PDA

View Full Version : Breeding process

Bido
12-22-2009, 06:33 PM
I am a koi lover but don't know anything about breeding. I read pond construction every day and a liitle bit on koi breeding. However I still don't have any clue how to start on koi koi breeding. i would like to learn. Any advise, idea are greatly appreciated. Here are my questions:
1) How to know male & female kois? how many male & female for breeding?
2) When is the best time for breeding?
3) Facility for koi breeding (I mean do I need a special tool, pond or any new room for breeding)
4) How to know when having fry?
5) How to feed fry? what kind of food?
6) When having fry do I have to take out the parent (male or female)?
Here is the link to my pond
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100314&highlight=bido
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Koijazz
12-22-2009, 07:21 PM
My website has some info on breeding koi. Here is a link to the exact page.
http://koijazz.webs.com/BKoi.html

I failed to put in telling the difference between a male and female however.:rolleyes: The male is streamline and torpedo shape, and the female has a thicker body, especially as the koi breeding season comes near. The female's pectoral fins are larger and rounder while the male's are pointier. The first picture is my female. The second picture has a couple males and the female together so you can see the difference.

Tommygug
12-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Wow, thatís a lot of questions!!! I was asking all of those same questions a few years agoÖ.some of them I am still searching for the answers to! I think the best answer is to start reading the threads in this section. There is a huge amount of information here. There is a huge amount to learn and most of all digest!!! Good Luck

EricT
12-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I am a koi lover but don't know anything about breeding. I read pond construction every day and a liitle bit on koi breeding. However I still don't have any clue how to start on koi koi breeding. i would like to learn. Any advise, idea are greatly appreciated. Here are my questions:
1) How to know male & female kois? how many male & female for breeding?
Female's will buldge, and males are long a skinny. 1female and two males.
2) When is the best time for breeding?
Spring
3) Facility for koi breeding (I mean do I need a special tool, pond or any new room for breeding)No. just some plants to spawn on.
4) How to know when having fry?
When you see them. other than that, you don't.
5) How to feed fry? what kind of food?
dalphia
6) When having fry do I have to take out the parent (male or female)?Its better to put the parents in a separate tank, breed them, then move them back.
Here is the link to my pond
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100314&highlight=bido
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Bido
12-23-2009, 01:15 PM
I appreciate all of you for the koi breeding information. I will read more & prepare for next spring & try . Happy Xmas & new year

EricT
12-28-2009, 01:15 AM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/breeding/koi.php

found this. it might help

ColumbiaWaterGardens.com
12-28-2009, 01:05 PM
My website has some info on breeding koi. Here is a link to the exact page.
http://koijazz.webs.com/BKoi.html

I failed to put in telling the difference between a male and female however.:rolleyes: The male is streamline and torpedo shape, and the female has a thicker body, especially as the koi breeding season comes near. The female's pectoral fins are larger and rounder while the male's are pointier. The first picture is my female. The second picture has a couple males and the female together so you can see the difference.

I read through your breeding page on your site and actually COMPREHENDED it! Great job, and thanks for sharing!!!

EricT
12-28-2009, 01:32 PM
I read through your breeding page on your site and actually COMPREHENDED it! Great job, and thanks for sharing!!!

ha, do i need to make a breeding for dummies book?
:harhar::harhar::harhar:

Koijazz
12-28-2009, 01:43 PM

I'm glad to hear it's understandable. :yes: I'll have to update it and put in differences between the male and female.

EricT
12-28-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm glad to hear it's understandable. :yes: I'll have to update it and put in differences between the male and female.

also, on your website, you said 'breed with the same breed'

i have to disagree on some part of that.

some breeds you can do that, others you want to mix.

ex:
kohaku x kohaku will get you tancho's and kohaku.
showa x showa will get you showa and sanke.
BUT
how do you get goromo?
by crossing an asagi and a kohaku.

how do you get a tancho showa?
by crossing a tancho and a shiro utsuri

It depends on what your really breeding, but i just wanted to point that out.

great job on the site too. very understandable.

ColumbiaWaterGardens.com
12-28-2009, 02:14 PM
ha, do i need to make a breeding for dummies book?
:harhar::harhar::harhar:

:yes:

Eric, That'd be great for anyone!!! We've talked about this before, I'm mechanically minded and haven't bred koi on purpose yet. I'm going to have to experiment with this one in the spring.

EricT
12-28-2009, 02:38 PM
:yes:

Eric, That'd be great for anyone!!! We've talked about this before, I'm mechanically minded and haven't bred koi on purpose yet. I'm going to have to experiment with this one in the spring.

where are you getting your parent koi?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

mshill90
12-28-2009, 07:35 PM
also, on your website, you said 'breed with the same breed'

i have to disagree on some part of that.

some breeds you can do that, others you want to mix.

ex:
kohaku x kohaku will get you tancho's and kohaku.
showa x showa will get you showa and sanke.
BUT
how do you get goromo?
by crossing an asagi and a kohaku.

how do you get a tancho showa?
by crossing a tancho and a shiro utsuri

It depends on what your really breeding, but i just wanted to point that out.

great job on the site too. very understandable.

How do you get Goshiki?

EricT
12-29-2009, 03:23 PM
How do you get Goshiki?

I'm not sure on that one. I would guess a kohaku with a platinum matsuba. that is just a guess though. I am still researching, because eventually, i would like to start a KY Koi line.

mshill90
12-29-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm not sure on that one. I would guess a kohaku with a platinum matsuba. that is just a guess though. I am still researching, because eventually, i would like to start a KY Koi line.

Or possibly a Gin matsuba. I would guess any matsuba maybe. Might make some interesting Goshiki's.

I would keep that Kohaku you got. Seems like a nice parent koi.

Luck
12-29-2009, 09:45 PM
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1753454&postcount=2:cool3:

Marilyn
12-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Here's a good article about sexing koi:

http://www.yumekoi.com/images/stories/pdfs/Male-or-Female.pdf

KentuckyKoi
12-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Here's a good article about sexing koi:

http://www.yumekoi.com/images/stories/pdfs/Male-or-Female.pdf
:yes::yes:

basic techniques we use. body confirmation, fin shape, and when in doubt, flip 'em over.

Marilyn
12-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Flip 'em, feel the gillplates and leading rays at the fin joint... anything that helps make the call.
Of course there is always the milting option but I don't quite feel confident with my skills there. Not yet, lol.

EricT
12-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Flip 'em, feel the gillplates and leading rays at the fin joint... anything that helps make the call.
Of course there is always the milting option but I don't quite feel confident with my skills there. Not yet, lol.

i don't rely on the gill plates much. Its real hard to tell, unless its spring (mating season) then thats when the males really begin to feel 'rough'

Also another one is looking at the pec fins. when brought out of the water, the males appear to be rough, as the females appear to be silky smooth.

-Eric

mshill90
12-30-2009, 07:52 PM
i don't rely on the gill plates much. Its real hard to tell, unless its spring (mating season) then thats when the males really begin to feel 'rough'

Also another one is looking at the pec fins. when brought out of the water, the males appear to be rough, as the females appear to be silky smooth.

-Eric

I've been told the rough vs smooth can be debated.

EricT
12-30-2009, 07:55 PM
I've been told the rough vs smooth can be debated.

Right, that is why you use all the techniques you can to figure it out, not just one.

mshill90
12-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Right, that is why you use all the techniques you can to figure it out, not just one.

Then why do you not check the gill plates too?

Wouldn't you want to check EVERY aspect possible?

EricT
12-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Then why do you not check the gill plates too?

Wouldn't you want to check EVERY aspect possible?

That is what i was trying to say in the post above yours.

mshill90
12-30-2009, 08:00 PM
That is what i was trying to say in the post above yours.

Ah, got cha.

I had to re-read something. I don't have my glasses on.

"It's too hard to tell sometimes." Now I get it. :yes:

EricT
12-30-2009, 08:03 PM
ah, got cha.

I had to re-read something. I don't have my glasses on.

"it's too hard to tell sometimes." now i get it. :yes:

:d:

mshill90
12-30-2009, 08:03 PM
:d:

:harhar:

EricT
12-30-2009, 08:04 PM
:harhar:

anything else?