Thread: cleaning pond liner,,,help.

Hammsbeer
    has not specified a status.

cleaning pond liner,,,help.

i need some advice on how to clean the liner.w/ summer coming im getting alot of agea so i want to srcub what i can.its not a big pond so im going to drain it so i can clean it.
    advice on what to use and what the easiest way to go about it.
    thank you-doug
    -Doug

"born in the land of sky blue waters"-Theodore Hamm

koi4u2c
    You should not scrub your pond liner clean. I should grow a light coating of algae on the pond liner. This helps with your bio-filtration of the pond and is also beneficial to fish that like to graze on it.

Scrubbing your pond spotless every year, sets back the biofiltration and your pond will not develop a mature enviroment.

A pond with a mature enviroment will better maintain stable PH as well as help with breaking down ammonia and nitrites. Part of the bacteria that helps with filtration lives not only in your filters, but also on the liner of the pond.

Notice I said a light coating of algae, but not copious amonts of scum or mulm. With good water movement and filtration this should not accumulate on your pond walls. The bottom of your pond should also remain mulm free.
    Nancy

Hammsbeer
    its not super thick but its also not a thin coat.i not good w/ keeping up on it,i do keep it top off w/ ro/di waste water when im making water for my reef tank.when i woke up the water has a whiteish look to it.what could be the problem?is that cause from the agae?the water has always been clear.
    thanx for the help-doug
    -Doug

Hammsbeer
    or i should say it got a HAZY look to the water.could this be from not having a skimmer?
    Last edited by Hammsbeer; 05-25-2009 at 03:50 PM.
    -Doug

koi4u2c
    I did say a thin coat of algae on the walls, but I have read that up to an inch of hair algae growing on the walls is good, but my koi suck it down to a slight green color on the liner.

If your water is hazy it could the beginning of algae growth in the water.

In the spring and with new pond water this will happen most of the time until your filters mature or become active after winter. Then the water will clear or you may need a UV light to aid in this clearing.
    Nancy

Hammsbeer
    thank you for your help nancy.the pond has been up for about 8 months and the agae growth has been about 4 months now.i did unplue my uv because the pump is way overrated so the water had no dwell time for the uv to do anything.the pond is only about 600g's and has a cheap all in one filters w/ a submergable pump in it.i dont have alot of $$ to put into the filtration but do you have any idea's on how i can make it better for the fish?
    -Doug

clm
    How big is the pond and how many fish are in it? Full sun? Oops, just saw it's 600 gallons. How many fish do you have in 600 gallons and what kind of fish, koi or goldfish.

Cindy
    Click for Toronto Pearson, Ontario Forecast

Hammsbeer

Smile

sorry about the late reply.turned out that the liner was leaking under the waterfall and thats what was making the water hazy.thanx so much for all the help.
    -Doug