PDA

View Full Version : New Gravity flow votex setup with microstrainer

wlim
02-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Here is an example of our combo unit using 3 wave 36 vortex filters. In the first tank you will see the vortex settlement chamber, next we have the vortex settlement tank with micron strainer feeding into the last vortex settlent tank with floating bio media. This setup is powered by a wave II 1/4 hp pump, which is turning the micron stariner at 3.6 seconds per rovolution. Feel free to give us any comments on this setup. All feedback is welcome.

wanman
02-18-2005, 12:34 PM
More pictures please WLim
Those were just enough to wet my appetite

wlim
02-18-2005, 01:00 PM
We are going to be adding a clear windows to the filters so that when we take it to trade shows people will be able to actually watch it working, up close. Unfortunatly it is raining right now and we will have to postpone the modifications till monday. We will keep you posted.

auntiesue
02-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Here is an example of our combo unit using 3 wave 36 vortex filters. In the first tank you will see the vortex settlement chamber, next we have the vortex settlement tank with micron strainer feeding into the last vortex settlent tank with floating bio media. This setup is powered by a wave II 1/4 hp pump, which is turning the micron stariner at 3.6 seconds per rovolution. Feel free to give us any comments on this setup. All feedback is welcome.

I've looked at a version of this microstrainer for some time now. I'd like to know how it is plumbed, if it is. I can't seem to wrap my head around how the plumbing works when incorporating it into a settling chamber. I've looked at the tech drawings in the AES catalog, but I don't get it. I just must be mechanically challenged... :D:

wlim
02-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Here is a few more photos of the whole setup itself and also to show you a size comparison of the micron strainer. This setup will also feature a spray bar into the micron strainer to keep the strainer clean. More to come.

auntiesue
02-19-2005, 01:32 AM
Here is a few more photos of the whole setup itself and also to show you a size comparison of the micron strainer. This setup will also feature a spray bar into the micron strainer to keep the strainer clean. More to come.

Ok, if you add a spray bar to keep the micron strainer clean, what happens to the fines that it captured? Where does that go? Back into the water collum only smaller? :thinking:

luke-gr
02-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Sue, with the spraybars the fines are sprayed off the screen and will stay in the larger container (vortex) until water is drained.

wcstory
02-19-2005, 10:36 AM
This thread was split by me as per Karl's request to allow Mr. Lim's filtration and Karl's questions to be answered individually.

Thanks,
Bill

Harveythekoi
02-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Seems the set ups are reversed on some pics. What's the 4" pipe between the bio vortex and the settlement one? Is that just a return for testing?

And it seems your pumping into the bio from the screen chamber, is that correct? Then gravity flow back out to????

Almost wish I had room for a third so I could have just a settlement one also. Take advantage of the full cyclonic effect with no piping to interfere.

Garrett

Noahsnana
02-19-2005, 03:17 PM
We are going to be adding a clear windows to the filters so that when we take it to trade shows people will be able to actually watch it working, up close. Unfortunatly it is raining right now and we will have to postpone the modifications till monday. We will keep you posted.

Will this be at the show in Orlando?

Koikeeper2you
02-19-2005, 07:57 PM
It is the "ANSWER"
William is Da Man...........

schildkoi
02-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Changing the positioning of the tanks works well. Bet you have to down size to a 1/8 or 1/6 hp Wave though :) Yoiu said you are going to make a screen at 100 micron?

Steve

Mr Pete
02-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Hey William,

I couldn't stop staring at your second picture in the thread. It shows you adding water into the vortex tank and the air pump balanced precariously on a board which is hanging over the tank.

I hope the air pump is plugged into a GFI -
Because you are to important to fry. :334:

Sarge
02-19-2005, 09:41 PM
Very nice William :yes: :yes:

wlim
02-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Seems the set ups are reversed on some pics. What's the 4" pipe between the bio vortex and the settlement one? Is that just a return for testing?

And it seems your pumping into the bio from the screen chamber, is that correct? Then gravity flow back out to????

Almost wish I had room for a third so I could have just a settlement one also. Take advantage of the full cyclonic effect with no piping to interfere.

Garrett

1/4hp wave II is a very strong powerful pump. I don't want to over flow the water.in filter tank. So, I just return to the first settlement tank. The water suppose to go to the pond. This demonstration only.

Koin-Onia
02-20-2005, 12:30 AM
William is this the system you are doing for me?

auntiesue
02-20-2005, 12:30 AM
The picture shown earlier shows the micro strainer out of the barrel. This helps me understand the plumbing a lot. It looks like the water comes into the barrel, then the pvc turn upwards (elbow). The micro strainer then rests on top of that. The micro strainer has a center "water diffuser" which then forces the water into the strainer where fines are trapped. The spray bar then will clean the screen to later be washed to waste. Do I have this right?

Koi is the Best
06-02-2005, 08:59 PM
I know this is an old post but I really like the setup, my question is how would the plumbing work. I made a diagram for the setup I want to use, but not sure about the plumbing.

Sarge
06-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Chris, I am installing this on my pond - what is your question in regards to the pump? Size? or Location??

Koi is the Best
06-02-2005, 09:55 PM
For my main pump I use a Sequence with a flowrate of 3800 GPH @ 2'. For the microstrainer I will be using a submersible rated at 500 CAPH. I will DIY all the filter components, and be following c5hardtop [How To] DIY VMS (microstrainer).

The question I have is between the S.C. and the Microscreen S.C. , would the way my diagram is be the preferred method to route the plumbing?

wlim
06-02-2005, 11:19 PM
The diagram for this setup, the pump picking up the water from inside of the screen. some push throu the spray bar( aprox 8gal per minutes), the rest goes to the bio chamber. Then, gravity back to the pond. The setup has been in fact for more than 7 years with patent issue (US6398038B1). This is the highest efficient setup, we really do not need any additional pump to help maintenant the screen cleaness. Actually, it needs only a 1/4hp wave II 399watts to operate a pond up to 10,000gal. It is been tested successfully by US government argriculture department and support by Aquatic Eco-Systems to come to what we have today. Anyone have any question regarding the setup, feel free to give us a call. The setup will also be display at the chantilly Va. Koi show Aug 12, 2005.
Come visit us at the booth. We will have special for this setup throu dealers.

Kent Wallace
06-02-2005, 11:58 PM
You don't neede an extra pump top run the spray bars unless the main pump isn't flowing enough to rotate the strainer. Just tee off the pump outlet and retrurn it back to the spray bar assembly. On my tank ( 5 ft in diameter) it rotates slowl,y because of the large size but still keeps clean. :cool:

Ronin-Koi
06-03-2005, 01:07 AM
Hey, I'm glad this got bumped up since I never saw the original thread... can Kent, William, Sarge, or anyone else that has pics of this system in full operation with the spray bars installed post more photos?

William, due to space limitations, I would consider this system if you think using two Wave 36 chambers instead of 3 would still be effective. I would use the 250 micro microstrainer in the first settlement chamber, and then use bio media in the second chamber, flowing to the pump with part of the output tapped to go back into the spray bar.

Would you recommend this, or is the microstrainer really intended to go in a second settlement chamber after all the bulk waste has been settled out as you have shown.

Thanks,
- Wayne, needs visuals to understand what is going on.

Koi is the Best
06-03-2005, 12:40 PM
due to space limitations, I would consider this system if you think using two Wave 36 chambers instead of 3 would still be effective.

I may be in the same boat as you with space limitations. I redid my drawing after getting Kents and Williams input. I want to make sure I have a good understanding of this system before I start cutting holes in my 55 gallon drums.

wlim
06-03-2005, 01:37 PM
You do not need a 1st tank strictly for settlemnt. The settlement tank with microstrainer is more then adequete to be used for meachanical filtration.
On our setup we use our Bio wave Biological media (wave 36 filter can run up to 12 cubic ft) 10 cubic ft works great.

Kent Wallace
06-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Yes I would agree, eliminate the first tank. But then again William could use the sale. :eek:

wlim
06-06-2005, 11:55 AM
yes there is no need for a 1st settlement tank. Using the last tank as a bio tank is best, expecially when you incorporate our floating media and the use of a air stone kit and blower,this will work best. Bio ribbon and matting can take more maintnence and require more cleaning frequncies then with a floating bio media.
For all those interested, we will have our vortex setup on display in Chantilly. We have worked out with some local dealers to offer our equipment at a discount to members also.

Thanks

here is a picture

redhotkoi
06-06-2005, 02:34 PM
WLim

I don't see a spray in your last picture. Are you playing around with Garret and Nicco air lift idea or something else?

Andy

CarolinaGirl
06-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Is there any reason why the microstrainer could not be used in a square settling tank? Seems like it would work quite well!

redhotkoi
06-06-2005, 02:57 PM
I don't see why you can't the spray bar is turning the screen and not the water entering the vortex. The screen will have less crud to remove since the spinning force will remove the larger particle befor it gets to the screen.

luke-gr
06-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Is there any reason why the microstrainer could not be used in a square settling tank? Seems like it would work quite well!
Dunno if this will help you, CG, but I asked the same question of C5 about his DIY version. Check out the last page of this thread http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3929&page=3&highlight=microstrainer+square

CarolinaGirl
06-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks Luke...that's what I was looking for. Seems like it will work! Maybe I need a w.lim micro strainer!

Ryan S.
06-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks Luke...that's what I was looking for. Seems like it will work! Maybe I need a w.lim micro strainer!

It may depend on his design. Mine does not need any movement from the tank to help the rotation of the drum, other designs may. You need to be able to flush the entire tank volume, so the container it is is important. It may be best to have a valve you can close in front, then empty or pump out the entire volue of the camber. There is a lot of suspended particles in the tank, so with just a flush it can be challenging. So smaller is better for the flushes, but larger is better for general operation, where you want less chance of everything breaking up and passing the screen. You have a to make a compromise either way.

wlim
06-06-2005, 04:29 PM
yes in that picture of the micostrainer we did not have a sparay on it yet. It now has a sparay bar, . I am going to attach a picture of the unit running with a spray bar.

luke-gr
06-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Do the small "paddles" on the outside help turn it in a vortex or are they there for strength?

vipldy
03-30-2006, 10:19 PM
:d:

Dwight
03-30-2006, 11:02 PM
:d: yourself.

Noahsnana
04-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Bump I need more discussion on the install of microscreen please. I see the WaveII 1/4 will be enought to power the system.

Details Deatails details

Kent Wallace
04-16-2006, 12:25 AM
What do you need to know? What pipe size is the outlet on the microscreen?

Noahsnana
04-16-2006, 12:57 AM
Kent I think I have all the parts I need to know how to put it together... i have the Wave 36 and the microscreen :dunce: here

Do you have any detailed pics of an install?

kknudsen12
05-04-2006, 01:44 PM
I've just started looking at all this microstrainer stuff, and find it very interesting. Seems like a good way to eliminate a lot of junk in the water. I've grasped that the strainer spins around in the filter... how does it do that?

fishNpond
05-04-2006, 08:36 PM
the water comes into the round vortex on one side causing the water to swirl...heavier debris falls down to the bottom of the vortex settling there for you to clean out rather than going back into your pond or filtration system.

vipldy
05-26-2006, 03:06 PM
Anyone using Lims setup and Microstrainer and if so how do you like it?

Marie :)

auntiesue
05-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Karl installed at least one 4-pak here locally. Maybe more-I can't remember. The guy loves it!!

Sue