PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish Necropsi warning

gjs63
12-18-2009, 10:41 AM
My Ranchu died and I want to find out why. This fish seemed fine untill one morning it didn't eat ,,,2 days later it seemed better,,,, It stoped eating again and died quikly. The day it died it had bloody , stringy feces. Can anyone tell anything from my pic.

Noahsnana
12-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Nice job with the pics

gjs63
12-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Nice job with the pics

Thank you, I'm wondering if the bloody spots are a rupture as I was very careful not to tare any of the tissue while openning the gut. Joyce

CHICHI
12-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi ..

I`ve never seen Intestines that Pale and Occupying so much space in any of my Goldfish Autopsies .. :eek1:

I always scope Gills Filaments and Internal Organ biopsies Post mortem ..

This is the only effective way of unearthing Pathogenic causes ie Protozoa Metazoa etc ..

http://thegab.org/Goldfish/goldfish-internal-anatomy.html

BruceP
12-18-2009, 03:25 PM
If your certain you didnt do the damage visible on the left side then I'd say that looks to be ruptured. From what I don't know. Nice job tho... sorry you lost it.

cindy
12-18-2009, 04:11 PM
any swelling or soft stomach before you cut/

gjs63
12-18-2009, 04:22 PM
any swelling or soft stomach before you cut/

No swelling where you would see lifted scales. It had a fat belly I though was normal. I am begining to wonder if it did have some. Do you know if the intestines are looking normal, all stuck together? Thanks, Joyce

Ichthius
12-18-2009, 04:24 PM
It looks like a chronic bacterial infection, possibly mycobacteria.

Did you find any white nodules in any of the tissue?

If you look throughout the organs there are very faint but discernable spots of blood which are likely sites of infection. Once an site gets so infected the tissue starts to deteriorate leading to organ failure.

Pathologists generally say "All goldfish have mycobacteria until proven otherwise" by autopsy...

It is an environmental opportunistic pathogen and there is really no way to treat it. You can only give your fish a fighting chance by providing ideal growing conditions, do not overfeed or over grow your fish (big fish are dead fish).

Over feeding fish can cause food to back up into the pneumatic duct  that connects the gas bladders to the stomach. Imacting this duct can lead to boyance issues and if myco or other bacteria get going death.

gjs63
12-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Thank you for your opinion,,,,, I did not see any white spots but did notice the bloody pstches.. the day it died it had some feces that looked pink and stringy. I have not pulled apart the organs to look better...I did not want to make a mess of them. Joyce