PDA

View Full Version : Foam Fractionator

Razoola
09-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Hi, when we bought our home a few years back it came with a mud pond. Like many other I want to try and find ways to improve water clarity but to this day I have not found a system that seems to work. Of course I don't expect crystal clear water but it would be nice to be able to see 40 to 50 cm into it.

We have areation and I though that was the cause but have found while turning the areation off for a few days improoves clarity it soom becomes cloudy again of its own accord. I tried lifting the airstones higher (about 50cm from the bottom) but it did not seem to help. This leads me to a seperate question about diffusers, Is it true that course diffusers cause more clairty issues when compared to fine bubble diffusers? If so why?

What I really want to know however is if anyone has experimented with foam fractionators on their mud ponds? I would like to know if making one could help with water clarity issues or am I barking up the wrong tree that making one could help.

Warm regards from cold Finland, Raz

stephen
09-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Hi, when we bought our home a few years back it came with a mud pond. Like many other I want to try and find ways to improve water clarity but to this day I have not found a system that seems to work. Of course I don't expect crystal clear water but it would be nice to be able to see 40 to 50 cm into it.

We have areation and I though that was the cause but have found while turning the areation off for a few days improoves clarity it soom becomes cloudy again of its own accord. I tried lifting the airstones higher (about 50cm from the bottom) but it did not seem to help. This leads me to a seperate question about diffusers, Is it true that course diffusers cause more clairty issues when compared to fine bubble diffusers? If so why?

What I really want to know however is if anyone has experimented with foam fractionators on their mud ponds? I would like to know if making one could help with water clarity issues or am I barking up the wrong tree that making one could help.

Warm regards from cold Finland, Raz

Hello Raz. Not much you can do on a mud pond:no: Can you post a picture of it?

Welcome:yes:

Razoola
09-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Sure, these three were taken last year after we drained and cleaned it. Half of it is a natural rock bottom with alot of clay over, the side the pictures are taken from is Mud.

http://unibios.free.fr/pond1-260910a.jpg

http://unibios.free.fr/pond2-260910a.jpg

http://unibios.free.fr/pond3-260910a.jpg

rifraf
09-16-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm definitely no expert here. But in order to help you with your situation these great people here will need to know about filtration? if you have any. Is this pond a closed system? or do you have some source of water comming in and going out? you call it a mud pond? does this mean you have no type of liner or shell holding water?
You definitely should give the dimensions of your pond, and describe you're over all system. You have any pumps turning the water? if so how much water you turning? what type of filtration are you running your water through?
Anyway, hope you get the idea. :D
Oh yeah and POST PICTURES!!! a picture says a 1,000 words ;)
Best of luck!!!! :)
-Mike

stephen
09-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Beautiful pond. Not much you can do for clarity tho.

Razoola
09-16-2011, 11:40 PM
There is no liner or filtration. It is not spring or well fed either it only gets filled by rain water. It holds around 250,000 litres.

Sp00ks
09-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Most every mud pond I have ever seen looks very similar to yours.

Razoola
09-17-2011, 01:02 PM
So using a foam fractionator on a mud pond is not going to give any advantage at all, even advantages not related to clarity?

stephen
09-17-2011, 02:02 PM
So using a foam fractionator on a mud pond is not going to give any advantage at all, even advantages not related to clarity?

That is correct. Massive aeration is the best you can do.