PDA

View Full Version : failed fry raising

themotorcycleshop
08-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Well we woke up one morning to find that our female chagoi (courtesy of bullfrog) had spawned as soon as we put her in the pond. Well we gathered some of the lilies and put them in a qt tank with water pumping in from the pond and back out into the pond. After a couple of days we had babies. Well waited another day til we could see them clearly and took them out of QT and into a seventy five gallon aquarium we had set up in the house. Well there were ninety nine when we put them in and they were fine for a little while, but slowly we started seeing less and less. After abt a week we saw only abt four or five survivors. Then nothing. What happened? I wld grind up flakes and drop them in and even dropped a few pellets once, I would always see them nibbling through the rocks. So what went wrong? Next question, what are my chances that sum will survive in the pond?? And what can I do to induce another spawn??

cindy
08-19-2009, 08:57 AM
water quality? temp? filtration? not enough air, too much air?

A good water change usually starts a spawn

Jenkins
08-19-2009, 12:11 PM
canabilsim is common in a small tank

stephen
08-19-2009, 12:17 PM
My guess would be a change of pH from the pond water to the aquarium water.

tyco4357
08-19-2009, 12:49 PM
If the tank was a new setup, could have been ammonia from feeding. What kinda filter did you have? Was it already seasoned?
How old where the fry when you began the flakes. They were probably too small to eat them, even ground up. You need to start on baby brine shrimp or fry food in the beginning and not too much but about 4-5 times a day. You have to check for ammonia and also too much areation can kill the fry. They are very fragile. You need to put the areation near the top of the water and use baby bubblers.

cootkoi
08-19-2009, 06:51 PM
green water ..the GREENER THE BETTER ... well for a few first days....