PDA

View Full Version : Trying for Sanke

DebbieKSW
10-06-2009, 02:39 AM
This is my first try at breeding.My Sanke boy with Kohaku girl.
Why?
I love Sanke and they are the only pair I have.Hopefully they will click.I think he is a bit slow or shy...lol.

Marilyn
10-06-2009, 02:54 AM
I just wanted to wish you well on the venture Debbie. How exciting to be trying the breeding part of the hobby. :cheer:

PS Maybe a little mood music is in order, lol. jk ;)

kangakoi
10-06-2009, 03:30 AM
Hello Debbie,

sick of adpotion now are you? got your green water ready? My God, sanke, which one would you keep, the one with small spots or large spots or no spots? can you ask lots of questions so we can learn. Ahhh! where is Mr Benbow?

Tommygug
10-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Good Luck with your spawning. I breed Sanke's this spring, I am still not sure of the results. I am going to pull my grow out tank this weekend. Make sure you read Super Kindai's thread "2009 Project for Showa Breeding." There is lots of great info regarding culling the Sanke fry and other insights from SK.
Take Pictures!!!

Koijazz
10-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Take Pictures!!!

Yes, takes lots of pictures!

DebbieKSW
10-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Thanks Guys.
Kanga I have started a drum trying for "green water".
Most probably like you know it is so hard to find a dream Sanke.I will most probably thow out the good and keep the bad..lol.
We have had a cool change here and water temps are 16C so they are not doing a thing at the moment.
I have ordered brine shrimp eggs as well if the kids and the cats can not kick them over again...
I took out the spawning mops until the water gets warmer at the moment.

Super Kindai
10-07-2009, 12:38 AM
This is my first try at breeding.My Sanke boy with Kohaku girl.
Why?
I love Sanke and they are the only pair I have.Hopefully they will click.I think he is a bit slow or shy...lol.

If you have, adding kohaku boy for insurance purpose?

kangakoi
10-07-2009, 01:22 AM
Mr Super Kindai,

after the fry hatched, do you feed them green water and daphnia until the first cull or do you feed baby powder and do regular water changes? if i remember correctly in a thread somewhere you said that you feed daphnia.

Debbie,

Wow, brine shrimp eggs, so that mean only two hours of sleep a day for you. I think we should lease one of Bindi's many pond and house the fry until first cull + BBQ day.

Super Kindai
10-07-2009, 03:10 AM
Firstly, we try to increase daphnia as much as possible in ponds prior to spawn eggs. and then release hatched fry into ponds (slightly green) with full of daphnia. It's depend on a number of fry we release in each pond, usually daphnia last a couple of weeks. after that, we feed them baby powder, mashed food, kneaded food, etc.

kangakoi
10-07-2009, 04:17 AM
Mr Super Kindai,

Thank you Sir.

dick benbow
10-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Live food is important for about the first 40 days from hatching. This gets you into the first sembetsu (dividing) You can use brine shrimp to help suppliment after the initial daphnia numbers are used if you have a smaller spawn.

When you get your fry up to first cull stage, take a representtive photo of the different
babies and we can advise you which ones to keep.

You do know that Sanke is the hardest color variety to breed to get any good ones.

You may be tempted to keep some "good" kohaku if you find some with nice patterns but remember that could very well develop sumi later on. It usually is never strong enough to make a good Sanke for show so make up you mind if you want sanke or will try for both. Either way you'll get you education. :)

Good luck and if nothing else you can learn what goes into the process and respect those professionals who attempt to do it for a living.

kangakoi
10-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Mr Benbow,

Thank you for the reply. The 'shocking' truth is that we are isolated to the rest of the koi world(no importation)and our ponds getting smaller and smaller due to Goverment restrictions and draught next thing you know we will have to keep koi in bathtub :yes:

DebbieKSW
10-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Yes I appreciate the reply and offer as well.
currently our State Govt is threatening to double the cost of water.
The cost of electricitiy is more than a weeks food bill even now.
I don't know how they expect Pensioners to manage..
Kanga..
I thought that was what you did with your ponds?..Bathtubs...

kangakoi
10-09-2009, 02:48 AM
Debbie,

You know me too well..Hi...Hi..:yes:. Did you see the front of my house in "google map Australia"? the current record is 200 koi in 8000L and if the Govt getting their way, look like 200 in 1000L. How do like the new "bonsai" koi line that we created? ha..ha..

DebbieKSW
10-09-2009, 03:15 AM
smiliong..no mate..I didnt but I am currently filling up a 10,000 litre pool for the babies..if and when.It has turned cold over here so the romance is off until weather improves.
My boys want a pool but I reckon they can swim with the koi..

Koigrl
10-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi, Debbie, just saw your thread. Adding my good wishes to the others. this is so exciting, isn't it? and thanks for having a time/temp banner in Fahrenheit. keep us posted!

Tommygug
10-09-2009, 10:12 PM
You may want to move the parent stock to the pool you will raise the babies in. The change should be enough for them to go into spawning. As soon as they spawn remove the parent koi and then do a water change. It puts you control of when they spawn rather then waiting for them. Remember to have your daphnia multiplying as well. Good Luck

DebbieKSW
10-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks Max and Tommy.
They are in their home pool now.Minimum temps this week were 2C..far too cold.
I am filling the intec right now and will try to keep the kids out of it..ha...ha.

DebbieKSW
10-13-2009, 01:49 AM
I discovered a male kohaku almost 2 in the gal pond so he was thrown into the spawning pond this afternnon.
He is a bit young but may get things going.
Um.....I have the silliest of questions...can a koi have all the characteristics of a male,be 3 plus years old and not have rough gills?
The Sanke is like that.He has been in the boy pond for 2 years and I have had him for 3 this October.Long and thinish with no rough gills???what????

kangakoi
10-13-2009, 02:21 AM
Dear Debbie,

Ha..ha.. I was thinking the same thing too, Just wonder? any way, four things that we should look for as Bindi said. body shape, vent shape, gill & spect fins spots and the ultimate of all the squeeze test. if all fail, the fish is rather too young or a female in disguise. See, told you Bindi is clever :yes:

EricT
10-13-2009, 08:02 AM
i've been told ruff gills are only in the spawning season. now where that is true or not, i don't know.

i use the pec shape, body confirmation, and i look under them to determin sex.

kangakoi
10-15-2009, 05:32 AM
Debbie,

How is it going, any eggs yet?

DebbieKSW
11-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Well the good news is that we have fry...!!!
No other news is that I gave up on the Sanke pair and Mummy and Daddy are mr Ogon and Mrs Hariwake.
They have been cohabitating in my fry pond (hopeful) for a few weeks and yesterday my eyes saw what I just couldn't believe...babies!!!
I am guessing here that they are 5 - 6 days old.This morning we managed to get the parents out of the pond ,. 10,000 litres,and the babie s now have a chance at life!
This is my first koi breeding attempt and I am like a new parent here.
I will give some pics of Mum and Dad...

hondataeg6
11-11-2009, 11:09 AM
congrats, can we get more pictures ???

DebbieKSW
11-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Can do once I get my camera batteries replaced.
Babies may not be plentiful as Mum and Dad were in there during hatching.I hav eno idea as yet but have my fingers crossed.
I was adding fresh water and saw the eyes watching me....

Koijazz
11-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Congrats! Can't wait to see pics!