PDA

View Full Version : Tobies

orko
02-15-2010, 05:28 PM
When a Toby (I hope the spelling is correct:confused:)is considered as such? When they are 2 times larger than the average of the others or more than that?

I have around 90 2 weeks old, some of them of course are bigger than the others but nothing extreme...

Thanks

cootkoi
02-15-2010, 06:33 PM
when they learn to eat there bothers and sisters for a few week the u will have the bad toby.. not sure how to spell it ..

Hirogoi
02-16-2010, 12:19 AM
If they're significantly larger remove them.

Tommygug
02-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Keep your eye out for dwindling amount of fry. Thatís the surest way to see if you have a toby. They are very aggressive and will eat all of your fry if left unchecked. I would usually look for them whenever I feed my fry. They are also not the nicest fry but they seem to eat the nicer ones!!!

Rudy
02-16-2010, 10:40 AM
If you really think you know the tobi (s) in your bunch remove it.
They are a necessary evil in nature. One or more will grow faster and larger than his brothers and sisters to ensure that at least some have a chance of not being eaten by some of their predators making sure there will be some to carry on.
It does not mean that they will continue to grow and be monster koi. :no:
Keep an eye on them because I believe I read that Mother nature installed some type of fail safe. When the tobi(s) are all removed anther koi will develop the need to eat siblings and grow. :eek1:

Rudy
02-20-2010, 10:45 PM
OK !!!! That's it. I'm right or wrong but no one to say which? :harhar:
Talk to use Tobi hunters. :D: ... for others info in the future.