PDA

View Full Version : need help koi just spawned (first time for me)

bullfrog
05-10-2010, 08:10 PM
I went out today and say little tiny tails and eye balls. I set up a 100 gal rubber maid tank and used a screen to scope up as many of the little guys as possible. What do I do now, food, air, filter, water changes. Im gonna start looking through other post but if anyone wants to throw out a suggestion I would appreciate it.:yahoo:

andres58
05-10-2010, 08:32 PM
not familiar with spawning....other than the accidental ones last year, which BTW produce three great chagoi/saragoi. I suggest you look at Steven's thread on breeding koi.............I do know lots of fresh water daily, place to hide and food.........

janine
05-10-2010, 08:45 PM
All of tose things! Brine shrimp, brine shrimp, brine shrimp....constantly having a batch going. Daily water changes, it will spike fast. I fed brine shrimp for about 2-3 weeks then, I did frozen cyclops, then I went to micro worms. They couldn't get enough and super easy to make. Do a google search for microworms, you need to buy your first batch I think 6.00 or so, then you coluture them. Oatmeal, water and a package of yeast. Thousands and thousands! They will start climbing up the sides, swish your finger around and then dip them in the tank:)

It is exciting, but to be honest, it is ALOT of work, I tested water and did partial changes every single day. Another spawn happened a week or so later...I think I got as many survivors out of that one......and I left them in the pond to fend for themselves:) Of course I AM by no means qualified to give real advise, just an amateur and this is what I did with my first spawn...with the help of the great peeps here. I'm sure others will pipe in:)

It is amazing to watch them grow! And turn colors! Enjoy your new babies gran-bullfrog!

Richard Holub
05-11-2010, 08:36 AM
I have a 10K gallon pond and my fish have been spawning every year for the past 5 years. I do absolutely nothing. Many of them survive by eating whatever is in the water/pond. The next season I have to decide how to get rid of them because they eat me out of koi food. Last Fall I ended up giving 49 koi approximately 6-8" long to a greenhouse. They also sell koi.

janine
05-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Yep, thats my dilema now, too many fish. Since I'm not breeding quality Koi, I don't even know how to pick out of the ones I should keep, basing it exclusively on sentiment! At this time I love my babies more than some of my bigger ones. I'm not sure which ones I'm willing to give away, then I'm worried if the new owner will take of them :( Oh the agony........

Rob Forbis
05-12-2010, 11:39 AM
For a few hundred fry a 40 gallon tank with a sponge filter will do until you are ready to down select at around one month. Feed them something like Baby Fish Food from Hikari at Petsmart (and/or if your pond has algae scrape over this or squeeze water from it and feed this to the fry). Do a 25% a day water change and use something like Amquel+ for dechlor and ammonia.

Culling koi is not that hard. Pick one type either white, or black or mottled fry of the same size. Which color you choose could be based upon which you suppose the parents to be (white for sanke, or black for showa for example). How many you keep depends upon how much pond space you can invest.

GloriaL
05-12-2010, 06:46 PM
When I kept eggs to raise from my first spawn, I didn't know any better and just powdered the koi food and fed it to them. They grew like weeds. Now I cheer the fish on encouraging them to eat all the eggs!

GloriaL
05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
This is what was in my 2 Cetus Sieves after my first spawn this year(even after fasting for two+ months this winter).I still have at least 6 very gravid females.
What I retrieved from the sieves nearly filled a gallon bucket- and that doesn't count what they ate and what was on the walls and in the skimmers!

ilovemesomekoi
05-27-2010, 10:36 PM
I think this has already been mentioned but your best option may have been to leave them in the pond, instead of transferring them to the Rubbermaid container.

Maintaining the perfect water quality for koi fry will be tough in a Rubbermaid container. They are very fragile at that young stage of life.

bullfrog
07-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Ok, time for some pics, let me know what you think of my babies. I have some that I couldnt catch in the main pond. These are pics of the ones I caught and move to my qt pond

Cindy_AL
07-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Yep, thats my dilema now, too many fish. Since I'm not breeding quality Koi, I don't even know how to pick out of the ones I should keep, basing it exclusively on sentiment! At this time I love my babies more than some of my bigger ones. I'm not sure which ones I'm willing to give away, then I'm worried if the new owner will take of them :( Oh the agony........

Just do what we did & build another pond. (or 2) :rolleyes:

Spawn@Dawn
07-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Nice follow up pics. Glad to see you have a healthy survial rate of fry to juveniles. Keep up the good posts!

bullfrog
07-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Im gonna bowl some of my favorites to see what the pros think

Frank Mc Donald
07-23-2010, 02:13 AM
how old were the fry in the pictures .
lots of color

bullfrog
07-27-2010, 11:27 PM
about 2 months old, I have some that are alot bigger in the main pond

Tommygug
07-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Your fry show some decent growth! I didn't see any GC's in the pictures...It makes you appreicate how difficult it is to produce a show quality koi...post your favorites, I would love to see them

bullfrog
07-28-2010, 10:53 PM
what is gc

vipldy
07-28-2010, 10:55 PM
what is gc

Grand Champion

bullfrog
07-30-2010, 06:02 PM
so is he saying my koi are low qaulity?

jonathan
07-30-2010, 06:47 PM
I dont see alot og good ones in this batch... you might get a nice benigoi tho... Pick out your faves and keep them. ;)