• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 202728293031323340 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fishy Fisher Fish Family......

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

So this morning koi keeping really sucked. I went out to feed the fish this morning and my pond was only 3 inches deep. I was testing a new more powerful pump on the RDF cleaning and it had a defect as it actually died after 4 days of use. As a result the screen got dirty, clogged, and the water level rose above the waste trough line and started emptying out of the pond. The only reason it took so long is that it was also spilling over into the shower still and the drain line cannot gravity release as much as the pump was pushing so it was overflowing the waste trough as well.

Thankfully the pump lost suction and left some water in the pond. All of the new tosai and tamasaba were not impacted due to their size. Most of the koi could stay somewhat upright and had air so they recovered fast once the pond got some more water in it. My three largest however were impacted the most. An Asagi, Yamabuki, and Chagoi were all stuck on their sides due their physical size. Thankfully two were on their size next to the aeration. The Asagi suffered what looks like some sunburn as it has little white spots on the skin of its face. She is back to normal and hungry, but one to watch. The Yamabuki lost a scale or two and is rightfully a little skiddish right now. She at least came up for a little food. The Chagoi however was stuck in a corner and was barely alive when i got out there. I placed her next to the air as the pond filled but she did not make it. I took a final measure of 32 inches before burying her in the back corner of the yard. I plan to get a plumbego later today to plant over her.

It was a heart attack moment but a teachable moment as well. Any pump fed system needs to have a safety back up and I never installed one and just happened to luck out for nearly a decade. While the pond filled back up I took the time to start by hooking up the original pump for the RDF cleaning spray bar. After that I made a trip out to a few stores for some parts. I installed a larger weather box for the outlet and a piggy back float switch. It is connected to my retro BD pipe and my pump is now plugged into the outlet via the float switch plug. From here forward should the RDF cleaning pump go out, a pipe bursts, etc....the pump will shut off in the water level gets too low. The float is positioned to where I do my water changes so if the system fails, they will still have a solid foot or so of water to survive in while the air pump is still running.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Man, that's tough. I'm sorry to hear. I'll need to come up with something similar.

I do have an Out of Water alarm setup on my Seneye but it won't actually turn off the pump.
      Last edited by audioenvy; 03-24-2018 at 04:19 PM.

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Sorry to hear jim. Could have been worse.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      Man, that's tough. I'm sorry to hear. I'll need to come up with something similar.

I do have an Out of Water alarm setup on my Seneye but it won't actually turn off the pump.
      This is what I put in. This goes in the outlet and your pump is plugged into the back of its plug. The end is secured underwater at what ever cut off level you want to have. If the water drops below it, it cuts off power at the plug to your pump. Far cheaper than the Seneye too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...ck+%7Brest%7D+

Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Sorry for your grief.
      even though they may seem fine now, you need to watch out for secondary infection.
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by rainblood View Post
      Sorry for your grief.
      even though they may seem fine now, you need to watch out for secondary infection.
      I had similar problem and few fish had bulging eyes so I salted to . O1 and all the fish were fine.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rainblood View Post
      Sorry for your grief.
      I am out there regularly at this point checking on them. Today we had planned to go to Disney and I skipped and staid home working on the pond and monitoring it. I am watching them all at this point as i worry about the slime coat loss and such. The two larger ones are the only ones at least acting a bit off at this point and those are my main worries. For now it is just worrying about water quality to let them recover. It's light feedings for now and wait for the RDF to do its job in clearing everything they kicked up or shed off.

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That’s tough to wake up to .. sorry about your loss .

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      So this morning koi keeping really sucked. I went out to feed the fish this morning and my pond was only 3 inches deep. I was testing a new more powerful pump on the RDF cleaning and it had a defect as it actually died after 4 days of use. As a result the screen got dirty, clogged, and the water level rose above the waste trough line and started emptying out of the pond. The only reason it took so long is that it was also spilling over into the shower still and the drain line cannot gravity release as much as the pump was pushing so it was overflowing the waste trough as well.

Thankfully the pump lost suction and left some water in the pond. All of the new tosai and tamasaba were not impacted due to their size. Most of the koi could stay somewhat upright and had air so they recovered fast once the pond got some more water in it. My three largest however were impacted the most. An Asagi, Yamabuki, and Chagoi were all stuck on their sides due their physical size. Thankfully two were on their size next to the aeration. The Asagi suffered what looks like some sunburn as it has little white spots on the skin of its face. She is back to normal and hungry, but one to watch. The Yamabuki lost a scale or two and is rightfully a little skiddish right now. She at least came up for a little food. The Chagoi however was stuck in a corner and was barely alive when i got out there. I placed her next to the air as the pond filled but she did not make it. I took a final measure of 32 inches before burying her in the back corner of the yard. I plan to get a plumbego later today to plant over her.

It was a heart attack moment but a teachable moment as well. Any pump fed system needs to have a safety back up and I never installed one and just happened to luck out for nearly a decade. While the pond filled back up I took the time to start by hooking up the original pump for the RDF cleaning spray bar. After that I made a trip out to a few stores for some parts. I installed a larger weather box for the outlet and a piggy back float switch. It is connected to my retro BD pipe and my pump is now plugged into the outlet via the float switch plug. From here forward should the RDF cleaning pump go out, a pipe bursts, etc....the pump will shut off in the water level gets too low. The float is positioned to where I do my water changes so if the system fails, they will still have a solid foot or so of water to survive in while the air pump is still running.
      A "SCHEAP" installation in the first place.

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      A "SCHEAP" installation in the first place.

Garfield
      Sadly the fact that you can use this to crack a joke and mock my pond and build actually does not shock me.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Today I installed an HD camera at the pond with night vision and audio. Any time I worry I can just open my Arlo app and check out the pond now.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Sadly the fact that you can use this to crack a joke and mock my pond and build actually does not shock me.
      We all make mistakes. Sharing the mistakes helps us all though

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Today I installed an HD camera at the pond with night vision and audio. Any time I worry I can just open my Arlo app and check out the pond now.
      Sound good
      But hopefully your wife doesn’t get too jealous when you keep checking on your koi
      M.Nguyen

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      Sound good
      But hopefully your wife doesn’t get too jealous when you keep checking on your koi
      She knows my obsession with the pond, doesn't get it, but is pretty cool with things. It goes back to Saturday morning we woke up with all intentions to go to Disney as a family as part of her weekend birthday activities. She saw me, saw the pond, and only said to text her with updates and to make sure at some point I take a break and get a bite to eat.

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

i feel what you been through last couple days
      Lucky herd to have a good owner like you Jim
      M.Nguyen

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Jim, I am so sorry for your loss. I know that had to be a horrible sight to see your pond with only three inches of water left in it. Hope the other two continue to do well.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

The Yamabuki seems to be back to normal now and the fish are coming up for feedings again. The Asagi's sunburn on the head is probably going to take awhile to heal up. It does not look like any of the blisters are open or red, so hopefully it won't lead to an infection or anything. As the fish have come up, damage on a few others is a bit more apparent. An ochiba has a few scratch marks on its head and the soragoi has a few blisters from the sun as well. His are thankfully not red or open as well. Time will tell for all of them as there is not much I can do beyond give them good water, food, air, and time.

is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Sorry about your Chag, I missed that part in your previous post.
      Also, congrats on breaking the 30" mark albeit briefly.
      -Rain

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

It's been nice to keep an eye on them day or night and to know if the filters are working.

is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Turn that pond into a filter pit and build a bigger one
      -Rain

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 202728293031323340 ... LastLast