PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Japanese maple

GloriaL
05-08-2010, 05:50 PM
I unfortunately lost the tag for this maple and wondered if anyone knows what it is? The larger leaves are I think are a throwback b/c none of the other leaves are developing like that. I pinched that branch off!!

GloriaL
05-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Any Japanese maple folks around?

clm
05-09-2010, 01:02 AM
sorry, I have no idea what variety it is, but it sure is pretty. Check to see if the larger leaves are coming from a branch that's srpouted below the graft....if so, remove it as it's coming from the rootstock and not the grafted variety. I would remove it anyway.

clm

eshmikity
05-09-2010, 02:09 AM
Maybe dick benbow may know.

Goki56
05-09-2010, 04:23 AM
:yes: Love Japanese maple but I am sorry I have no idea what kind it is, I am sure Joyce [Swimming Jewel] could help you out on that.

krautz33
05-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Looks to me like you have beni komachi. Beni komachi has a real strong pinkish red spring color. The interesting looking leaves are what you want. Pinch off the leaves and branches off the palmatum leaves. Good Luck

Krautz

Swimming Jewel
05-09-2010, 09:41 AM
What Krautz said. :cool3:

The palmatum leaves are coming up from the root stock and the growth is called sucker growth.
The Beni komachi leaves are from the graft to the root stock.

If you don't trim off the palmatum leaves, they will take over and smother the Beni komachi graft.
That is why they are called suckers...because they will suck the life out of the grafted part.

ANYONE with a grafted Japanese Maple must do this and keep an eye out for root stock suckers. :yes:

krautz33
05-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Beni Komachi also reverts back. There is a tree in the trade called beni komachi sport. Which is just a reversion of the tree.

GloriaL
05-09-2010, 10:12 PM
That particular limb(gone) was branching out from the middle of the tree, so I don't think it was from the root stock. It seemed more like the reversion idea. I initially thought that all the leaves would grow that big and I had misunderstood what I had gotten. But I realized all those leaves were from one branch and none of the others were like that so off it came!. Thanks for the name!now I can look it up in my new maple book. Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there.