away for them.

They certainly benefit from being taken care during the winter period.

Is the pink patch on the Shiro's peduncle anything to worry about?

Garfield

KoiRun
02-15-2017, 07:49 AM
If the fish are in a lit condition all day under the covers.

What would suffer if you exposed the pond to daylight conditions in one removal of the covers?

They are very happy to see you and what you have tucked away for them.

They certainly benefit from being taken care during the winter period.

Is the pink patch on the Shiro's peduncle anything to worry about?

Garfield

The lights are on all day from 8am to 10 pm. Next year I will try to incorporate some sort of insulated window; natural light. The gradual removal of covers in the spring is to prevent any temperature shock and sudden proliferation of algae, I don't know for sure, but less of a sudden change the better. Maybe somebody can chime in on this. Shiro's got beni that's come out; one on left side of the body and one at the base of the tail.

Haab
02-15-2017, 03:56 PM
Nice koi and video :like:

montwila
02-15-2017, 04:21 PM
I think that as the days become longer in Spring, the fish actually respond chemically. That is why I asked those questions.

If they are in the dark and suddenly were exposed to 12 hours of daylight in March I think that would be a big change and stressor for them. Having a light on a timer is better than total darkness. If it were my pond I would also take the cover off in stages and not all at once. Having a roof over their heads and suddenly none might be a huge stressor if a flock of black birds or geese was flying overhead.