PDA

View Full Version : Group spawn

hyacinth
05-02-2010, 01:55 AM
I have a fairly new pond but have a collection of about 10 larger koi (20-24", 2-3 yrs old). This morning, my son went out by the pond and told me that the fish were going crazy and I went outside and did indeed notice a lot of commotion. It as very apparent that a bunch of males were following and rubbing up against a large utsuri female. I also noticed that the water was greener than usual and contained a lot of dissolved organics, indicated by lots of bubbles on the surface. I tested and ammonia levels were higher than normal. I then did a 20% water change and as I was doing so, I saw a bunch of eggs stuck to various surfaces, from the pond walls to the skimmer. It was only then when I realized that they must've spawned.

I looked at a couple of books and now understand that it must have been a "mass spawn." I was totally unprepared for it so I was wondering if this happens all the time. What should I do now that the eggs and parents, along w/ all the other adults are all in the main pond and there's really no way for me to separate? Is it normal to have an ammonia and organics spike when this occurs? Any advice would be much appreciated. thks, alan

CHICHI
05-02-2010, 05:53 AM
I have a fairly new pond but have a collection of about 10 larger koi (20-24", 2-3 yrs old). This morning, my son went out by the pond and told me that the fish were going crazy and I went outside and did indeed notice a lot of commotion. It as very apparent that a bunch of males were following and rubbing up against a large utsuri female. I also noticed that the water was greener than usual and contained a lot of dissolved organics, indicated by lots of bubbles on the surface. I tested and ammonia levels were higher than normal. I then did a 20% water change and as I was doing so, I saw a bunch of eggs stuck to various surfaces, from the pond walls to the skimmer. It was only then when I realized that they must've spawned.

I looked at a couple of books and now understand that it must have been a "mass spawn." I was totally unprepared for it so I was wondering if this happens all the time. What should I do now that the eggs and parents, along w/ all the other adults are all in the main pond and there's really no way for me to separate? Is it normal to have an ammonia and organics spike when this occurs? Any advice would be much appreciated. thks, alan

:yes:

Once Temps are conducive to Spawning (20C - ish usually) Fish WILL Spawn come-what-may :D:

Stop Feeding and remove as much of the Spawn Manually as is possible :yes:

Adding Spawning Ropes/Brushes during Breeding Season provides a means of removing the excess in order to prevent Spikes Galore :yes:

koi4u2c
05-02-2010, 11:19 PM
It may be hard to get a handle on the ammonia spike by just water changes. Also you may get a nitrite spike as well. You will need to monitor fish, ammonia, and nitrite closely for several days to a week.

The first time I had a mass spawn I tried to control it with water changes for days.

When I had a mass spawn in my largest pond I made a water change and used an ammonia binder. And the last time I used Prime. It is supposed to take care of ammonia and nitrite.

With the last spawn, my fish were in distress in just a couple of hours from the ammonia. When I added the ammonia binder the felt better almost immediately. By distressed, I mean at waterfalls gasping for air and after adding binder they stopped gasping and started swimming normally.

Whether or not you need and ammonia binder will depend on the size and number of fish that spawned. My pond was large and the water could not run in fast enough to dilute the ammonia to get them out of distress without a binder. Which reminds me, I need to get some more Prime now just in case. In an emergency no one locallly has enough ammonia binder for my pond.

hyacinth
05-03-2010, 10:43 AM
I've been trying to perform 10-15% water changes everyday. Is Chloram-X similar to Prime as an ammonia binder?

Gene
05-03-2010, 11:47 AM
I've been trying to perform 10-15% water changes everyday. Is Chloram-X similar to Prime as an ammonia binder?

Yes, ClorAm-X works well in your situation.