PDA

View Full Version : Bog & Veggie Filter Project 2005

Susan Reed
02-20-2005, 12:08 PM
:yes: Anyone interested in joining this project may do so at any time. The goal of this project is to learn about these types of filter/gardens and what can grow in them. This venturer will run from now, Feb 20, 2005 to Oct. 31, 2005. Your prize will be the masterpiece you created!! :cool:

:rolleyes: Getting started: Decide on which one or both you want to do. Make a plan and design and what sort of plants you are going to use. Post your plan on this thread and a picture of the water feature to this thread and once a month you will report on your progress with a updated picture of your creation. If you use any sort of fertilizers please note them. If you have questions or need help use your "pm" or address them here on the thread to Kntry who will be our advisor :cool:

Good Luck & Happy Water Gardening!!!

ChrisC
02-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Count me in! I love experimenting with what non-bog plants will actually thrive in a bog!

CarolinaGirl
02-20-2005, 02:23 PM
I plan to use one of the waterall ponds as a veggie filter...with soil-less planting only. I am going to try just weighting them down a d dropping them in. Plus a bunch of floaters.

Susan Reed
02-20-2005, 02:48 PM
:confused:

Perhaps someone could please put a list of the different types of plants that could be used in such a project as a starting point ? :thinking: :yes:

Kyponds&perennials
02-20-2005, 03:41 PM
I do not have a bog, just a veggie filter that I use oxygenators and floaters in. Plants grow like crazy. I usually start out with 6 plants and end up with around 300 or so by the end of season. It is one of the best imo things to do for your pond. Here is a list of perennials that can be used in a bog according to a book I have:
Monkshood, bugle( ajuga), goat's beard, swamp milkweed(butterfly weed), astilbe, masterwort, cuckoo flower,turtlehead, bugbane, shooting stars, joe pye weed, marsh spurge, snake head fritillary, willow gentian, geum, gunnera, daylily, hosta, impatiens, japenese iris, siberian flag, summer snowflake, ligularia "the rocket", cardinal flower, skunk cabbage, creeping jenny, loosestrife, himalayan blue poppy, monkey flower, butterwort, primula, cowslip. pitcher plant, kaffir lily, comfrey, globeflower,mophead hydrangea.
Hope this helps .

Kathy W
02-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Count me in. I will have a veggie filter. As of right now there will be water lilies, water celery and parrots feather. More plants will be added as I get them.

I hope I can start working on it sometime in March.

OttawaPonder
02-20-2005, 05:27 PM
:thinking: I don't recall, in chat last night, who all asked about how I do my Bogs. :thinking:

I do not want to steal this thread so I have plans of starting a thread trying my best to outline how I prefer to do them. I started working on the outline this morning I will post it soon.

Since my bog is already done I guess I have to pass on this one.
So good luck to the rest of you!!!

OttawaPonder
02-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Susan, and anyone else who asked about how I do my bog areas; I posted a thread to hopefully get some more people chiming in about how they do theirs.

Thread name: How I Build A Bog
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12562

Hope it helps. If anyone recalls someone else who wanted to know would you PLEASE let them know too.

Thanks so much, Take Care, Tony

Noahsnana
02-21-2005, 11:57 PM
I would like to learn how to do a veggie filter :yes:

OttawaPonder
02-27-2005, 08:33 AM
:thinking: Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Its the one to the left of Pooh bear..
MRS got it from our supplier and its did not have a name tag. And with me being so bad with names - if its not on my shirt I some times even forget who I am. LOL

The plant in question is behind the mint and the far left cannalilly leaf is hanging over it. The leaves on the plant I am asking about looks like arrows.
http://usera.imagecave.com/OttawaPonder/Pond_Stuff/WinniethePoohundertheCannaLillieleaf7-2.jpg

Thanks