PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned about slightly less than 1cm of water lost in 24hrs?

Selenium
09-19-2011, 11:59 PM
I just filled my pond with water. Temp was 60-65 today with the sun out. I took my water to the Savio Skimmer line and after 24hrs I noticed it's now about 1cm lower.

Russell Peters
09-20-2011, 12:10 AM
That seems like a bit much for evaporation this time of year.

Selenium
09-20-2011, 12:17 AM
Ok...will let you know what it looks like by Friday.

Joey S
09-20-2011, 12:35 AM
I had to convert cm to inches. One cm is just under .4 inches. Evaporation wouldn't account for that much as little as it is in 24 hours. First time running all the filters/pumps? Could it have been taken up in filters, pads, media, drawdown or other places?

Selenium
09-20-2011, 01:26 AM
Looking at closely it's more like 1/4"

Russell Peters
09-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Looking at closely it's more like 1/4"

That's better than 1cm but keep an eye on it.

icu2
09-20-2011, 09:38 AM
You can see a 1/4" drop??? :scratch: On a new pond, personally, I wouldn't worry much.
Little drips and such often have ways of fixing themselves... although mine all work on a
"leak through" system. :rolleyes:

Selenium
09-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Yes, I'm looking at the Savio Skimmer...where the waterline mark is where I took it to and where the line is now reference by the screws. Water is moving so hard to tell a bit due to the wet mark and the actual waterline

You can see a 1/4" drop??? :scratch: On a new pond, personally, I wouldn't worry much.
Little drips and such often have ways of fixing themselves... although mine all work on a
"leak through" system. :rolleyes:

stevek
09-20-2011, 10:19 AM
1/4 inch is not much, if the humidity is low, the sun is out all day, and you have a waterfall or other water feature causing surface turbulence.

Selenium
09-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Update: It's been 36 hrs now and it's dropped another 1/4" so now roughtly 1cm. I'm only running my skimmer and returning via TPRs so turbulance. Waterfall and rivers are not hook up yet.

Russell Peters
09-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Update: It's been 36 hrs now and it's dropped another 1/4" so now roughtly 1cm. I'm only running my skimmer and returning via TPRs so turbulance. Waterfall and rivers are not hook up yet.

It sounds like sometyhing may be going on. Try letting it sit, without running, so you can see if it still drops. I am assuming you have no fish in there yet.

Selenium
09-20-2011, 04:24 PM
If it continue to leak when I get home...should I pump the water out below the skimmer to isolate the skimmer as the cause or not???

Selenium
09-21-2011, 10:57 AM
I turned off my skimmer pump that was feeding the 5 TPRs for 24 hrs and the water line was holding. This tells me:

1. Skimmer plate is fine.
2. Piping in the pond for the TRPs and BDs are are
3. Liner is fine.

4. I might have leak somewhere in the pipes above ground feeding the TPRs I did a few ferncos. The one I have access to I tighten them up already, the one that are burried I need to do some digging.

I_Broke_It
09-22-2011, 12:46 AM
4. I might have leak somewhere in the pipes above ground feeding the TPRs I did a few ferncos. The one I have access to I tighten them up already, the one that are burried I need to do some digging.

I am glad this is my worst night mare, a leak. It is great that it is in a place that is relatively easy to fix. Hope you find it quickly. Look for wet dirt.

Good luck.

Selenium
09-23-2011, 12:49 PM
I jumped the gun on this...it was still leaking even with the pump turned off.

1. So I tighten up on the screws on the large savio skimmer plate, 24 hrs later it was still leaking (seems a bit less).

2. I dropped the pond level below the skimmer plate, 10 hrs later the waterline is holding. I'm planning on monitoring it for 36 hrs.

Saturday morning I will take off the plate and PL the heck out of the inner and outter liner, skimmer face and skimmer plate and hope that will solve this leak.

I turned off my skimmer pump that was feeding the 5 TPRs for 24 hrs and the water line was holding. This tells me:

1. Skimmer plate is fine.
2. Piping in the pond for the TRPs and BDs are are
3. Liner is fine.

Selenium
09-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Feeling hopelessness.....after sealing up my Savio skimmer plate...the pond is still leaking.

Marilyn
09-27-2011, 09:06 PM
I don't have any words of wisdom let alone a fix for you. I'm sorry you're having problems. Hopefully someone will have a solution for you.

Are you pretty confident the leak stopped once the water level dropped below the skimmer? Was it damp where the skimmer connects to the plumbing?