PDA

View Full Version : culling fish

bullfrog
05-05-2010, 12:45 PM
When culling fish what is the most humane way of putting the culls down?

Hirogoi
05-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Vodka and clove oil solution.

Spaun
05-06-2010, 07:31 AM
:( Shame some have to go but I guess its better than throwing them in alocal body of water.

bullfrog
05-06-2010, 09:06 AM
its a tough subject, but its a must when breeding, anymore suggestions?

gta333
05-06-2010, 06:56 PM
How old are the culls. Are these being culled because they are deformed or fin issues or is it a color or marking thing. You might find someone locally to take them off your hands if they are fish that are healthy but not show quality fish. I have not got my koi to spawn because they are young fish, but I also run a 150 tank tropical fish hatchery and I do cull my fish but I always have a outlet for my culls that are healthy but do not have the finnage or color or shape that the strains have. There are many humane ways of putting them down. but hopefully you can find someone to take them if they are healthy fish. Gary GOLDEN TREASURES AQUATICS DISCUS AND ANGELFISH IFGA SHOW GUPPIES AND MORE OMAHA NEBRASKA

bullfrog
05-07-2010, 11:58 AM
for those that are deformed, what are the many ways to put them down with out causing pain to the fish?

vipldy
05-07-2010, 12:16 PM
for those that are deformed, what are the many ways to put them down with out causing pain to the fish?

We used clove oil when culling..How big are these guys?

Paultergeist
05-07-2010, 05:03 PM
I may have to face this unpleasant reality as well......

I am hearing "clove oil" and also vodka. The vodka I can certainly acquire....but clove oil? Is this a poison -- it sounds more like a food seasoning?

Also, are the fish immersed in a solution of vodka and/or clover oil, or is the solution dropped on their gills, etc?

McKTX
05-07-2010, 05:15 PM
You can find clove oil/oil of clove at a health food store, a pharmacy type store. Some times at the pharmacy they might need to special order it. Most health food stores have it on the shelf.

you mix it in water, a sticky will have the rate, and just don't take them out. They go to sleep and wake up at the rainbow bridge.

koi4u2c
05-07-2010, 09:03 PM
My easiest cull was the time I caught all the culls and left them in a 5 gallon bucket and went up to the upper waterfall to work on something. While I was procrastinating doing what I knew I needed to do with them, my 3 Labradors came along and turned the bucket over. It was oh well, I knew there was no way I could get down there before they gobbled them all up. At least it was quick.

Spaun
05-08-2010, 12:37 PM
lol

BarbJ
05-08-2010, 03:10 PM
I've heard also that cats on koi farms are very well fed with lovely coats! ;)

I'm not too sure about clove oil, for culls or for anesthetizing adult koi either. Do we really know if they are numb or just paralyzed? I had to have clove oil used on an open tooth socket years ago, and it is truly nasty, nasty stuff! I really felt like I was being poisoned.

If you want to put them down, I'd use an overdose of MS-222 instead. It's said that it controls pain better anyway. I think it would be more humane.

Sorry to those who use clove oil, but I just won't ever use that stuff again. IMO.