PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Used this?

Koijazz
08-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Has anyone used Tetra Pond Koi Growth Food? My fry are are only a 1/3 the size they should be by now and I am wondering if the food actually helps them grow quicker. Also, is $16 a good price for a 9.5 OZ bag?

Tommygug
08-06-2009, 01:04 PM
It is the food I first used in my pond when I got into Koi...It is not the best quality food. I would not use it for fry. The key to growing fry quickly is good water and high protein foods. I use bloodworms, daphnia and some better quality small pellets. I crush some for the fry. I believe tobies grow so quickly because of their diet, 100% protein (fry) I try to get as close to that as possible...And lots of water changes....$263 worth according to my wife!!!!Good Luck

Koijazz
08-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Did you buy the food to help the koi grow or just as regular food?

EricT
08-06-2009, 04:25 PM
i feed my fry freeze dried bloodworms until they where about 3/4"+ then i feed a mixture of bloodworms and crushed blackwater max growth mixed with color.

Koijazz
08-06-2009, 05:50 PM
i feed my fry freeze dried bloodworms until they where about 3/4"+ then i feed a mixture of bloodworms and crushed blackwater max growth mixed with color.

How much do they grow in about a month with that brand?

EricT
08-06-2009, 06:51 PM
well, i just started this about two weeks ago, but i'd say 1/4 inch in two weeks.

also, having more water volume will help a lot.

i've heard that in the right water temps, and quality, they can grow 1" a month, although mine are about 2 1/2 months old, and most are still 1" - 1 1/4"

-eric

EricT
08-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Has anyone used Tetra Pond Koi Growth Food? My fry are are only a 1/3 the size they should be by now and I am wondering if the food actually helps them grow quicker. Also, is $16 a good price for a 9.5 OZ bag?

:no: i can get a 5lbs bag of blackwater growth for 13.00 plus shipping.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5470+15908&pcatid=15908

Koijazz
08-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks! How big is your fry living space? Mine is an inflatable kiddie pool that's 3X4X1.

EricT
08-06-2009, 07:10 PM
currently mine are in a 100 gal stock tank 5x2x1, but will be moving to a 250 gal tank soon.

-eric

EricT
08-06-2009, 07:11 PM
this coming spring when i do my first paired spawning, i plan on using this to grow them out.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1982/Baby-Koi-Starter-Pack

Koijazz
08-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Good luck hatching the brine shrimp eggs. (Mine never hatch for some reason)

EricT
08-06-2009, 07:22 PM
ha, i was going to just going to toss the brine shrimp eggs away. mine never did hatch either.

i guess i can keep trying.

so koijazz, got any new pictures of the fry? i can try and get some of mine..

be right back! :D:

Koijazz
08-06-2009, 07:24 PM
I'll try to get some tonight. They'll be on the other thread though.

Koijazz
08-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Forgot to mention, I've heard the egg shells from the brine shrimp eggs can kill the fry, something about clogging their system or something.

EricT
08-06-2009, 07:51 PM
when i hatch brime shrimp eggs, i use a empty 2 liter bottle, and cut the bottom off.

i put the cap on the ground, and secure the bottle, then i put a small air pump in to keep the eggs suspended, and after they hatch, i catch them with a net, and flush all the sunken egg shells out.

-eric

EricT
08-06-2009, 08:04 PM
link for pictures and descriptions.

http://www.kentuckykoi.com/koi-fry.html

EricT
08-06-2009, 08:04 PM
the green tube is 1" exactly.

Tommygug
08-06-2009, 11:40 PM
My fry are in a 600 gal tank, I do a 33% water change every other day. I mix the crushed pellets with the other foods, my thought was a balanced meal for them. I never have had any luck with the brine shrimp either but I find growing live daphnia extremely easy. I separated 15 fish and feed them just daphnia from birth. They grew larger than the ones in my 600 gallon and their colors were further developed than the rest.

EricT
08-07-2009, 12:38 AM
how do you grow daphnia? seems like something i should look into.

Thanks!
-eric

Tommygug
08-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Daphnia are really easy to grow. You can start a culture in green water (old pond water) add some oak leaves, let sit for a week or so, daphnia start growing. The easy way is to buy a started culture on ebay($10-$12) have a tank with green water ready. I use a 300 gal Rubbermaid tank, kiddie pools work good too. Add the daphnia, a little aeration, when the water clears add some bakers yeast ½ teaspoon or spirulina powder or both. The daphnia multiple like crazy once they get going. In the afternoon, mine swarm at the top of the tank. I use a net and scoop them out. In the spring, I freeze them in ice cube trays. Then I just toss a cube or two in to feed the fish during the day. I do a water change every couple of weeks but I slowly trickle old pond water in. The daphnia do not like new water but the water changes help keep the production steady.

Koijazz
08-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Thank you for the Daphina instructions. I bought a 5 LB bag of the Blackwater Max Growth. Is it too late to do Daphina now?

Tommygug
08-07-2009, 10:53 AM
No, not at all…. I grow them through October! I would just not have the tank out in the direct sun. I find they do better with water temps 70- 85 degrees. When my water gets to warm, production seems to slow down drastically. The fry seem do much better with live food versus dry food but I would think both foods together would be optimum.

EricT
08-07-2009, 11:22 AM
i use live food until they are 1" then i start mixing with dry food.

i'll toss in a whole pellet every now and then, and they love to move it around the tank, like they are playing soccer or something

-eric

Koijazz
08-07-2009, 02:31 PM
EricT, did you buy the size small koi food? I was wondering how many mil they are.

EricT
08-07-2009, 04:21 PM
no, i just got the medium pellets in the blackwater growth, and u just crushed them up.

hope it helps
-eric

expat
08-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Daphnia are really easy to grow. You can start a culture in green water (old pond water) add some oak leaves, let sit for a week or so, daphnia start growing. The easy way is to buy a started culture on ebay($10-$12) have a tank with green water ready. I use a 300 gal Rubbermaid tank, kiddie pools work good too. Add the daphnia, a little aeration, when the water clears add some bakers yeast ½ teaspoon or spirulina powder or both. The daphnia multiple like crazy once they get going. In the afternoon, mine swarm at the top of the tank. I use a net and scoop them out. In the spring, I freeze them in ice cube trays. Then I just toss a cube or two in to feed the fish during the day. I do a water change every couple of weeks but I slowly trickle old pond water in. The daphnia do not like new water but the water changes help keep the production steady.
Do you mean Daphnia will start to grow without a starter culture

Tommygug
08-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Yes they do, my neighbor leaves buckets around his yard that collect leaves and he gets daphnia growing in them. He says they start in a week or so. My current batch was started that way....

EricT
08-07-2009, 11:37 PM
i will dig up this thread next spring, and i will try it for myself.

-eric

Koijazz
08-13-2009, 08:53 PM
I got my koi food today! :yahoo: I didn't know it was possible to make such tiny pellets! :eek1: I amazingly still have to crush them a little so everyone can eat. We'll soon see if it helps their growth.

EricT
08-13-2009, 09:27 PM
i haven't tried the small pellets. all my food is medium pelets, and for the fry, i cut them up in 1/4 sections, then smash half of the pellets i cut up with a hammer so all of them get to pick which size they want. :cool3:

Koijazz
08-14-2009, 11:44 AM
I've always found a hammer too tedious and bought a pill crusher at the pharmacy. It really works great. You get some bigger pieces and some pieces practically dust.