Thread: flow direction w/ ball valves

zack67360
    has not specified a status.

flow direction w/ ball valves

I have noticed on my ball valves, an arrow to indicate the proper water flow direction. Does it really matter?? When installing, should I make sure to get the ball valve placed in the proper direction, ie. if I don't, will I pay for it down the road?

Thanks in advance.
    zack

BruceP
    Yes it matters and I think it had to do with taking it apart if necessary when in use. Not possitive but someone will know.. lol
    Bruce

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." Albert Einstein

Every good landscaping project starts with a hole!

1Kflyerguy
    Busy doing something...
    I noticed the arrows on my single union ball valves. I think theory is the arrow show which way to place the valve so you can remove the untion without water going everywhere... At least that is what I did. So for my TPRs, the arrow are actually backwards when compared with the flow. I wanted the ball valve to hold the water in the pond, not the pipe from the pump if I took things apart for some reason....

zack67360
    Thanks flyerguy. My ball valves have unions on both sides, called full flow valves. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. I too want to keep water in the pond in the case I must take the valve apart, so I should place the arrow pointing backwards to the flow??

Thanks,
    zack

avorancher
    staring at the screen
    Zack, unscrew the unions and try to push the ball out of either side. If it comes out, you need to install it in the direction that prevents it from being pushed out the the water if you need to take it apart after it is installed.

I think full-flow valves mean that the opening is the same size as the input and output. Some valves have a smaller opening through the interior. You have full flow double union valves.
    Farmer Steve

zack67360
    Thanks Steve, will do that and install accordingly.
    zack