PDA

View Full Version : Cymbidium flower spikes

BriAnDaren
02-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Hi,

Could someone tell me if this new growth is a flower spike or just a new bulb.
https://sites.google.com/site/brianandaren/home/P2140003.JPG

Also, this plant has several bulbs which have lost all of their leaves and turned black (right hand side of above picture). When should these bulbs be removed?

Thank you.

kby103
02-14-2012, 01:00 PM
[QUOTE=BriAnDaren;2125692]Hi,

Could someone tell me if this new growth is a flower spike or just a new bulb.
https://sites.google.com/site/brianandaren/home/P2140003.JPG

Try this link:
http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/41420-cymbidium-spike-pseudobulb.html
Sounds like if it is solid, it is new growth. Hollow means spike.
Also, this plant has several bulbs which have lost all of their leaves and turned black (right hand side of above picture). When should these bulbs be removed?

I think if you research the internet, you will see that carrying too many leafless bulbs saps energy. I have a gongora in a basket that had about 25 leafless bulbs. I took off about 10-15, and it now has about 8 new bulbs developing. While I am not an expert, I think that regardless of the number of leafless bulbs, they should be green. I suspect that none of the black bulbs will have any viable roots, and are merely taking up room and fostering (or preparing to foster!) disease or bugs. I do leave some "brown" bulbs that are dead since they have simply died gracefully and dried out, but black get a quick exit. So, if they are squishy- I would take them out now to avoid rot (just trimming at the leve of the bark is a quick fix). If they are firm, you can probably wait to see if you have a spike- and wait until after the bloom to disturb the plant.

Jim

gander
02-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Its been years since I had one of those Orchids. I never could get it to bloom. I would say that is new leaves coming up though,

BriAnDaren
02-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the link Jim. I did the squeeze test and it didn't feel hollow ... darn it. I'll have to get rid of the dead bulbs in the spring when I repot.

Gander, it's discouraging to hear that your Cymbidium never bloomed. I'm starting to think I'm wasting my time with this plant.

gander
02-15-2012, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the link Jim. I did the squeeze test and it didn't feel hollow ... darn it. I'll have to get rid of the dead bulbs in the spring when I repot.

Gander, it's discouraging to hear that your Cymbidium never bloomed. I'm starting to think I'm wasting my time with this plant. I heard one time that they required some cold time to bloom not freezing but different temps.

gander
02-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Cymbidium Growing Instructions

Most cymbidium hybrids are built from a half-dozen or so cymbidium species. These species are native to the foothills of the Himalayas and mountainous areas of Burma, Thailand, and Vietnam.
In sub-tropical areas such as California, cymbidiums are standard outdoor plants year-round. Cymbidiums are not suited for growing indoors year-round because they require high light in the daytime and cool temperatures** at night, but they may be brought indoors when in bloom.

**For the Best Blooming of your Cymbidiums, keep them outdoors or in a place which is cool at night (40-55F is ideal and they are tolerant down to freezing) until the first flower opens. In temperatures that are too warm, buds may drop. If the location has bright filtered light, the flower colors will be brighter. As the flowers begin to open, you can display the plant where you like.**

http://www.sborchid.com/GrowingGuides/culture-cym.htm

KatieVL
02-15-2012, 07:25 AM
That is a new bulb spike growing off of the old bulb. The old (called a back bulb) will feed the new bulb until is it large enough. The old bulb won't flower again, but the new one will.

It is also time to divide the plant and remove the old brown bulbs.

Neli
02-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Garry mine are doing so well, I plant the leafless bulbs in charcoal and get new plants!

quinten
02-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Garry mine are doing so well, I plant the leafless bulbs in charcoal and get new plants!

WOW Neli ,

Nice plant and the nice coulor to.

Regards

Quinten

Neli
02-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Again Q got it from your country! SA.

BriAnDaren
02-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments.
We have one phalaenopsis and one miltassia and were able to get both to bloom. Kinda figured we got this 'orchid thing' figured out. :) Guess not. I'll have to do some reading.

Very nice Cymbidium Neli! A flower spike from such a tiny plant grown in charcoal?! I really do need to do some reading.

Daren

Neli
02-15-2012, 12:33 PM
I dont think U will find any where to plant cymbidium in charcoal...I planted it because that is all I have...added a bit of cow manure inside and a tiny bit of soil...But it seems they all like the charcoal. It sweetens the soil, and provides drainage and air.

Lilybell
02-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Thank-you Gary for the info,very helpfull~