PDA

View Full Version : What happens to fry colours.

expat
08-06-2009, 02:48 PM
As I said in a previous thread our mud pond fry represent a whole range of colours. Some already have well defined black and white, some green (different shades) gold, blue, brown and kohaku like etc etc. I was wondering what is likely to happen over time and what clours may be kept and what lost. I guess this is more to do with genetics (which are unknown) but what is your experience.

Koijazz
08-06-2009, 03:16 PM
My green fry so far are remaining green and by black/gray fry are remain black/gray. My yellow fry with black spots are turning into white with black spots and some orange coming in. My kohaku used to be a pearly pink and is still getting some orange spots. When you say "blue", do you mean blue or grayish blue?

expat
08-07-2009, 08:41 PM
My green fry so far are remaining green and by black/gray fry are remain black/gray. My yellow fry with black spots are turning into white with black spots and some orange coming in. My kohaku used to be a pearly pink and is still getting some orange spots. When you say "blue", do you mean blue or grayish blue?

Both, some have blue bodies and different coloured heads, some gray, a couple look as though they are Gin Rin. I expect a lot of potential changes will happen to a 3" fish. but do some retain their look or do they all deteriate. People talk about 12" fish being "finished" and expect them to go down hill from then on, but a much smaller fish that looks finished ?