PDA

View Full Version : What treatments should I give koi just out of mud pond and in quarantine?

daisymae1561
04-23-2012, 05:55 AM
Have koi in quarantine that are just out of mud pond. Any regular treatments suggested. They all look good and seem happy. I don't want to jeopardize my other koi when adding them to liner pond. Thanks for your time and advice.

Sp00ks
04-23-2012, 06:46 AM
I've only ever seen salt used to treat fish fresh out of the mud. However, I am no expert on this by any means and that process is usually complete by the time I purchase them.

What is the water temp in the QT?

Do you have a sacrificial fish from your pond in your QT with the new ones?

Basically I'm replying to bump your post so the experts can reply.

Oh yeah, and Welcome!

kwickcut
04-23-2012, 08:12 AM
this is just my thoughts!!!! the koi should be treated just like any others that you have purchased from a dealer or anywhere else. depending on the temperate minimum 4 weeks in quarantine. follow the same treatment that as if the koi is new to you. there is no telling what has happened to the koi in the mud pond and should be handled as if it could be infected it sick

kwick

Oakridge
04-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Most of the time, koi comming from mud ponds usually will have some type of parasite. They need to be scraped and scoped to find out what kind of bug present and then treated. GG

wayne1
04-25-2012, 03:30 AM
you have to give 4 weeks as koi will have lice eggs in the gut swallowed in the mud and other parasites is a strong possability here so let them clean out first and if a parasite shows signs in four weeks treat it !I use choloromine T,first two weeks as a pre caution and then add salt at 0.5ozs uk per uk gallon and this will keep stress down and stop white spot ''ick '' affecting the koi .

A four week min is a must as water birds will carry many parasites and can easily be transfered to your main pond with no outward signs !as most parasites are in the koi's gut carried in the mud and clay it eats from the bottom of the mud ponds !.

so QTank is a must for any body transfering koi from mud ponds ! and makes for a good healthy stock !.

ben5020
04-29-2012, 10:27 AM
I like to use salt at .3 for the first week to relax the fish, do water changes to get rid of salt then dimilin, then proform-c, if you are comfortable with potassium permangenate this works very well but use extremem caution, know your exact gallons.
Ben