PDA

View Full Version : grow out pool

rickb
02-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Hi, I would like to use an above ground pool to grow out my fry. I've looked into intex pools, they are very reasonable priced but will they hold up for more than one season ? Are they safe for fry being vinyl ? Keeping them in shade will keep them from getting too warm but can they stay up in freezing weather? I would appreciate any comments from anyone who has used them thanks Rick

Noahsnana
02-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Good questions Rick many do use Intex pools but I don't know about standing up to our temps this season

GloriaL
02-20-2010, 10:03 AM
I have had my Intex pool up for three and a half years and it is still holding. The plastic hoses that go to the intex pump have developed leaks( I was only using them to siphon the water into my garbage can where I have my submersible pump), but that is not really an issue as it comes with plugs for those holes. I am using a Savio Living Falls filter( left over from my first pond) and have developed a bit of rust on those pipes. I have ordered some replacement pipes which I will change out when I move the two fish in it back to the big pond. I have been quite happy with mine. It is outside under my deck, but does get some afternoon sun. We have freezing weather every winter and lots of it this year! It has withstood the elements very well. I will post some pics when I get home. I have the 10' diameter round one with the metal pipe supports not the blow up ring( I would fall into that in a heart beat !!)

rickb
02-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Hi, thanks soo much for the info. I was going for the blow up ring pool as the price is quite less. I'm glad to hear it will take the freezing temps and not just crack. Have you tried putting koi fry in yours ? I guess i could drain it in really bad weather . but i'd rather be able to keep them in it until next spring. Rick

kytalker
02-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi, thanks soo much for the info. I was going for the blow up ring pool as the price is quite less. I'm glad to hear it will take the freezing temps and not just crack. Have you tried putting koi fry in yours ? I guess i could drain it in really bad weather . but i'd rather be able to keep them in it until next spring. Rick

The only thing about the blow up ring pools are dureing the winter the ring will loose air.. You will have to get it pumped up.. Other then that you should be fine...

rickb
02-26-2010, 09:18 AM
thanks for the info. i thought that might happen too. i just dont want it to get too cold and just crack .Based on the price its worth a try.

Tommygug
02-26-2010, 02:29 PM
I have used the intex with the ring for two years...Last year, it was a mild winter it was fine. This year it blew out, The drain plug burst and drained the pond, most of the fish froze. This winter has been severe. If your area freezes alot, I would be wary of using it.

kytalker
02-26-2010, 04:22 PM
I have one of the blow up ring pools that has been sitting in the same place for 3 years... It has lilies and gold fish in it... No problem at all other then haveing to put air in the inflatable ring twice over the winter.... We had some really cold days here, about 2 weeks that never got out of the teens and the nights we in neg digits..

GloriaL
02-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Mine is the frame set Intex. I would fall in one of the blow up ring kind and the fish would all float away. How the fry would do depends on your filtration and whether they would have any protection from being sucked into the filtration.

cootkoi
02-27-2010, 07:20 PM
there is a little difference in winter in Kentucky to new york ... i think no yea mybe ?? my 24 inch deep water trough froze to the bottom with a heater in it......

kytalker
02-27-2010, 11:28 PM
there is a little difference in winter in Kentucky to new york ... i think no yea mybe ?? my 24 inch deep water trough froze to the bottom with a heater in it......

HMMM.. The poster from VA. and not NY.

expat
02-28-2010, 02:25 PM
I have one of the blow up ring pools that has been sitting in the same place for 3 years... It has lilies and gold fish in it... No problem at all other then haveing to put air in the inflatable ring twice over the winter.... We had some really cold days here, about 2 weeks that never got out of the teens and the nights we in neg digits..

Thats good to know, we have a couple of blow ups and emptyed and put away for winter. Will try and use them all year when needed.

Tommygug
02-28-2010, 06:49 PM
I read I believe on this forum, that you can fill the ring will foam in a can insulation. You just fill in little by little by poking a little hole and then inserting the red tube that goes with the can.

kytalker
02-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Yea I have heard of that also, but have been afraid to try it...

kytalker
02-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Thats good to know, we have a couple of blow ups and emptyed and put away for winter. Will try and use them all year when needed.

Be very carful with them.. Once they have been drained and put away the bottoms tebd to crack where the folds are..

rickb
03-02-2010, 10:27 AM
thanks for all the info. sounds like they do work most of the time. Sorry about your loss new yuck. This hobby like soo many hobbies has its ups and downs. We did have a horrible winter, hopefully wont have it again for awhile.