PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

dweav44
03-31-2010, 08:53 PM
I have a customer, with a koi pond, that would like to try a spawn.:rolleyes:
They have purchased artificial water plants to stick in the water and I am left to figure out the rest.:confused:

2 questions:
At what water temp.(if that is what you go by) do i need to stick the plants in the water?

How far down? (near surface or bottom)

Thank you!:bow:

Daniel

cindy
03-31-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm guessing, floating like hyacinth.

dweav44
03-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Thank you Cindy!

Any time better than the next? We are dealing with string algea right now and don't want the plants to clog with it if left in for a long time.

Daniel

Tommygug
03-31-2010, 10:19 PM
I have had several mass spawns and all three were at different temperatures. The book says they will spawn when the pond hits 65 degrees. I have had it happen at 56, 60 and once at 64 degrees. They will usually do it in the evening 2-4 ish.
The only thing consistent with each spawn were the males chasing the females so you always knew roughly when it would happen.
The plants should be on or near the surface of the pond.
You will need to either move the spawning fish or move the eggs or the koi will eat them.
The next morning you will need to do a major water change, look over the females for injuries sustained during mating.
Before all this you also need to figure out how you are going to feed the fry.
My advice read all you can on the subject, check out some of the older threads posted here.
Good Luck