PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to breed my Kohakus....

poisonxvenom
04-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Hi, I have a mature 5 yr old Kohaku female and two 3 year old males similar in size.... However, I am new to this hobby and would like to breed them this spring... I live in Atlanta GA, and from what I hear I have about 2 weeks or so until spawning triggers under GA conditions.

I bought an intex metal framed pool 10 ft width and 2ft deep.. From what I've heard it's fish-safe. I am planning on putting my female kohaku in the intex pool along with the males.....

I'm planning on making spawning rope out of some material in addition to the few brushes i purchased...

The intex pool will be circulated with the water from my main pond (~3,000 gallons).

Am I missing anything? Leave any tips/comments~~

Thank You.

skubasteve
04-05-2010, 11:58 PM
keep the water between 70-78 degrees

prepare food

don't forget the barry manilow ;)

Tommygug
04-06-2010, 12:16 AM
I would run the two ponds separately. Fill the intex with water from your pond and get some roitlers and Daphna growing in their for the fry once they hatch. Put your spawning materials in your main pond, let the fish spawn. After the spawn move the eggs to your intex and then do a major water change in your main pond and wait for your fry to hatch. I made it sound easy but i would also read some of the other threads to get a wider picture of what need s to be done!

EL3CTROBOI
04-06-2010, 04:18 AM
Usually koi like breeding from night time to about 7am or so. A water change will induce breeding at temperatures around 70 degrees. Like Tommygug said, prepare some rotifers and daphnia prior to hatching. The fry will hatch somewhere between 3 days to a week depending on temperature. Breeding and hatching is the easy part, taking care of the fry is another story. It is fun! Goodluck

poisonxvenom
04-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Where can I buy rotifers? Do I have to buy them online? I can hatch brine shrimp or order live daphnia..... would it be fine with those foods?

Tommygug
04-10-2010, 10:02 PM
sorry, I was traveling for a few days. I usually get mine from ebay. They are naturally methods to produce them but so far it has not worked for me...