PDA

View Full Version : Using 30 gal. Vs 55 gal. For S/G filter

Mild Bill
04-03-2014, 12:36 PM
I'm having trouble finding suitable 55 gallon barrels for my S/G filters. My local car wash has 30 gallon barrels I can use. Due to the reduced maximum flow rate I was thinking of using three 30 gallon barrels instead of two 55 gal.barrels. I've read that the 30 gallon barrels have a maximum flow of about 1200 gph versus 2000 gph for the 55 gallon barrels. Our skimmer has a maximum flow rate of about 4000 gph. I'd like to use a performance pro pump that pushes 4700 gallons an hour. Anyone have any thoughts about this or actually use this 30 gallon type of system.

Thanks, Bill

nwrunner
04-03-2014, 02:39 PM
I think it would depend on the dimensions of the 30 gallons and the volume of the chicken grit you can have. In a 55 gallon, the bottom grid, and lower layers of rock take up over a foot in my setup, then the lower backwash outlet is another 12" below the lip of the barrel. It just doesn't seem like in a 30 you're going to have a lot of space for much of the true filtration media - the grit, and I would also worry that you'll be washing a lot of it out during each backwash. If you go the 30 gallon route, use a street 90 angled up in the waste outlet during backwash (a trick I just learned from birdman) to keep the grit in the barrel during backwash and keep it from going to waste.

carlso
04-03-2014, 03:06 PM
Bill,

Are there any paint manufacturers close to you. If so, check to see if they have any drums that last contained a solvent or thinner. I did this with two thinner drums, cleaned heavily with water, ammonia, more water and finally let PP sit in them for a couple of days. I have had them in service for 3 years and never a problem with contaminants.

Carl

Jaymeseywaymsey
04-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Per Kent Wallace, your S/G filter is good for 630 GPH per square foot of surface area. I'm not sure of the dimensions of your 30 gallon barrel but that should give you a good starting point.