PDA

View Full Version : I had fry

gehrlekrona
09-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Las week i discovered some small fish, fry, in my pond. I didn't even know that my koi had spawned so I was pretty surprised when I found them.
At first I wasn't sure I had seen them but when I had to change some of the water in the pond because it was getting murky for some reason even though it had been good for a long while, I saw them again.
I counted to 7 small ones about an inch long and I was really happy about it. Then,one after the other died on meuntilI only had 2 left, one little orange happy go lucky one that was swimming all over the pond and a black one.
Now they are both gone so no more fry in the pond, at least what I can see :no:
My questions are, why do you guys think the other ones died and where did the last 2 go? Did the koi or goldfish eat them since there is no sign of them at all? I haven't seen any predators around and even if there were, wouldn't they get the big ones first?

I have seen other posts where people who have kois that have spawned and they have hundreds of offsprings. The only ones I saw was the ones that were about an inch so they must have been there a while. Also, people feed them with different stuff, which I, since I didn't know they were there, didn't do.

I know now that next year I got to be more careful if and when I see some small fishes so it doesn't happen again.

Sorry for the long post.

vipldy
09-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Las week i discovered some small fish, fry, in my pond. I didn't even know that my koi had spawned so I was pretty surprised when I found them.
At first I wasn't sure I had seen them but when I had to change some of the water in the pond because it was getting murky for some reason even though it had been good for a long while, I saw them again.
I counted to 7 small ones about an inch long and I was really happy about it. Then,one after the other died on meuntilI only had 2 left, one little orange happy go lucky one that was swimming all over the pond and a black one.
Now they are both gone so no more fry in the pond, at least what I can see :no:
My questions are, why do you guys think the other ones died and where did the last 2 go? Did the koi or goldfish eat them since there is no sign of them at all? I haven't seen any predators around and even if there were, wouldn't they get the big ones first?

I have seen other posts where people who have kois that have spawned and they have hundreds of offsprings. The only ones I saw was the ones that were about an inch so they must have been there a while. Also, people feed them with different stuff, which I, since I didn't know they were there, didn't do.

I know now that next year I got to be more careful if and when I see some small fishes so it doesn't happen again.

Sorry for the long post.

Hard to say what happened but could they be hiding? Fry are very good at that..The koi usually lose interest in eating them at 1" or so not to say they couldn't have ate them..Have you tried going out at night with a flash light to see? We had babies in our old pond and they did fine with big koi but thay had lots of hiding spots..Also have you checked your water for AM or Nitrites? Both will kill fry quick!

gehrlekrona
09-23-2009, 08:34 PM
My pond is about 5 feet deep in one end and I can't see the bottom there but there are not very many places where they can hide. There are crevices around the edges so maybe. I am still hoping they could be around. I have checked the skimmer but no fry there, which is good.
I haven't checked AM or Nitrates so maybe I should do that. I am not even a hobby breeder, just a pond owner and a new one. I got my pond last year with 5 koi (don't even know what typeit is!) and 3 gold fishes. All of them have grown HUGE this year after having survived the winter in the pond in Montana :)

I will try a flash light tonight. Do they usually come out at night?

gehrlekrona
09-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Anyone who knows what type of Koi I have in the picture above?

socalnick
09-24-2009, 08:17 PM
looks like goldfish and the white with black dots is a shiro bekko and some mutts

gehrlekrona
09-24-2009, 10:05 PM
At least there was one real Koi :) I knwe about the gold fishes :)
I checked my water today and there was no ammonia and no nitrates. I also got a flash light but did not see any fry so I guess they are gone.

Koijazz
09-25-2009, 12:13 AM
They could still be there. They're really good at finding hiding places, especially if they're dark colored fry.

gehrlekrona
09-25-2009, 07:22 PM
They say "hope is the last thing to leave a person" so I guess I am still hoping :)
I check my pond every day, not only to see if the fry's are there. Just relaxing.
I have noticed that one of the "mutts" is not eating,just swimming around looking like he/she is gasping for air. I tried to read up abut it and somewhere in this forum someone said that it could be because of parasites? If so, what do you treat it with? I checked the pet store that sells different stuff but wasn't sure what to get. All other fishes seems fine.