PDA

View Full Version : What do I look for during culling?

Chey
08-16-2009, 09:42 AM
This is my first experience with fry. :eek1: I was told I have pond quality fish. I have a Taisho Sanke, White Platinum Ogon, Ghost, white goldfish and gold &white goldfish. I also was told I have some promising fry as well. My Sanke has a very interesting bloodline. I am learning the names of the various types. I have found myself very fond of these fry. The practical experience I have learned this year is irreplaceable. The mom and dad are my Taisho and White Ogon (white ogon & ghost). I know I have a Tancho. I have a candy stripe kahaku. Are solid black ones noteworthy? I have a four-colored one and five-colored one (I think). I have one that has an orange circular with a majority black body. One with a yellow and white body. Which ones do I keep and which ones do I not? I would like to go to a koi show one day. I have one with its tail half the size of its body. I have interesting black, white, and orange ones. What should I look for? If I can't sell or give away the ones I do not keep, what do others do with those? :chin:

Chey
08-16-2009, 11:15 AM
If I were to continue this to next year, does anyone have an easy 1, 2, 3 rule guideline for the ideal setting in which to be successful, i.e., main pond, fry location, toby location, types of rotations. Pond sizes and its equipment. I know I haven't given you my setup. I was just wondering is there a general rule-of-thumb and would anyone mind sharing how they began and what they used? Thanks

Chey
08-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Should I have posted this under another topic site?

Chey
08-16-2009, 01:04 PM

I had difficulty attaching anymore than these four... more to follow.

Chey
08-16-2009, 01:15 PM
I will keep trying.

Tommygug
08-16-2009, 02:15 PM
You will get better practical advice if you provided some pictures. During the initial culling you should remove any deformed fish. I also removed any fish lacking colors.

DebbieKSW
08-16-2009, 06:01 PM
the best idea also is to mate koi with similar pattern types aiming at a certain type..eg ogon/ogon etc.
Then when culling remove all disfigured koi,take tobies out,look for the best pattern and shine.
Also go for shape and keep taking out disfigured ones.I hope that helps a bit.