PDA

View Full Version : Daphnia Questions

Koijazz
01-27-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm really interested in raising daphnia to feed to my next batch of fry and I have some questions for people who have done it before:

1. How big of a container(s) did you raise them in?
2. How many containers of daphnia did you raise?
3. Is it best to have one big container, or multiple smaller ones?
4. Does the water smell from the yeast, green water, or whatever you fed them?
5. What did you feed them and how?
6. How soon before your fry hatched did you raise your daphnia?
7. This is probably the most important question: Was it a great success?
Thanks in advance!

kytalker
01-27-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm really interested in raising daphnia to feed to my next batch of fry and I have some questions for people who have done it before:

Thanks in advance!

Contact Tommygug.. I think he has raised it before.. I know he use to feed his fry that...

afertuna
01-28-2010, 02:30 AM
I just kept a 55 gallon drum in my backyard during the summer and just let the water go green and I dumped them into it and within a short time I had tons. When the green water was clear I moved them to another container. I just bought some eggs so I can hatch them throut the year and I have an outside pond that I have heaters with some fish in it that I let go green I am going to bring some of the water inside and breed them in a tank. Ichthius is another person tht has had sucess with Daphnia. I personally just do brine shrimp for the koi and goldfish fry. Daphnia for older fish. I just like it better that way.
Allen

DebbieKSW
01-28-2010, 03:05 AM
They like green water,air,some boiled lettuce or a pinch of fry powder weekly.

Also they come back each year as they leave eggs in the water.

CHICHI
01-28-2010, 05:54 AM
Check This Out (brine shrimp) :yes: http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88186&highlight=brine+shrimp+hatchery&page=2

One of our very Successful Amateur Breeders :yes: His Fry have Won Best Homegrown Last Year :cheer:

Tommygug
01-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Good Morning Koijazz,
I saw this last night but I figured I would do better to answer this morning

I had a 600 gal, 300 gallon tub, 100 gallon, and a few 5 gallon water bottles

I always have at least three different batches going in case anything happens to one of them

Both….

My tanks were outside, I never smelt anything foul.

I feed them spirulina and bakers yeast. Twice a day, I also had an airline in each tub for some water movement. I just would just sprinkle it on top of the water.

I brought mine on ebay about three weeks before I was going to spawn. I would fill all of my tanks with old water from pond. Never anything that came from the hose recently. In the water bottles, I would put some crushed leaves and old water and a few daphnia. Then leave in the sun. Once they started multiplying, I would start the 300 & 100 gallon tubs. In a few days I could fill half of an 8 inch net per pull. I would spawn the fish in the 600 gal tank, then remove the fish back to my pond and move the eggs to the 300 gallon tub full of daphnia. I would also start freezing the excess daphnia into ice cube trays for later use. This worked out fine. I would then start the daphnia in the 600 tank.
Once the fry hatched they would eat the spirulina, bakers yeast and newly hatched daphnia. In a week or so the fry would consume every thing in the tank. I would supplement them with frozen and live from the other vats. Once the 600 tank was full with daphnia, I would do my first cull. The keepers went into the 600 tank full of Daphnia. I got six weeks of feeding from the daphnia. The daphnia don't seem to like really hot water, I am going to try growing them in the shade in the early summer to stretch the season. Be sure to keep a check on tobies, I seemed to have a lot of them. This may have been caused by all of the live food. It's a 100 percent protein I think
Overall, I would have to say yes. The initial growth and color on my fry was super. My main issue was I kept too many fry. This year I am going to cull more rigidly. This was my second attempt at raising fry. This year’s fish were much better quality then the years before however I had better growth the year before. The first year I raised 100 fry to 5 to 7 inches. This year I had 500 koi 2 to 4 inches. I am going to dig a grow out pond this spring to help with my density problem. I am going to limit my tosai to 200. I will be raising daphnia again.

I hope this helps…

TommyG

Koijazz
01-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I'll let you guys know how everything turns out this year.

Tommygug
01-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Send Pictures!!!! I will try to do the same!!!!

expat
01-29-2010, 11:45 AM
I am also interested in starting a daphnia culture but can only find kits for scientific use wich seem pretty expensive. Anyone know where to by eggs or live daphnia at a reasonable price. Thanks in advance.

Tommygug
01-29-2010, 01:15 PM
There are several listings on ebay selling live daphnia. That is where I usually purchased mine. Look for one where the guy packs in 4 separate bags.

Swimming Jewel
01-29-2010, 01:33 PM
They naturally appear in my wine barrel and lotus bowl ponds every year, on their own. :cool3:
These container ponds are about 30" wide and the water is anywhere from 2" deep to 1/2" deep.
I use a fine net to scoop some out to feed my aquarium fish.
They also love any mosquito larva I can find.:D:

Tommygug
01-29-2010, 03:53 PM
You just reminded me, my neighbor gets them growing in old spackle buckets with leaves and sitting water...They don't ever start when you need them however!!! I leave a runt koi fry in my Lotus tubs to control the mosquito's. My neighbors blame me for every bug they see!!! This summer I am going to build a bat house, that should keep them talking
They naturally appear in my wine barrel and lotus bowl ponds every year, on their own. :cool3:
These container ponds are about 30" wide and the water is anywhere from 2" deep to 1/2" deep.
I use a fine net to scoop some out to feed my aquarium fish.
They also love any mosquito larva I can find.:D:

expat
01-29-2010, 06:00 PM
There are several listings on ebay selling live daphnia. That is where I usually purchased mine. Look for one where the guy packs in 4 separate bags.

Thanks. Did look quickly on ebay and came up with nothing, will try again.

Tommygug
01-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Here are a few listings I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIVE-DAPHNIA-MAGNA-water-flea-fish-fry-food-moina-pulex_W0QQitemZ280357747792QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item41469fbc50

http://cgi.ebay.com/Daphnia-starter-culture-betta-food-live-culture-fish_W0QQitemZ360206336633QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item53ddf88279

Just do a search for daphnia

expat
01-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Here are a few listings I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIVE-DAPHNIA-MAGNA-water-flea-fish-fry-food-moina-pulex_W0QQitemZ280357747792QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item41469fbc50

http://cgi.ebay.com/Daphnia-starter-culture-betta-food-live-culture-fish_W0QQitemZ360206336633QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item53ddf88279

Just do a search for daphnia

Found them thanks, now I just need some warm weather !

sundan
01-30-2010, 11:57 AM
How do the Japanese breeders do it and some of the farms here in USA? Chicken manure in mud ponds work well, roughly 50 lbs to 50,000 gallons of water. ten days before fry are place in pond add your chicken manure. Some have used cotton seed meal, others have use miracle grow fertliers. I assume for small containers would just need a handful of chicken manure, you only do this ONCE. Remember, water quality is your most important thing to keep the fry alive....

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/goldfish/breedingkoi.php

http://www.akca.org/library/spawn2.htm

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1397/Freshwater-Invertebrates/daphnia/0

Tommygug
01-30-2010, 03:57 PM
How do the Japanese breeders do it and some of the farms here in USA? Chicken manure in mud ponds work well, roughly 50 lbs to 50,000 gallons of water. ten days before fry are place in pond add your chicken manure. Some have used cotton seed meal, others have use miracle grow fertliers. I assume for small containers would just need a handful of chicken manure, you only do this ONCE. Remember, water quality is your most important thing to keep the fry alive....

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/goldfish/breedingkoi.php

http://www.akca.org/library/spawn2.htm

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1397/Freshwater-Invertebrates/daphnia/0
Do you know if you can use compost chicken manure? They aren't many chickens up here...

sundan
01-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Do you know if you can use compost chicken manure? They aren't many chickens up here...
not sure, can get 20 lb bags for $7 called black hen chicken manure from feed stores that has been process..

expat
02-01-2010, 09:13 AM
not sure, can get 20 lb bags for $7 called black hen chicken manure from feed stores that has been process..

The processed type may be better, I suppose its heated to kill of unwanted whatevers ?

sundan
02-01-2010, 09:17 AM
The processed type may be better, I suppose its heated to kill of unwanted whatevers ?

correct, thats why I say not to use compost chicken manure..

Tommygug
02-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I found a store that carries it up here. All I need is the ground to thaw and I will give it a try. I have been fairly successful growing daphnia but having a more cost effective hopefully reliable way to grow them could only be a plus!!! I have learned my "new thing" for the day.

Swimming Jewel
02-01-2010, 11:34 AM
If you ever come out this far I'll give you a few ziplock bags of my daphnia. :cool3:

Tommygug
02-01-2010, 01:04 PM
If you ever come out this far I'll give you a few ziplock bags of my daphnia. :cool3:

Thanks, I may take you up on that..
If I ever do come over, keep your eye on your Lotus seed pods!!!!

Tom

Swimming Jewel
02-03-2010, 12:14 AM
:D:
You'll have to go wine tasting too. :yes:

Koijazz
03-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Tommygug, I have a couple more questions.

Did you filter the water when the daphnia were with the fry? If you did, did you just cover the pump so the daphnia wouldn't get sucked in?

I started trying to get the daphnia to grow almost three weeks ago and nothing's happening. I have chickens so I tried the chicken manure for a while and it didn't work and last week I put in some oak leaves and still nothing. Does the water look right? I don't know if it's suppose to look so brown?

I'm stirring the water a couple times a day to circulate the water, do I need to do it more often maybe?

Thanks in advance.

Tommygug
03-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Your water looks ok. I found they grew better with green water versus brown water. What is the temperature of your water? If it is under 70 degree’s I would leave it out in the sun to warm up. I only used a small air pump to break the surface of the water when I first started the daphnia. I believe less is better. Once the fry hatched I moved the fry to a larger tank and still just used the air pump to break the surface. l did do daily 15 % water changes using “old water” from a 300 gal tub I had.
You may want to consider buying some daphnia online if you can’t get it started on your own. Good Luck. I have been searching for Chicken manure in the local store and can’t find any. I found some online but it will cost almost $50 to get it to my house….

Koijazz
03-26-2010, 10:50 AM
I think the chicken manure is what turned my water brown. I think I may have put too much in. I emptied the water so I could move the tub to a new location where I can hook up an airpump, and this time, I'm only doing oak leaves to see what happens. I'll look into buying daphnia on-line. Do you think the daphnia will be okay with the filter in my fry tank?

sundan
03-26-2010, 11:06 AM
I think the chicken manure is what turned my water brown. I think I may have put too much in. I emptied the water so I could move the tub to a new location where I can hook up an airpump, and this time, I'm only doing oak leaves to see what happens. I'll look into buying daphnia on-line. Do you think the daphnia will be okay with the filter in my fry tank?

within 10 days brown water will turn green if temps are 68-72 and have a small airstone pumping air in your small container. You may have added to much manure, just need a handful. Can get daphnia eggs for $20 at ...

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1397/Freshwater-Invertebrates/daphnia%20eggs/0

Daphnia is also known as “water bugs” or “water fleas” due to their jerky motion. They live in freshwater and are really easy to cultivate at home. Daphnia can be used regularly to provide your fish with more variation, or seasonally to induce breeding. It can also be used as fry food for bigger fish. Unlike uneaten dried or frozen food, Daphnia will not foul the water – they will stay alive in the aquarium until the fish decides to eat them. Cultivating Daphnia at home is economical and will provide you with a constant source of disease-free live food.

To start your own Daphnia culture you need to buy a starter culture from your local fish store. If your LFS do not have any Daphnia, contact your nearest aquarium club, somebody will probably be willing to sell or donate a started culture to you.

Place the container that you plan to use for cultivating Daphnia in a light spot, because Daphnia are more active when it is light. Artificial light works just as well as sun light, so you can for instance place them under a lamp in your basement. Add water to a container and pour in your Daphnia culture. Add a slow bubbling air stone to keep the water from becoming stagnant and oxygen depleted. Keep the water temperature around 72-75 degrees F.

Mixing one package of dry yeast with one cup of soy flour will provide you with a great source of food for your Daphnia. Stir 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of this mixture into a cup of warm water and pour it into your Daphnia container. This will cloud the water and there is no need to feed your Daphnia again until they have filtered out and consumed all the yeast-flour (i.e. when the water has become clear again). Avoid over-feeding, since this will cause the water to go foul and kill the Daphnia.

You should ideally avoid using a filter in your Daphnia container because a filter will catch a lot of tiny life forms that the Daphnia likes to feast on. Regular water changes are a better way of keeping the water quality up. You can combine water changes with harvesting by using a siphon to suck up a part of the water and filter it through a shrimp net. The removed water can then be replaced with new, fresh water and the shrimp net will be filled with Daphnia for your fish. You will also need to remove mulm from the bottom of the container every other week.

If you keep small fish and big fish in separate aquariums, you can use fish nets to size your Daphnia accordingly. This way, you will have big Daphnia for your big fishes, small Daphnia for small fishes and tiny Daphnia for fry aquariums.

Swimming Jewel
03-26-2010, 01:54 PM
My daphnia like standing water, absolutely NO filtration or running water, full sun.
If you have algae in your pond, scrape some off and plop it in your daphnia tank. Do this every day if possible.

It's not rocket science. ;)

Mine are back, all by themselves, like they come back every year thanks to Mother Nature.:bow:

Koijazz
03-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Does this look better?

Koijazz
03-28-2010, 07:41 PM
I bought my daphnia!:yahoo: All I have to do now is wait for them to come in the mail!:yes:

Tommygug
03-29-2010, 11:15 AM

THanks for the offer!!!

I had to laugh over the weekend. I have been searching the island for composted chicken manure, to no avail. This weekend I took my mom to see my dad(Calverton) and fiqured I would try a few places out east while out there. I went everywhere...I even found an Agway!!! I almost brought a few chicks there for my grandaughter(thank god I came to my senses in time). Thank god they didn't have ducklings!!! I didn't find any manure.
I came home, searched the web, and found a place that sells it less that a mile from my house!!! I tryed to swap them some small Koi for the manure but my guess is business is bad and the need the sale.
It was a great day, I got my Mom out of the house and I got to spend the day with her...

Koijazz
05-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Will putting antifungus stuff in the water with daphnia kill them? Once my koi have bred, I plan on putting the spawning media full of eggs in my daphnia "tank". Usually I put in IchAway to prevent fungus but am wondering if it will kill the daphnia in the process?

ormabe
05-13-2010, 06:10 PM
I got my daphnia from this place, good service!

http://www.aquaculturestore.com/fwinverts.html

You can email them asking which is good for you area. (Atlanta here). I ordered magna and pulex, one is more smallest than the other, good source of food for frys.

Green water is good to raise daphina and also you can mix yeast and feed them.In my case , specially the smallest daphnia reproduced quickly.

You can have more than one container to raise daphnia, not put all the eggs in one basket in case one fail.
orlando

Koijazz
05-13-2010, 11:25 PM
:bump: