PDA

View Full Version : 2010 March, Koi spawnning

AquaJewel
03-31-2010, 11:55 PM
Setup

Filled in water in a 500 gallon round blue plastic swimming pool (purchased from Tractor Supply Store) and aged water for a couple of days.
Using 500 gph pump pumps water into the 50 g barrel. Barrel has two inch pvc outlets to drop the water from 1 foot above the water level in the swimming pool, so that water dropping back into the swimming pool.
Air with Two air stone (small pump from Walmart)
Pull some tall grass with roots, hosed clean the dirt off the root, wrapped around the brick and tied with rubber band. I made three of them and placed them in the swimming pool.
March 30, 2010 evening, select some female and male into the swimming pool.
At night at 9:30 p.m. Males started to chase females, swimming around the grass.
March 31, 2010 early morning, they are laying eggs.
Since I have multiple females, I let them be there till 5:00 p.m., then take the fish out from the spawning area and put them back into the pond.
Lots of eggs everywhere.

EricT
04-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Nice, but i would have used something besides tall grass. I would think they could get cut, just like us.

Looks like you are going to get a lot of babies. Keep us posted.
-Eric

CHICHI
04-01-2010, 08:19 AM
So Pleased Mine have NEVER Spawned :eek1:

WOW :yes: Some Action in those pics :eek1: any injuries of note ?

curlann
04-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks forsharing.....keep us posted :)

Koijazz
04-01-2010, 10:33 AM
How exciting! I hope you get some nice fry out of this batch.

Tommygug
04-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Good Luck....I almost feel sorry for the females...

I am a little concerned on the your spawning media. I don't know what effect if any, it may have on your water quality. If it starts to degrade before your eggs hatch. I would remove it as soon as you can.

AquaJewel
04-01-2010, 12:48 PM
When I took the fish out of the spawning pool, I checked, and did not see any damage on the fish. The females look a lot thinner as they released the eggs.
Those grasses do not have sharp edges. They came out of my flower beds and next to the vegetable plants where I put lots of rabbit droppings. The grasses are a lot softer than the spawning media (plastic plants where I got from Garden Ridge) I used before.
With the temperature in the 70s (in Houston, TX), I think that the eggs will hatch in two to three days. So after the fourth day, I will remove the grasses. Thanks, Tommygug for the advice. Since I have two air stones and the 500 gph pump re-cycling the water, the water looks a little clearer than yesterday. I will have to stop the pump when I see black spots (eyes) on the eggs, probably tomorrow evening.
I have plenty of daphnia for them in my biological filter chambers from my Koi pond. So I just have to scope them at night when they come up to the surface and cling on the walls. Last night I checked and the walls and the surface closed by the walls were black as there are so many of them. I scooped up with a small bowl and checked there were so many water bugs (daphnia), swimming and kicking. The water in the bowl almost looks like coffee grinds in the water. I also have about 2 pounds of Decapsulated (shell removed) Brine Shrimp Eggs to supplement.
I fed my Koi in the pond this morning, and they all came up and ate all the food I put in the pond. I visually checked and they all look good.
Thank you all for the comments and I will update after the eggs hatch.

Koijazz
04-01-2010, 07:03 PM
I will update after the eggs hatch.

Can't wait!

AquaJewel
04-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Can't wait!

Hi Koijazz,

The pump is still running. The smell from the spawning is almost gone. I picked up some eggs that are not stuck to the surface and found some of them have two black spots, some are still clear. I think that it is rather quicker than I expected, maybe because it was in full sun.

I will add two more airstones tomorrow and stop the pump.

Tommygug
04-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Good luck, I have had some eggs hatch in less than three days....
I have not seen any mention of water changes. The spawning process adds alot of protein to the water along with the unfertilized eggs... I usually do a slow(trickle) water change to help the water quality.

AquaJewel
04-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Good luck, I have had some eggs hatch in less than three days....
I have not seen any mention of water changes. The spawning process adds alot of protein to the water along with the unfertilized eggs... I usually do a slow(trickle) water change to help the water quality.

Thanks you, Tommygug for the advice. I did not do the water change, but I have the 500 gph pump circulating the water though the 50 g barrel. I put a few sacks of lava rocks from my biological filter chamber of my Koi pond into the 50 g barrel. I also have some air stones in. I think that water quality is quite good for now. I am aging some tap water in another barrel, so that I do not have to use the chemicals to remove chlorine in the water. After a week, I will add the clean aged water into the pool as I will not have the pump running to circulate the water to avoid the small fishes get stuck into the pump.
The black spot on the eggs are getting darker and some eggs have sprouts, maybe the tail. But none of them are moving yet. Probably, some will be wiggling tomorrow.
The following pictures are the water returning from the 50g barrel.

ZUROBI3
04-04-2010, 08:18 AM
I have a question cause I'm new in this, yesterday few males I assume start chasing and bumping one of my koi, a friend of mine told me that's the sign, we took her out and put her in the quarantine tank with three males, this morning the water have some foam or bubbles but not that many, thing is we don't have a plant to put in the tank, my husband lay a flat piece of filter, since we're new we don't know and I asking for help or tips, they still chasing and bumping her this mroning so I guess she didn't lay the eggs yet and I don't know how they would look of if I'm able to see something to recognize, now if we don't have a plant what else we could use for laying the eggs

AquaJewel
04-04-2010, 11:12 AM
I have a question cause I'm new in this, yesterday few males I assume start chasing and bumping one of my koi, a friend of mine told me that's the sign, we took her out and put her in the quarantine tank with three males, this morning the water have some foam or bubbles but not that many, thing is we don't have a plant to put in the tank, my husband lay a flat piece of filter, since we're new we don't know and I asking for help or tips, they still chasing and bumping her this mroning so I guess she didn't lay the eggs yet and I don't know how they would look of if I'm able to see something to recognize, now if we don't have a plant what else we could use for laying the eggs

Hi ZULMA,
I think your friend is correct. I assume that you have some kind of aeration or water circulation in the quarantine tank. If not, I would put some aeration and/or water circulation in the quarantine tank where you put the female and the three males. You might notice some smell from the water from the quarantine tank. If the female released the eggs, then you will see them on the side walls or on a flat piece of filter your husband put in.
You can use a lot of things for them to use as the spawning material.
You can buy a mop head from a dollar store, and make sure there is no sharp edges that can damage the fish, then sock in the water to wash (without soap). That can be used as a spawning mop.
The female will look a lot skinner after she releases eggs for a few hours.
Good luck!

AquaJewel
04-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Sunday - The fry started to appear, :yahoo: but they could not swim straight yet. I added plenty of water bugs (daphnia) into the fry tank. The grasses were removed.
Monday Fed hardboiled egg yolk three times. More fry are visible. I added more air stones. They seem to swim a bit stronger in the evening. :cool: There are a couple of fry pictures. The black spots you see in the pictures are daphnia.

Koijazz
04-06-2010, 02:50 PM
They're so cute! How big are they? I bet they've already doubled in size.

EricT
04-06-2010, 03:00 PM
:clap: updated pictures. :D:

AquaJewel
04-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Last week, the temperature dropped to 40 at night and went up to 80 during the day time for a couple of days and I lost almost the whole batch of my Koi fry. :no: I have a few left that I placed in the small tank inside. The followings are a few of those left.

Koijazz
04-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Bummer. Don't you hate it when that happens? The positive side is that it's a lot easier to raise a small batch of fry than a large one. :yes:

AquaJewel
04-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Bummer. Don't you hate it when that happens? The positive side is that it's a lot easier to raise a small batch of fry than a large one. :yes:

Yes. From the positive side, a few survived will have plenty of food and will grow faster.

Tommygug
04-16-2010, 05:27 PM
They look like they are growing nicely, it's a shame you had the temperature issues....They grow very quick with daphnia....I believe it's mostly protein!!

AquaJewel
04-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Pictures of a few survived. I kept them in a small 10 g tank. They got daphnia and small red worms I found in my biological filter. After taking the picture, I released them into a 100 g tank where I have plenty of 4 weeks old goldfish fry with lots of daphnia, small red worms and some parrot feather.

AquaJewel
05-09-2010, 10:30 PM
There are only three left from the End of March Spawn. Here are a couple of their pictures. I wonder how they will trun out.