PDA

View Full Version : wintering koi babies

skubasteve
10-15-2009, 05:41 PM
ok so i have like 100 koi babies left they rangs from 1 inch to 3.5 inches

is it ok to leave the bigger ones in the outdoor pond during the winter ?

it is not heated or covered and does get cold but does not freeze over

vipldy
10-15-2009, 07:04 PM
ok so i have like 100 koi babies left they rangs from 1 inch to 3.5 inches

is it ok to leave the bigger ones in the outdoor pond during the winter ?

it is not heated or covered and does get cold but does not freeze over

Fry need to be warm and fed their first year..The adult koi are fine outside but get the babies in and heated if you can!! We brought in 50-75 fry last year:eek1:

Tommygug
10-16-2009, 08:50 AM
I didn't know that, I left 150 koi outside(NY) last winter in three ponds. All of them survived. They had nice grow rates over the summer as well. I know some people who bring them inside but I thought that was just to grow them over the winter. The koi seem to lose some color over the winter when kept indoors. I was concerned about how it would affect their colors without any sun for so long. I have a Shuisu that was grown indoors, nice fish just bland. It has no pop.
I planned to kept this years spawn outside as well. I bred Sanke this year I figured the cold weather would help the sumi. Is there benefit to keeping them indoors other than growth? What is the correct procedure?

Cindy_AL
10-16-2009, 11:30 AM
I need info on this topic as well. My fry were born in April but range in size from 2.5" to about 4". Being in the south, we seldom have temps below freezing. The pond is 3.5' deep. Im confused about whether I should move them or not. (did not intend to move them)