• Tired
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best bead filter?

Lunatoons is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Best bead filter?

I have a chance to buy an unused Ultima II filter at a good price. I have an old FluidArt Bead filter I think is not doing as good a job as I'd like that I'd like to replace with an updated one. It's connected to the skimmer line.

I'd like to hear what others think of the Ultima II, and whether it's a good filter. Or is there another pressurized filter I'm better off waiting for? Is it asking too much for fines and bio filtration?
      Thanks for your thoughts...
      Vicki

"Some of my best friends have scales!"

Member Dallas Koi Kichi Club (www.dallaskoikichi.org)
      Member North Texas Water Garden Society (www.ntwgs.org)

Always learning!
      6000 gallon liner pond
      Skimmer to 1/4 hp 2 speed pump to Bead filter to 4 jets,
      2-4" BD to SC to Nexus 300 to 1/4 hp Performance Pro Artesian pump to 2 S/G filters to waterfall

Click for Dallas, Texas Forecast

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

MikeS is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hoping Koiman1950 will chime in, I know I like mine
      Mike & Sharon Shaw
      Jonesborough TN

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=437164

mpageler is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Not familar with the FluidArt and what it's flow rate and capcity is. Too little or too much can affect a beads performance. Bead filters generally benefit from a blower for better backwashing...your's have one? Others will know if it can be a strong performing bead with a certain level of operations/maintenance.
      MN Mike

5400g 10'x14'x 5
      Dry Stacked Block Walls - Drop-in Liner
      4" BD - Cetus Seive - DIY Skimmer
      125g MB w/8ft2 Biollow9
      Converted Trition II Sand Filter

My Pond Construction
      My QT Tank
      My Indoor Overwintering Tank
      Calculating K1 Bio Media

BAVOTOI is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lunatoons
      how much $ you want spend IF $2000 to $4000 call them and ask or little lesss I will tell something el.
      Sacramento Koi
      4670 Pacific St Unit 200
      Rocklin, CA 95677
      Phone: 1 (916) 652-4231

jrlaubin is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

what size is the fluid art and new Ultima? and how much water is being pumped through it?

bdel01 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would also be interested in what the group says on this:

You should also include the bead filters made by Sac Koi & GC Tek - Aquabead & Alphaone

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by bdel01 View Post
      I would also be interested in what the group says on this:

You should also include the bead filters made by Sac Koi & GC Tek - Aquabead & Alphaone
      Yes, I was wondering about any comparison with these as well.

The FluidArt is rated for 10,000 gallons but you know how exaggerated that probably is. I have a 1/4 hp pump on the bead filter, don't really know what the flow rate is. I'll see if I can find out. It does have a blower on it and I backwash it once a week (twice a week in the summer). It's not my only filtration, but if I can improve the fines and bio filtration that would be awesome...

As far as $$ goes, it seems koi are a "rich man's hobby" sometimes, and I'm just a "working stiff" so that's why this seemed like a good deal, but only if it's an improvement over what I have now...
      Vicki

Always learning!
      6000 gallon liner pond
      2-4" BD to SC to Nexus 300 to 1/4 hp Performance Pro Artesian pump to 2 S/G filters to waterfall

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Asking a pressurized filter to perform mechanical AND bio, is quite a lofty ambition. I have a personal/professional favorite for these types of filters and that is the Ultima, hands down. I have a 20000 on my 10000gal pond. It's not the ideal situation being a swimming pool conversion. But, I must say, this will be the 10th season this has been in operation and it continues to perform better than my expectations. I run a 1/3hp self priming pump and NO BLOWER! The pump performs backwashing/rinsing cycles just fine. I occasionally remove the valve head to make sure the screen under the valve head is clear of any debris. When I do that, it is always before I perform a backwashing. I check the media for any clogging/clumping and there has NEVER been any. I just recently checked the media and found it to look just like I just installed it. I couldn't believe how clean it was! Now, during the summer months it does show a bit of accumulated bio within the media tubes, so it does perform "some" bio. I just consider this when calculating my bio needs based on my stocking/feeding regiment.

We have removed other types of "bead" filters from clients ponds. I feel there are two reasons for this.
      1.- the customer was mis-informed by the retailer/installer that it was properly sized for the pond and that they don't need to be cleaned more than monthly, but usually every 2-3 months is fine!!!
      2.- No blower was installed to facilitate proper mechanical cleaning AND the pump installed was an improper size/type.

Vicki

I would say that there are a few actual "bead filters" on the market, that with an appropriate sized pump AND a 2hp blower, would provide you with good mechanical filtration. Just don't count of them for bio, regardless of any claims made BY ANYONE to the contrary.

Also, tell us, what make/model is the 1/4hp pump you're currently using on the AquaArt 10000? I would say it's undersized for that filter model, but according to your siggy, you state it is a 1/4hp two-speed pump. If the 1/4hp the high flow end of this pump or the slow speed portion?

BTW, what size is the Ultima and how much did they offer it to you for?

Mike
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Asking a pressurized filter to perform mechanical AND bio, is quite a lofty ambition. I have a personal/professional favorite for these types of filters and that is the Ultima, hands down. I have a 20000 on my 10000gal pond. It's not the ideal situation being a swimming pool conversion. But, I must say, this will be the 10th season this has been in operation and it continues to perform better than my expectations. I run a 1/3hp self priming pump and NO BLOWER! The pump performs backwashing/rinsing cycles just fine. I occasionally remove the valve head to make sure the screen under the valve head is clear of any debris. When I do that, it is always before I perform a backwashing. I check the media for any clogging/clumping and there has NEVER been any. I just recently checked the media and found it to look just like I just installed it. I couldn't believe how clean it was! Now, during the summer months it does show a bit of accumulated bio within the media tubes, so it does perform "some" bio. I just consider this when calculating my bio needs based on my stocking/feeding regiment.

We have removed other types of "bead" filters from clients ponds. I feel there are two reasons for this.
      1.- the customer was mis-informed by the retailer/installer that it was properly sized for the pond and that they don't need to be cleaned more than monthly, but usually every 2-3 months is fine!!!
      2.- No blower was installed to facilitate proper mechanical cleaning AND the pump installed was an improper size/type.

Vicki

I would say that there are a few actual "bead filters" on the market, that with an appropriate sized pump AND a 2hp blower, would provide you with good mechanical filtration. Just don't count of them for bio, regardless of any claims made BY ANYONE to the contrary.

Also, tell us, what make/model is the 1/4hp pump you're currently using on the AquaArt 10000? I would say it's undersized for that filter model, but according to your siggy, you state it is a 1/4hp two-speed pump. If the 1/4hp the high flow end of this pump or the slow speed portion?

Mike
      Thanks Mike for your thoughtful post. I only know it is the Ultima II-10,000 gallon capacity. He said he paid $1600 for it but he's ready to sell and I think I could get a good deal on it.

The Fluid Art is rated for 10,000 gallons as well. You may have hit the nail on the head about the pump. My pump went out last year, and I replaced it with an Emerson EZ48 2 speed pump. It doesn't say what the gph is but I think it goes from 1/4hp to 1.5 hp (for backwashing). Maybe my problem is the pump...I'm looking at the fluid art website and their "systems" come with a minimum of 3/4 hp pumps . We were trying to save electricity by going with 1/4 hp but it may not be worth it if the filter doesn't do as well as it should...gives me something to think about...thank you!
      Vicki

Always learning!
      6000 gallon liner pond

h3nry is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can anyone here give me your opinion on Bubble Bead Filter?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

DRnNY is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have an ultima 2000 on my pond(about 800 gal).The first few years I had it I wasn't to impressed with it,but I had no prefilter and direct suction to pump(PP-3600 gph). I also had a skimmer circuit with an additional submersible pump(Cal pump=ENERGY HOG) that stopped working.Instead of buying another pump I tied my skimmer line into my BD line and purchased a MC-50 for a prefilter and the water got very clear and water parameters are very stable now.I also have a Laguna WF filter that I gutted and put Matala matting in.I'm sure with the added head from the MC-50 slowed the flow thru the ultima somewhat and I think that helped a bit. I backwash every week and about once a month I use a blower to backwash and it seems to be working good. It's not a bad filter for the money but I would recommend a pre filter of some sort before it.Good Luck

Dan
      Click for Levittown, New York Forecast

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The bubble bead filters use gravity to drain the water sucking air in an inlet at the narrow waist line area of the filter. My experience is that it does not provide enough force to backwash out the algae that does find its way in. There is an improved plumbing arrangement where the pump can feed through the outlet at the top during backwash which makes it a better filter, but the bead filters that use the air blowers for the cleaning are much superior. I have a BBF-2, which is rather old, a SacKoi 15, and a Aquadyne 4.4B, and truely prefer the SacKoi filter.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

fairlady is offline Senior Member
      is Happily Retired

Feeling:
      Happy

I have a Ultima 2....I back wash one a week and have had no problems except a bad pressure valve after about 5 years...which honey replaced.
      Susie

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Y'all for your input!
      Vicki

Always learning!
      6000 gallon liner pond

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post

Vicki

Mike
      What type of media does the Ultima use? Is it beads or something more like K-1?
      Vicki

Always learning!
      6000 gallon liner pond

fairlady is offline Senior Member
      is Happily Retired

Feeling:
      Happy

The Ultima 2 is a Bead filter....
      Susie

MikeS is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The Ultima uses a proprietary tubular media about 4 mm in diameter x 12 mm long it is triangular with ridges on the outside and had 3 sections on the inside. It's not really a bead per se and actually provides a bit more bio sacrificing some fines filtration ability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Mike & Sharon Shaw
      Jonesborough TN

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=437164

Noahsnana is offline Koiphen Admin -
      is KPOTY 2024

Feeling:
      ----

I have an Sak koi Advantage 15 and love love love it
      The will of God will not take you where the grace of God cannot keep you. .....
      "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill Zone 7a
      I believe it can happen... Koi World Peace
      "The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money." - Margaret Thatcher
      KPOTY 2024

krautz33 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have two sac koi bead filters and think they are amazing. I would purchase the sac koi filter if I were to buy another new one!!!!

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatoons View Post
      What type of media does the Ultima use? Is it beads or something more like K-1?
      See MikeS's post below.

Quote Originally Posted by fairlady View Post
      The Ultima 2 is a Bead filter....
      This is a generic term used by some people, as it is a "closed/pressurized" filter. But it is NOT a BEAD filter.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
      The Ultima uses a proprietary tubular media about 4 mm in diameter x 12 mm long it is triangular with ridges on the outside and had 3 sections on the inside. It's not really a bead per se and actually provides a bit more bio sacrificing some fines filtration ability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I would say that the Ultima is closer to an "all in one" filter than a true bead filter. However, I still don't feel enough bio activity goes on inside them to classify their use as a mechanical/bio filter unit. However, a TRUE bead filter, one that actually uses poly beads for media, is a bit better at trapping fine particulates, but I would consider these last if you're looking for a combo type filter. Remember, the filtration on a koi pond is/should be "a system" and there really are no single components that can be considered all encompassing.

Mike
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast