PDA

View Full Version : growth stages. ??

dant
10-28-2009, 05:43 AM
my fry hatch on october 12th. i seperated them into two differnt ponds. both are 1000L. but one pond has more fry in it than the other. the temp of the too ponds are the same. so pond num 2 has better growth rates than pond 1. but pond one gets fed more than pond 2. so why is that pond 2 is better.?? they are about 1cm long now and the fry on pond one are about 5mm. when growing fry what is the normal stages days. months ect. should fry grow to what size?

Tommygug
10-28-2009, 10:42 AM
God only knows....I have grown my fry in three different ponds this spring. The growth rates differed in all three ponds....After culling, I had one three hundred gallon tub with about 75 fish in it. It was covered in water hyacinths. Last week, I rehomed all of the fish. The size range of the fish were from less than one inch to almost 6 inches long.
I did notice the fry I had grown in my upper pond, which were never feed but kept in the best quality water grew the largest of all my fry.

Koijazz
10-28-2009, 11:00 AM
when growing fry what is the normal stages days. months ect. should fry grow to what size?
It depends on the age of the female and the size of the eggs. My female I bred was only 2, so she had small eggs, thus tiny fry.

Tommygug
10-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Interesting, Is that true? My females were 3 years old....some of the fry grew quite large...

My males were from 2 years old to seven years old....

Koijazz
10-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Interesting, Is that true? My females were 3 years old....some of the fry grew quite large...

My males were from 2 years old to seven years old....

It is for my koi any way. I got her to breed last year, and the fry were even smaller and none survived. Two lived for for about 6 months, one was 1 1/2" and looked like a koi, the other was maybe 1" and looked nothing like a koi. It will be interesting to see the size of the fry next year.:yes:

UnkleTim
10-28-2009, 06:55 PM
some people grow quite large and others don't. genetics certainly enter into the equation here too, doncha thank?

dant
11-06-2009, 05:27 AM
its just weird cause ive seperated all the kohakus and sankes fry. ( sanke spawn..) and the singles colour koi and kohakus seems to be larger than the sankes. and they are all siblings. same water. same temps. same food deit. doubling in size.