PDA

View Full Version : northeast breeding -

tdr1919
04-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi,
I am here in NY, my water temp is in the mid 60's when do you think my KOI will spawn? last year they spawned and I didnt even know it until late summer when I saw small fish darting around the pond! my pond is 18 ft by 14 ft, and it is hard to see what they are doing, do they spawn early in the morning? is it only for 1 day? can I remove the eggs from my main pond and place them in a aquarium (with pond water).
Thank you,
Tom

Tommygug
04-12-2010, 01:09 PM
I live in West Islip, not to far from you....The book says they spawn when the water temps hit 70 degree's. Mine have spawned on 5/16, 6/7 and on 6/17. The water was never 70!!!
What you should look out for are males (usually skinner, torpedo shaped) chasing after females (larger, wider, bulging abdomens). After they have spawned the water will have a fishy odor and will have lots of foam. They usually spawn at night, 2ish I have been told….
As for moving the eggs into a fish tank, I would not recommend it….A pair of koi can lay several hundred thousand eggs, way too many for a fish tank. You could keep a hundred or so in a fish tank, if you could keep up the water quality with lots of water changes…

tdr1919
04-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Hey Tommy,
Were you selling your koi on ebay last year? Back to breeding, Last year I ran a low volume pump which did not create excessive currents, and I believe that permitted the eggs to attach to the plants in the pond. I also believe the after the spawn hathed the fry were not sucked up in the pump and killed. This season I am using my higher volume pump in my bio-filter and I think this will kill all the fry (if any of the eggs survive). This is why I wanted
to try and recover some of the eggs and hatch them in an aquarium.
Thanks,
Tom

Tommygug
04-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Yes, that was my fish on ebay.
The fish tank will work, just try to limit the amount you try to raise. I think less will be better. It will be easier to maintain water quaility and still have enough room for the fry to grow normally. Too many fish, in too small a space, will stunt the koi's growth.

koi4all
04-17-2010, 03:57 PM
I would would look for activity during a full moon when the water begins pushing 68 degrees.