PDA

View Full Version : Pond Safe Plants

Sarge
06-23-2004, 09:54 AM
This is right down Gary's alley. I would think for beginners, hardy lillys, hyachin, and water lettuce. Tropicals take some work..

ChrisH
06-23-2004, 11:00 AM
It is amazing to me how many so called "land" plants do well in water.
I have impatiens growing bare root in floating baskets, canna and calla lilies with water just over the soil level, creeping jenny and mint at the edge of the pond and in the stream, Daylilies bare root in baskets, iris' bareroot with rock pots for stability.
I like to try new and different plants just to see how they do in water. If it works, cool beans, if not, oh well.
I have a list of plants that are either toxic to fish or do not do well in water somewhere, but I am not sure where. As soon as I find it I will post it.

gray cat
06-23-2004, 11:10 AM
I also have Salvia & Liprope bare root in the pond.

ChrisH
06-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Amaryllis - bulbs
Baneberry - berries, roots
Bird of Paradise - seeds
Black Locust Bark - sprouts, foliage
Boxwood - leaves, stems
Buttercup - sap, leaves
Cherry - bark, twigs, leaves, pits
Coral Plant - seeds
Daffodil - bulbs
Datura - berries
Death Camas - all parts
Eggplant - all but fruit
Elephants Ear - leaves, stem
English Ivy - berries
Foxglove - leaves, seeds
Hemlock - all parts
Holly - berries
Hyacinth - bulbs
Indian Turnip - all parts
Jasamine - berries
Java Bean - uncooked bean
Lantana - immature berries
Laurel - all parts
Locoweed - all parts
Mayapple - all parts
Mistletoe - berries
Mock Orange - fruit
Morning Glory - all parts
Narcissus - bulbs
Oak - acorns, foliage
Pine - sap
Poinsettia - leaves, flowers
Potato - eyes, new roots
Privet - berries, leaves
Prunus varieties - seeds, some
Redwood - sap (from decks also)
Rhubarb - leaves
Ranunculus - all parts parts
Snapdragon - all parts
Snowdrop - all parts
Tiger Lily - all parts
Tomato - leaves
Tulip - bulbs

hacnp
07-06-2004, 05:45 PM
oh no :eek: I have Elephants Ear in pond, or did, Thanks ,everyone should have that list.
:D Rose

ChrisH
07-07-2004, 11:41 AM
As long as the fish are not nibbling at the EE's stem or leaves it is fine. Just don't let the leaves touch the water and make sure to remove any that may.
Also note tomatoes on that list but they are great in a veggie filter.

andrew davis
02-28-2010, 11:20 AM
No it may not work to put just any plant in.

It may be feasible to shortlist 200 aquatic plant varieties to toss a dart at, lol

Some plants are not aquatic, they will likely rot or fail. Among aquatic plants, those whose roots are evolved to thrive in water some may destroy a pond fast and become a regretable titanic mess.

Lotus, hybrid odorata waterlily, cattails, yellow flag iris, papyrus have a ghastly capacity for choking an ornamental pond, become a difficult labour intensive liability to remove when left to their own devices, that needs da Texas chainsaw school of manicure, herbicides, or a mechanical excavator to thin out.

Competent professional lake management folk can be hired for as little as a $1,000 a day but may not be a realistic option

Some have very well known, robust, easy to control aspects. e.g. Hardy waterlilies, aquatic iris (not yellow flag) water hyacinth, have a useful mix of good looks, improving water quality, moderate excessive heat, provide shade and cover for fish and critters and are easy to keep under control.

What will work will vary by location, so theres choosing stuff that will do well to make, between the tropics and Lake Wobegone. but then again, some folk do like the choice and challenge of growing stuff well out of their usual climate range because they don't like the 'usual' stuff or iffy prices

Which is half the fun of puttering about a pond, making choices... whittling da wishlist...

Picking up a few books from a library can make a pleasant first stop, 'Plants for Water Gardens' by Helen Nash and Steve Stroupe being a good a good read. Searching any of many special interest collectors, often listing on ebay can be an eye opener.

I'm reminded of a recent whim to try a fragrant climber, put off for years by wifey's fondness for keeping goats as pets, Figuring howsabout one that can grow well indoors, lol

Finding Jasminum, indicated an immense choice between $3 and $40... a quick search on ebay makes it very easy to have a poifect size plant, just what I want to pot on, complete with basic cultivation information.

Headed towards the post box from Wisconsin of all places, gee if they can do it...

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/

Koifetti
09-14-2016, 07:08 PM
oh no :eek: I have Elephants Ear in pond, or did, Thanks ,everyone should have that list.
:D Rose

The Koi pond/Garden place near by sold us Elephant Ears and recommended putting them into our pond, we did not put them in...but he took them right out of his pond! Good to know, thanks!

cindy
09-14-2016, 11:37 PM