PDA

View Full Version : Breeding questions

mshill90
12-21-2009, 11:59 PM
How are specific koi patterns bred?

Like, if I want kohakus... Do I take a female kohaku, and 2 male kohakus and try to spawn them?

Is it like dogs? Boxer with boxer = boxer?

I've heard sanke's and showa's are the hardest to get... why is that?

No, I have NO intentions of breeding. I'm just curious.

Luck
12-22-2009, 12:16 AM
there are lot's of ways to get the desired effect for most fish...kohaku x kohaku is the best way to get kohaku though...

mshill90
12-22-2009, 12:47 AM
there are lot's of ways to get the desired effect for most fish...kohaku x kohaku is the best way to get kohaku though...

So that's what that diagram is for! :clap:

KentuckyKoi
12-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Usually you want to pair up one female and two or three males. The reason for doing so is to get a better fertilization rate.

When breeding separate the female in a tank for a couple of hours before releasing the males in with her. Provide plenty of aeration, and a place to spawn. i.e. spawning ropes or water hyacinth. If they start chasing each other right away, then they are ready, if not, leave them there for another day, and if still no fry, do a water change to lower the temp. if after another day you still don't have a spawn, then release them back into the pond, and try again in a week.

Once you have fry, they will cling themselves to the spawning materials and the sides of the tank. after 3-4 days they will start to swim freely. once they do that, feel them the yolk of a hard boiled egg mixed with some water. This will start to give them the nutrient they need, and expand their bellies. When feeding, don't dump it all in one place, spread it out over the tank. feed this for 3 days. After that, you can start to feed brine shrimp or bloodworms. Once they get to about 2" in length, you can start them on mini pellet food.

Hope this helps.
-Eric

KentuckyKoi
12-30-2009, 01:21 PM
culling is a whole different story. :D:

mshill90
12-30-2009, 03:37 PM
culling is a whole different story. :D:

Yes... the painful art of culling for the hobbyist. :no:

DebbieKSW
12-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Even Kohaku will give you ,red,White, and red and white.No guarantees with the best colour.

mshill90
12-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Even Kohaku will give you ,red,White, and red and white.No guarantees with the best colour.

I figured the colors/patterns would vary.

It's like breeding dogs. Just because you breed 2 white boxers doesn't mean the puppies will be white.

Hirogoi
01-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Colors and patterns will always vary. That is why you can't breed to Tancho and get all Tancho.