PDA

View Full Version : Grafting tomatoes.

FIT BMX
01-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Have any of you grafted tomatoes? I want to give it a shot this year, and I thought some more info would be good.:)

gander
01-14-2012, 10:20 AM
I have never seen anyone graft an annual plant before,

cottagefog
01-14-2012, 11:47 AM
My dad use to toy with grafting tomatoes. There is a great video on youtube. Type in "Grafting of Tomato Plants".The Girl does a great job of showing you how to graft.

FIT BMX
01-14-2012, 01:47 PM
This is the site I found http://www.johnnyseeds.com/t-video_tomato_grafting.aspx?source=GraftedTomatoes.
Did your dad have much luck?

gunnar wordon
06-23-2012, 07:11 PM
what's the point? Are you doing it to improve the plant, to save the plant, to ease growing a harder to grow tomato, or just to experiment? I've never heard of anybody doing it..... but it could be worth a try!

lukef
06-23-2012, 11:14 PM
DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you can keep a mater plant alive long enough to graft on it then you are the Mater King.

avorancher
06-24-2012, 02:29 AM
I'd like to graft a tomato to some of my weed rootstock. I would have bloom and fruit within a week with no water or fertilizer. And if I didn't cut it down, I would have an acre of them next year. :)

FIT BMX
06-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Well I did not have a proper humidity dome setup for them, so only one lived.:(
But the one that lived is doing great! He is a lot smaller than the rest of the tomatoes, but that is because I got him in over two months later than the others! (I got really behind).
I put a heirloom top on a hybrid root stock. This will give me a heirloom tomato, with the hybrid disease resistant.:)

I will post some pics later tonight.:)

Shadow99
07-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Have any of you grafted tomatoes? I want to give it a shot this year, and I thought some more info would be good.:)

I haven't but I have read some interesting threads about it. Tomatoville is my favorite place by far for all things tomato related. Here is one of the grafting threads I was talking about.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=17652

Shadow99
07-01-2012, 04:22 PM
what's the point? Are you doing it to improve the plant, to save the plant, to ease growing a harder to grow tomato, or just to experiment? I've never heard of anybody doing it..... but it could be worth a try!

It is very big in Japan, and New Zealand. There you can buy grafted plants commercially. Seems to have the most benefit with commercial producers for what I've read. For the average home gardener, you aren't going to see much difference most of the time, but I'm a big fan of garden experiments so I say go for it.

Stacy

FIT BMX
07-01-2012, 07:19 PM
I did it mostly for fun. I start all my plants from seed, so if I kill a one or two flats I am only out a buck or two. It is a lot of fun trying these kind of experiments. Two years ago I used rooting hormone to clone a peach tree, in less than one summer I had a 3' peach tree, and it is still growing like crazy!

Here is the grafted tomato.
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n628/FIT_BMX/graftedtomato002.jpg

This is the graft joint now!
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n628/FIT_BMX/graftedtomato003.jpg

Here are the rest of my tomatoes, and like I said I got them in over two months earlier. So there much bigger!
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n628/FIT_BMX/graftedtomato004.jpg
And my shade frame for the tomatoes I just got up today!:yahoo::oyes:
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n628/FIT_BMX/graftedtomato005.jpg

FIT BMX
07-01-2012, 07:23 PM
I haven't but I have read some interesting threads about it. Tomatoville is my favorite place by far for all things tomato related. Here is one of the grafting threads I was talking about.

Thanks a lot for that link!:)
It is great. I will have to do a lot of reading on there.:)

Shadow99
07-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks a lot for that link!:)
It is great. I will have to do a lot of reading on there.:)

Oh drat I should have warned you. Based on your current great looking crop and your interest in tomato experimentation, you will likely find yourself rapidly addicted to that place. It is the best on the web, by far. The depth of expertise you get there cannot be matched. Tom Wagner, Carolyn Male, etc all post there as do the original group that set up Seed Savers. See you over there!

Stacy

Cowiche Ponder
07-03-2012, 02:11 AM
DH played with grafting tomatoes this year. I will have to ask him what he grafted and see if I can find some result plants. He as much did it to see how easy/hard it was. But, he has a bit of experience in grafting, just not tomatoes!

Just Jessie
07-03-2012, 10:55 AM
If anyone can do it successfully Dan can!!!!!

Sadia
07-05-2012, 10:46 AM
It is very big in Japan, and New Zealand. There you can buy grafted plants commercially. Seems to have the most benefit with commercial producers for what I've read. For the average home gardener, you aren't going to see much difference most of the time, but I'm a big fan of garden experiments so I say go for it.

Stacy

When I lived in San Francisco I would see them quite often at the local boutique garden centers. They were pretty popular and had quite the buzz to them on the garden centers facebook pages. I've not seen them here in Mass though...

Shadow99
07-15-2012, 07:58 PM
When I lived in San Francisco I would see them quite often at the local boutique garden centers. They were pretty popular and had quite the buzz to them on the garden centers facebook pages. I've not seen them here in Mass though...

I've never seen them around the Chicago area either, but I only grow from seeds so I could have easily missed them.

Stacy

gunnar wordon
08-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Yes, well I tried this and it worked!.... I am in Florida now but when I get home I'll post pictures!

JamesK
08-14-2012, 02:24 AM
I grew commercial grafted tomatoes this year. They really need water as they want to grow like crazy. I just wasn't watering enough. They're about 5' tall and still growing.

JamesK
08-14-2012, 02:25 AM
I forgot to mention the brand is Mighty 'Mato.

Paultergeist
08-14-2012, 05:40 PM

Holy crap! A forum dedicated entirely to tomatoes!

Shadow99
08-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Holy crap! A forum dedicated entirely to tomatoes!

Oh honey, if you want me to start pushing the tomato crack, that forum is just the tip of a very big iceberg. There are a whole lot of obsessed tomato growers out there. *cough* me *cough*
Stacy

FIT BMX
09-14-2012, 01:23 PM
My grafted tomato grow very fast, but cooked in the sun. It was just to hot!:(

Shadow99
09-14-2012, 01:58 PM
My grafted tomato grow very fast, but cooked in the sun. It was just to hot!:(

That sucks. :(
The tomatoes I got this year tasted unbelievable. Unfortunately the drought brought the deer into the yards and this year they had a taste for tomato foliage. I lost a whole lot of new plant types. That hurt but not as much as the Himalayan blue poppy that also bit it.

The healthiest, most productive tomato plants I have this are a couple of volunteers that I let live because they were good looking. These things are huge and have given me some really big tasty tomatoes this year. I am going to save some seeds and plant them in the ground to try and get some on purpose volunteers this spring. This plan has the peeps on the tomato forum rolling their eyes but I like to experiment.

Stacy

FIT BMX
09-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Starting tomatoes in the ground works very well. I have a friend that grow tomatoes for 40 years that way, and it worked great!:)

I am going to try grafting again next year, and I will post on how it goes.:)

Shadow99
03-11-2013, 07:16 PM

The folks at Tomatoville have sucked me in on trying this, this year. So far many are having huge fatality rates the first time or two but everyone is getting better. This thread has a lot of tips.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=26079

I ordered some Maxifort root stock seed today and the grafting clips. This seed is pricey! Yowza. I've planted started 16 heirloom varieties today and if all goes as planned I'm hoping to have side by side comparisons for grafted versus not for most of them.

Have you started yet?
-Stacy

Just Jessie
03-11-2013, 09:35 PM
I have rooted the side shoots off of "pricey" maters. You can keep them going in the house over the winter and them "restart" them in the spring.

FIT BMX
03-12-2013, 02:18 PM
I am planing on grafting a few this year. I will most likely use a Jetsetter for root stock, I already have a lot of them so I can use a few extras.
I am already a member Tomato ville, but I have not read that post yet, thanks!:)

Shadow99
03-12-2013, 05:57 PM
I have rooted the side shoots off of "pricey" maters. You can keep them going in the house over the winter and them "restart" them in the spring.

I've heard of that but winter is long and I don't have the patience. :)

Grafting is a little different. In grafting you grow two tomato types, one which is essentially inedbile but grows really fast and is highly resistant to various different tomato diseases. The other is your favorite one to eat. Then when both plants are very young you cut their stems so that you attach the yummy eater top to the fast grower/disease resistant bottom.

If it works, its a great way to increase harvest, particularly if like you garden without pesticides/fungicides, chemical fertilizers. What I'm learning about it though is the learning curve is not simple, that I should expect a whole lot of fatalities the first few tries. That's OK though. I like trying new stuff.

-Stacy