• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Air Lift Pond Vacuum

divedaddy03 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

DIY Air Lift Pond Vacuum

Here is a project that I've just started on and hopefully it will help some others too...

I still need to refine some of it but it's well on it's way to doing all the hard work for me this summer! Whoot.

Let me know if you have any ideas on how to make this work even better...follow up video to come when it warms up.

Cheers, Wayne
      York, SC

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Goki56 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ WWKC Secretary ~ 2020 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Thank you for sharing Wayne. Looking forward to your follow up video.
      Gordana

Koiphen 2020 Koi Person of the Year!

jimc2142003 is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very cool - great idea.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the props....
      I made a few modifications to the vacuum over the weekend and it's working very, very, very well!
      I changed the air output (inside the end of the large black pipe) and made it smaller to act more like a jet rather than a bubbler.
      I still needed a larger volume air compressor so I borrowed my neighbors air compressor.
      And....It worked!
      Video coming shortly...

Cheers,

Wayne, SC

TLD is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm looking forward to seeing the follow up video. I'm always looking for new ways to clean the ponds.
      Tom

Longfin Lover is offline Senior Member
      is Northern Ponder

Feeling:
      Happy

You have me thinking. I'll stay tuned.

proudly Canadian

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

DIY Air Lift Koi Pond Vacuum (Part 2/2)

Hey Ya'll, sorry it's been so long since I posted!

Here is the follow up video to the first one...I'm still planning on making some additional modifications but it's is performing very well.

If you have additional questions, comments, or props...I'd love it if you would comment on the Youtube video as well, I think I'm onto something with this Air Lift Koi Pond Vacuum.

I will be making a video of the performance in the next couple of weeks...if you subscribe to my channel, you will get updates as they happen!

Let me know if you have any ideas as to how this could be modified to perform even better...I'm thinking that a smaller lift tube would be better?

Wayne, SC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpfmmRigW8w

Billy Pounds is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am enjoying this idea you have Wayne..for starters,I would go w/2" pipe ...maybe 1 1/2" is the smallest I'd go....I was trying to envision a T at the end of your vacuum pipe with a piece of same diameter pipe going out of both sides of the T, with a capped 90*degree spigot and socket elbow on the ends so it gets you slightly above the pond bottom..s and s fitting is the pipe goes on one end and into the other ...the spigot and socket can be cut off on the spigot end to make the height less off the bottom of the pond floor when you put the end caps on......and attain the proper angle for vacuum bar with the attitude of the T to your drain pipe when you final glue...with about a 1" elongated slit cut perpendicular to your up tube out of the bottoms of those 2 extended pieces for debris to go into...I'm not sure how you would modify the uplift fittings yet, other than 2 elbows for each side and a brass T...as for the 1 jet opening cut into the top of the T, the way you have your prototype notched, may be strong enough to pull silt through the slits but it wouldn't have the pin point strength of the orifice you have now as opposed to the wider longer openings..maybe 2 jets would even the up flow out or make it stronger and more effective......maybe you could modify the size of your drain manifold to fit the size of a shop vac sized hose...lighter, more flexible...you could let it trail behind you back into the pond where you have already vacuumed with the debris bag attached to it...that would eliminate your extra large gutter hose.....i heard you make mention of disturbing the bottom and affecting your vision through the water...just start on the shallow end and walk to the deep end as you vacuum and you only release water behind you through the flexible hose ..the only down side to dragging the bag would be the fine particulates that would drain back in the water...maybe a longer hose like what you get at the pool store would get you all the way out of the pond with the finer silt and the bigs too... I don't know if any of these ideas will help you in your quest...keep us updated..Billy
      Last edited by Billy Pounds; 03-26-2013 at 06:55 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Allinkdup View Post
      I am enjoying this idea you have Wayne..for starters,I would go w/2" pipe ...maybe 1 1/2" is the smallest I'd go....I was trying to envision a T at the end of your vacuum pipe with a piece of same diameter pipe going out of both sides of the T, with a capped 90*degree spigot and socket elbow on the ends so it gets you slightly above the pond bottom..s and s fitting is the pipe goes on one end and into the other ...the spigot and socket can be cut off on the spigot end to make the height less off the bottom of the pond floor when you put the end caps on......and attain the proper angle for vacuum bar with the attitude of the T to your drain pipe when you final glue...with about a 1" elongated slit cut perpendicular to your up tube out of the bottoms of those 2 extended pieces for debris to go into...I'm not sure how you would modify the uplift fittings yet, other than 2 elbows for each side and a brass T...as for the 1 jet opening cut into the top of the T, the way you have your prototype notched, may be strong enough to pull silt through the slits but it wouldn't have the pin point strength of the orifice you have now as opposed to the wider longer openings..maybe 2 jets would even the up flow out or make it stronger and more effective......maybe you could modify the size of your drain manifold to fit the size of a shop vac sized hose...lighter, more flexible...you could let it trail behind you back into the pond where you have already vacuumed with the debris bag attached to it...that would eliminate your extra large gutter hose.....i heard you make mention of disturbing the bottom and affecting your vision through the water...just start on the shallow end and walk to the deep end as you vacuum and you only release water behind you through the flexible hose ..the only down side to dragging the bag would be the fine particulates that would drain back in the water...maybe a longer hose like what you get at the pool store would get you all the way out of the pond with the finer silt and the bigs too... I don't know if any of these ideas will help you in your quest...keep us updated..Billy

Hi Billy,

Ok, big mistake when making my first video and I just caught it! Gurr.... :^(

I said that the lift pipe was 3" and the TeeWy was 4" which is incorrect...the lift pipe is actually 2" and the Tee is 3" x 3" x 3".

That said, I'd say it could even go down to 1.5" or even 1.25" if I can figure out an easy way (smaller air jet tip) jet the air into the lift pipe.

Additionally, I'd say the lift pipe could all be flexible (everything but the vacuum end) and it could run into a larger "filter canister" sitting beside the pond...just some thoughts.

I'm sorry about the following statement....but you lost me with the design of the head above.

I like what you say about modifying the size of the drain manifold and letting it trail behind you when you vacuum...good thought.

That said, mine is small enough (it would work nicely in the larger ponds) that I can do all the work from the sides and would like to build my personal vacuum to work for that application.

I need to go to a pool store because what I'm finding at Lowes and Home Depot just isn't cutting it...my quest was to build this for cheep using parts from a hardware store however, I'm believing less and less that it will happen.

I even thought of using foam floats to manage the water weight in the discharge hose...??

Thank you for the ideas, it's greatly appreciated.

Maybe you could try to reexplain some of the above? I'm sorry!

Wayne, SC

-- Koi Pond Update 3/22/2013 (below) --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKskdOOUDWc

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wayne, here is a diagram that may explain my thought process a little better...I hope it helps...once you get ready to glue the up pipe to the T in the center you can spin it while you are gluing to the T to get the proper angle for the vacuum to be more effective over the bottom...OR, maybe invert a 45* angle elbow to the T to the up pipe...as far as the slits in the bottom, maybe all the way across the bottom side of the main T as well as along the bottom of the 2 spacer pipes would work better...maybe not....I dont know how much air would be generated downward through the slits...it may disturb the silt and stuff you are after and interfere too much with the task at hand...maybe the shutoff valve for your air feed could be turned up or turned down to adjust the effect....but I am thinking only slits in the 2 pipes....I am also thinking the width of the slits may need to be played with for best effect...wider may be better, maybe not.....Billy PS...I have never been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD....I'm 50 and I have always had trouble focusing on things....LOL...so excuse my sporadic thought process....that's just how I function
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by Billy Pounds; 03-28-2013 at 04:43 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Allinkdup View Post
      Wayne, here is a diagram that may explain my thought process a little better...I hope it helps...once you get ready to glue the up pipe to the T in the center you can spin it while you are gluing to the T to get the proper angle for the vacuum to be more effective over the bottom...OR, maybe invert a 45* angle elbow to the T to the up pipe...as far as the slits in the bottom, maybe all the way across the bottom side of the main T as well as along the bottom of the 2 spacer pipes would work better...maybe not....I dont know how much air would be generated downward through the slits...it may disturb the silt and stuff you are after and interfere too much with the task at hand...maybe the shutoff valve for your air feed could be turned up or turned down to adjust the effect....but I am thinking only slits in the 2 pipes....I am also thinking the width of the slits may need to be played with for best effect...wider may be better, maybe not.....Billy PS...I have never been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD....I'm 50 and I have always had trouble focusing on things....LOL...so excuse my sporadic thought process....that's just how I function
      Hey Billy, that's how I function too!

Matter of fact, it was probably that function that wouldn't let me sit still long enough to figure out what you were trying to explained hehe But, I thought that is what you were suggesting.

Question, is the left and right elbow/90's that are capped off only for depth adjustment? I just want to make sure I'm understanding what you're thinking...

I don't think that two jets would work unless, was a wye instead of a tee in the middle...it would direct the water up rather than into the opposing side.

I think that this could all be built out of 1.5" PVC too...and the discharge hose would not have to be build into the handle but rather the hose could be independent...this would allow you to put floats on the discharge hose and keep it on top of the water and not messing up the bottom algae.

Thoughts?

Wayne, SC

What I built this week. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LesYSJmbvD0

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hey ya'll!

I was able to get some video of the DIY Air Lift Pond Vacuum in action this weekend.

I build a DIY Universal Camera Mount this weekend (See Video Below) and now will be able to produce much higher quality video as a result.

Here is the Air Lift Pond Vacuum in action (See Video Below).

All the best,

Wayne, SC

Longfin Lover is offline Senior Member
      is Northern Ponder

Feeling:
      Happy

VERY impressive! I really think you are onto something there. Your Air Lift Pond Vacuum is a great idea. I also really like your thoughts of the universal camera mount. Now anyone can get a bird's eye view of their pond or yard layout when planning a pond or that elusive finished pond aerial shot . Bonus is that you are able to check your roof or chimney without having to climb a ladder.

proudly Canadian

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for the kind words, I agree....I do think I'm onto something with this.
      Next one will be quite a bit different this time around, I'm thinking that it will be more like a pool vacuum w/air.
      The Camera mount works really great, now I will be able to give you all a little bit better video content in the future.

Wayne, SC
      http://aworld4change.wordpress.com

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry Wayne...I haven't seen this thread since the last time i posted on it...yes the capped elbows are only to adjust height and to give you a nice smooth edge for pulling across the bottom of the pond and i think the head that i drew up would work perfectly for this after watching your latest video...and yes a wye would seem to be a better choice for the vortex/uplift deal..but I just cant recall seeing a wye that looks like a Y...lol....Billy
      Last edited by Billy Pounds; 04-09-2013 at 01:24 PM.

salmon alley is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Fascinating idea. I would love to build one of these for my ponds. I've been doing the back-breaking routine of draining the pond, sweeping the muck and then shoveling it out. This would be fantastic.
      A couple quick questions:
      Why did you oversize the wye fitting? Why not just use a wye fitting which matches the diameter of the vacuum pipe?
      Is the "dry" end of the vacuum capped off to maintain suction?

Thanks for posting this!

KoiKid55 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

JUst curious how do i see videos they dont show up for me

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

bonita69 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

ME LIKE!!!!! Going to build one myself!!! So did anybody go with 2" all the way around and get same performance? Or do you need the 3" T for the discharge to get that flow rate? Divedaddy is it possible for you to show a pic up close of the nozzles your using for the air lift and where to buy. Thanks!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm so, so, so sorry for missing out on this thread....I'm NOT getting email updates! Gurr!
      I will get you pics tomorrow! In the mean time, check out the pond update video below.
      Pics coming, I'm just out of time today. I promise!!!!
      Please subb to my youtube channel so you don't miss the updates and changes to my vacuums as well.

Wayne, SC

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast