PDA

View Full Version : Ferd tabs?

FIT BMX
10-11-2011, 07:08 PM
I found these home made tabs on an aquarium forum for 0.25 each. Do they sound like they would work for water garden plants?:scratch:

Well I cant give out amounts but if youre like me you like knowing what goes in your tank. Plantex CSM+b(very large amounts), magnesium sulfate, potassium sulfate, potassium nitrate, all wrapped in an iron rich red clay. This is formulated without kno3 I did alot of research and many advised against adding kno3 to tabs that are used for medium to heavily planted tanks. These tabs were made for my pfs and they made my crypts shoot out new leaves like crazy.
Any help would be great!:winks:

CraigP
10-11-2011, 07:17 PM
It is hard to say; I don't see where they give the rates for NPK or the total amount of fertilizer the tabs contain....with the information given, I can't see how you are going to figure out dosage for a water garden plant.

0.25 strikes me as expensive. Granted I buy in bulk (4k tablets ) but they land me just under a nickel.

FIT BMX
10-11-2011, 11:37 PM
What do you use?

CraigP
10-13-2011, 06:27 AM
When I use tabs, I use a product by an outfit named Plantabbs they sell as Pondtabbs Plus.

ComputerGuy
10-13-2011, 09:53 AM
I like osmocote because of the gradual release. It seems to keep the algae blooms down.

CraigP
10-13-2011, 01:16 PM
I agree completely with using Osmocote and that is what I use when I pot plants up at the start of the season, but once it is spent, tabs are just an easier way for me to go. Particularly with the Vics where I can go thru a couple hundred tabs a week; I can't imagine how I'd get another dose of Osmocote to them.

Nutricote has been highly recommended to me by a number of people whose opinions I value, so I plan to see what the fuss is about. Nutricote was formulated for wet conditions....it was developed in Japan for fertilizing rice paddies...and is said to have a more even release. I got a bag of it, but haven't tried it yet; but given the price difference it better be ****** good stuff.<g>

FIT BMX
10-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Money is always an problem right now,I'm starting my greenhouse build today so that is were a lot of my money is going.
That's great info thanks so much!!:)

CraigP
10-13-2011, 07:59 PM
I for sure also understand that money can be tight and 4k tabs might not be the way to go, even as cheap as they are per tab.<g> Thing is, you need to look at the money per dose and on that I have no idea how many .25 aquarium tabs you would need. But I think you can get 4.5 lbs of Osmocote 14-14-14 at Home Depot or Lowes for around $14 dollars and at an ounce an application, that works out to slightly less than .20 a pot ( assuming a gallon pot) so may actually be the less expensive way to go.

FIT BMX
10-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Sounds great!
Thanks so much for the help!:)