PDA

View Full Version : Spawning Material

Keith N
02-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Hellow all - Last year my koi spawned naturally - about 20 babies survived and grew in the settlement chamber. They amazingly swam upstream back into the main pond. They were born in July and are now about 6-9 inches.

This yr I want to harvest more of the babies, but didn't want to spend lots of money on spawning ropes. What else have you used as spawning material to collect the eggs?

Thanks,
Keith

Tommygug
02-03-2010, 04:16 PM
I heard a couple of old fashioned mop heads attacked to a broom handle works also the japanese use juniper branches....

Keith N
02-03-2010, 05:03 PM
hmmm.. mop heads - that's interesting. Might have to try that.

Not sure about the sap from juniper branches - can't be good for water, and the hard branches - can;t be good around koi that are thrashing about.

Koijazz
02-03-2010, 05:54 PM
For the past two years, I have just used grocery bags cut into strips that are tied together to look like a mop head. Just make sure you boil them in water first to sanitize them.

Doug C.
02-03-2010, 06:29 PM
i use water lettuce, hyacinh, and waterlily, all natural plants, it works great. I prefer mostly water lettuce since cleaner doesnt cloud water. The water plant spread so much i had to throw away some

Doug C.
02-03-2010, 06:42 PM
hyacinh has more roots for eggs to latch on but can dirty the water. Last year when i introduce the pair in the breeding tank with the plants, the next morning breeding started. This year, i'm excited about breeding two sets, Showas and Shiro Utsuri.

expat
02-03-2010, 07:17 PM
I use green christmas garland and that works fine.

cootkoi
02-04-2010, 12:19 AM
WARNING water hyacinth WHAT I USE BUT HIDING IN ROOTS ARE DRAGONFLY MONSTERS!!!!!!!! I LEARNED THE HARD WAY BUT WORKED THE BEST FOR GETTING EGGS . NO SHARP TWIGS TO CUT UP FEMALE ..

Frank Mc Donald
02-04-2010, 02:34 AM
I used broths off my fir tree last year fish spawned soon as i put them in,but you need to remove them soon as the babys hatch or the needles will start falling off.

stevek
02-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Unraveled poly rope will create lots of strands . Around here, it is very easy to find lots of old lobster trap rope washed up on the beach. Takes awhile to unravel the strands, but the price is right. I was shocked at what the commercial spawning brushes cost....

Keith N
02-05-2010, 02:25 PM
WOw - Christmas garland strands - what a great idea :bow::bow::bow:!!! I'll have to pick me up some at the "after christmas sale". next yr. :punk1:

Thanks for sharing your great ideas everybody!:cool:

Anymore??

skubasteve
02-06-2010, 09:44 PM
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/Leong_Spawning_Mop.html

read this

Lari
02-06-2010, 10:54 PM
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/Leong_Spawning_Mop.html

read this

That's what we use for spawning goldies. I'm not so sure it would be the best for koi...Sure would take a LOT of yarn.

I like the Christmas garland idea. Good Thinking!!

afertuna
02-09-2010, 01:37 AM
I use hyacinths,water lettuce, fir branches and dollar store mop heads I unscrew the heads I create a loop and hand them onto pipes across the pnds. I like them since they are from the dollar store they are disposable if i need them to be.