• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 43 of 62 FirstFirst ... 334041424344454653 ... LastLast

Thread: Anoxic Filtration.

BAVOTOI is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Anoxic filtration system so paint to clean-up because ending bottom is 70% mud left behind.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Otter is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Dkoinut View Post
      Hello Otter. Did you ever get your pond and filter done? And if so are you using the Anoxic filtration system?
      No, it will be at least another year or two before I rebuild. I plan to add some pots to my recovering aquascape pond when thing settle down a bit, though, and I'll need to do some experiments before I finalize my design.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BAVOTOI View Post
      Anoxic filtration system so paint to clean-up because ending bottom is 70% mud left behind.
      I'm not sure I followed that at all, but I'll take a guess. Are you saying that after you drained your anoxic filter 70% of the debris was still there, and it was difficult to remove?

kevin novak is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Dr. Novak,

This is Alex Chai from Hong Kong. Hope you remember me. First of all, thanks again for the CD! I studied it over and over again and only recently had the chance to implement it.

Since the pond that I was going to build in my yard has been delayed again, so I used the time to really study your CD and search for the needed components. Believe or not, I couldn't find the most basic ingredient,
      planting baskets, to implement the filter system here! I searched everywhere including some factories in China and none of them has the kind of planting baskets, all they have was little ones maybe like 1"x1"x1"!!
      Anyway, I finally found some bigger ones that was intended for organizing stuff in a household store. However, none of them has holes at the bottom so I had to drill them myself.

Regarding the API Laterite, I asked the local distributor and they told me that since this thing is classified as soil or substrate, it'd be too much trouble for them to import it, actually their exact words were something like,
      "too much paper work", so they just said no to me. Then I emailed API and ask if they would let me import this particular product since I figured I'd be using them for all my filters in my breeding projects anyway, but API
      didn't even reply my email! Finally I got on ebay and got 10 boxes from a seller and let me tell you, the shipping cost was more expensive then the Laterite themselves!

All in all, I finally got all the ingredients needed and was constructing a 5'x3'x8' rack which holds six 5' tanks and a 200L sump at the bottom. I put ten 7"x7"x6" baskets in the sump last friday and started the pumps which by the way, run about 6000L of water through the entire system each hour. I have a pH monitor, an ORP monitor, an Ammonia monitor, and a TDS monitor taking reading at least twice a day and since I'll be breeding South American Cichlid in this rack, I also put some soil in each tank which drives the Ammonia level pretty high on the first day. But after only 5 days, the Ammonia level has already come back down to normal and everything seem stable now!

I mean, I have started hundreds of tanks before and even when I was using old bio-media or soil or water, it'd usually take at least a week to have the Ammonia level come down to normal not to mention that this time I'm using all new stuff, from tanks to soil to everything inside the baskets and taking only 5 days to lower the Ammonia level back to normal is simply magical and I can't thank you enough for showing me how the Anoxic Filter System works!

So yes, again, THANK YOU!!

Alex Chai.......

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Congratulations on your success, Alex. How did you get the laterite through customs?

Franco Prati is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My own filter test

Hi Dr. Novak,
      I wanted to apply your Anoxic Filter, but in Italy, where I live, I can't get the kitty litter of the same kind of your's. I asked in italian forums if someone could have helped me, but after several month, no one was interested or didn't find it.
      I got the message on your new release od CD book that the UK TESCO lightweight low dust cat litter was the right one. So I drove to UK (2500 miles) and in Dover I found a Tesco store where I charged my car of kitty litter (casher asked me how many cats I had) the drove back to Italy to start the first Italian Anoxic Filter.
      I ordered from e-bay the laterite from the UK and when it arrived I'd like to test it soon on my pond. The fear to have some unespected problems quite me down and convinced me to build a new pond next mine to test the new filter with new fishes inside.
      My pond is 25.000 litres has a chamber filter with mechanical and biological actions, a pump of 16.000 litres/h and a TMC Proclear UVC Clarifier 55W. The pond is crowded with nearly 45 mature koi and is planted inside and outside the filter. The test value of ammonium is 0,2-0,4 (dipending from the feed load), the phosphates=0 and the Nitrates=5 (municipal water is nitrate=10). I feed koi in the pond 3 times a day with small quantity of hi-protein meals (summertime only).
      The "Novak pond" is 8000 litres with an 8000 litres/h pump with a sieve prefilter but no UVC lamp and no plants inside or outside the pots. There are 28 biocenosis pots 11"x11"x7". I put 9 mature koi (45-50 cm) in it and I feed the one time a day.
      I decided to take every day the value of ammonium and nitrate from both pond.
      The Novak pond starts with 9 pots because of temporary lack of laterite.
      I think the Anoxic Filter will work if ammonium will be =0 and nitrate won't rise. Also water will clarify.

Now is the 14° day testing and these are the results till now:

DAY 1 (08-28-10)
      Novak pond: ammonium=0,5 feed after test
      Mine: ammonium=0,2 feed after test

DAY 2 (08-29-10)
      Novak pond: feed
      Mine: feed

DAY 3 (08-30-10)
      Novak pond: ammonium=0,2 feed after test
      Mine: ammonium=0,5 feed after test

DAY 4 (08-31-10)
      Novak pond: ammonium=0,1 nitrates=6 feed after test
      Mine: ammnoium=0,4 feed after test

DAY 5 (09-01-10)
      Novak pond: ammonium=0,3 nitates=10 no feed
      Mine: ammonium=0,4 nitrates=5 no feed

DAY 6 (09-02-10)
      Novak pond: ammonium=0,3 feed after test
      Mine: ammonium=0,3 feed after test

DAY 7 (09-03-10)
      Novak pond: ammonium=0,3 nitrates=10 phosphates=0 feed after test

DAY 8 (09-04-10)
      Novak pond: no feed
      Mine: no feed

DAY 9 (09-05-10)
      Novak pond: ammonium=0,1 feed after test two times

DAY 10 (09-06-10)
      Novak pond: ammonium=0,4 no feed

DAY 11 (09-07-10)
      Novak pond: ammonium=0,1 feed after test
      Mine: ammonium=0,4 no feed
      added 13 pots for a total of 22

DAY 12 (09-08-10)
      Novak pond: ammonium=0,2 nitrates=10 feed after test
      Mine: ammonium=0,2 feed after test feed after test
      added 6 pots for a total of 28

DAY 13 (09-09-10)
      Novak pond: ammonium=0,2 feed after test
      Mine: ammonium=0,1 feed after test

DAY 14 (09-10-10)
      Novak pond: ammonium=0,1 feed after test
      Mine: ammonium=0,3 feed after test

I made this test not only for myself but also for people who wants to have more experiences on anoxic filter. The people that can't believe this test may do the same in their own yard.
      I will keep you all informed about next days test

The POT

The Filter "Ingredients"
      Last edited by Franco Prati; 09-15-2010 at 07:21 AM.

Paultergeist is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Franco Prati View Post
      So I drove to UK (2500 miles) and in Dover I found a Tesco store where I charged my car of kitty litter (casher asked me how many cats I had) the drove back to Italy to start the first Italian Anoxic Filter.
      Wow. Driving 2500 miles for kitty litter. That is a serious level of dedication.....

......and some really expensive kitty litter.

Best of luck with your efforts.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Paul, I trusted in Anoxic Filter soon when I heard about it.
      Seems like a sexual feeling with it, isn't it?

Last edited by Franco Prati; 09-15-2010 at 07:10 AM.

Koizilla is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Franco Prati View Post
      Thanks Paul, I trusted in Anoxic Filter soon when I heard about it.
      Seems like a sexual feeling with it, isn't it?

No sorry Franco not feeling it ......... but I'm British

John
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by Koizilla; 09-12-2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: double pic

sunshine1008 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is so funny!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

dagsteve is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

PMSL....it really is tough locating litter,you americans are soooo lucky

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for posting your data, Franco. You are only the second person to post numbers for an anoxic filter system on a full scale pond without plants or any other biofilter, hence your input is very valuable. Please keep posting your measurements.

I have a few questions.

1) Are these numbers from the beginning or did the filters have time to mature before you started taking data. If so, how much time?

2) Is the sieve the only other filter besides the anoxic filter pond?

3) Is your "Novak" pond new, or did you remove some other type of filter from an established pond?

4) Do you have something under the pots to allow circulation between the underside and the bottom of the filter pond?

5) How much water is there between the top of the pots and the surface?

6) How, and how often, do you plan to clean the anoxic filter?

7) You say you expect greater clarity in the pond with the anoxic filter. What was the visibility to begin with, and have you noticed any changes? If you're feeling gung ho about the science of this, you might want to put some sort of plastic eye test card (plastic bottle with painted label) on the end of long handle (PVC). Then you could measure clarity based on the smallest print you could read.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oh, and 8) did you have any trouble at the borders on your drive back from the UK with all that cat litter?

dagsteve is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

ps

sorry otto ive never trested for phosphates
      ive had a small amount of blanket weed growth in the filter only,this died back,and has returned,nothing to worry about
      i cant add any more,as my filters got knocked back during early summer,i guess the water company are to blame(not me lol)
      this allowed my nitrates to climb to 40,they seem to be at 30 now,ive been heated and have fed heavily
      i use the anoxic alongside a nexus,a different bottom drain run etc..i cleaned it last week (sept),it was last cleaned i think in march,no nasties have been noticed

im glad this thread is back on track,i really dont understand why people argue or defend certain types of filter,read and learn ;i say
      Last edited by dagsteve; 09-14-2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: additional info

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
      Thanks for posting your data, Franco. You are only the second person to post numbers for an anoxic filter system on a full scale pond without plants or any other biofilter, hence your input is very valuable. Please keep posting your measurements.

I have a few questions.

1) Are these numbers from the beginning or did the filters have time to mature before you started taking data. If so, how much time?

2) Is the sieve the only other filter besides the anoxic filter pond?

3) Is your "Novak" pond new, or did you remove some other type of filter from an established pond?

4) Do you have something under the pots to allow circulation between the underside and the bottom of the filter pond?

5) How much water is there between the top of the pots and the surface?

6) How, and how often, do you plan to clean the anoxic filter?

7) You say you expect greater clarity in the pond with the anoxic filter. What was the visibility to begin with, and have you noticed any changes? If you're feeling gung ho about the science of this, you might want to put some sort of plastic eye test card (plastic bottle with painted label) on the end of long handle (PVC). Then you could measure clarity based on the smallest print you could read.
      The "novak" pond is new one started only one week before the pots. Started means that i filled with water and nothing else. During the week (i was driving to UK in the meanwhile) the water got green due to sunlight. I put the pots and the fishes in after I come back to UK.
      The sieve mechanical filter is the only one I used according with Novak directives.
      The upper pots inside the chamber filter are separated from the bottom one by 2" pipe rows and the upper pots are 3£ from the water surface. The bottom pots ar on the chamber filter floor (I know I have to put something to upper it but I forgot it).
      I'm not very happy of the work done by the sieve because it let pass through too much dirty without stop it (300 micron the sized mesh).
      I had trouble coming in UK because I got the return ticket only 12 hours after the entering, so I had to explain everythinf of the novak filter to a pretty customs guard. She was surprised that in Italy we'd haven't so simple material, and she let me leave saying I was mad.
      The water, as you can see, is green but the first day I can't see koi under 7" of water now at "day 17" I can see fish under 3 feet. I think that is due to a bad mechanical filtration.

Now I show you the DAY 19 as I see the pond this morning.

Phosphates are always =0 because the pond is new and the nitrates are always below 10 (municipal water is 10). No plant eats nitrates so I think the filter is working, but slower then I could though.

(To be continued)
      Last edited by Franco Prati; 09-15-2010 at 07:22 AM.

velvetbone is offline Supporting Member
      is Still Learning

Feeling:
      Awesome

Is anyone else having trouble seeing the posted pictures?

I am very interested in this project. I, too, am planning on adding an Anoxic filteration "Pond/Bog/Filter " to the pond I am currently building.

Thank you to Franco for keeping us updated!

Roddy Conrad is offline The Koiphen Chemist
      is Busy!

Feeling:
      Awesome

I have personally seen a number of lovely ponds using this kind of technology for their koi ponds, and was convinced each time this is the optimum way to run a lovely koi pond. The plants themselves are quite lovely, and use up all the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to give clean water with no issues. Most of them had huge amounts of gravel in the system which is an excellent medium for building a huge, useful biofilm to clean the water.

I would hesitate to use this technology in a more northern harsh winter climate, but from roughly West Virginia southwards, and for all of California, this system is ideal for a lovely koi pond. The best application I saw was in a high end koi pond near Sacremento, California, where lilies in pots in a gravel media was as large as the actual koi pond. Underneath the huge gravel were PVC pipes containing a huge blower system to boil up the gravel twice a year to remove the settled sediment. It was the best koi pond I have ever seen.
      Your koiphen chemist and environmental scientist.

Paultergeist is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Roddy,

I very much value your input, but I truly must ask if (a) that which you are describing in this recent post vs. (b) "Anoxic Filtration" are actually the same thing?

Based on your description, you seem to be describing a filter based on large amounts of gravel (providing lots of bio-film) in conjunction with plants (lilies). Really, what you are describing sounds like an undergravel filter -- a la classical aquarium technology -- extrapolated to a Koi pond application, in conjunction with a veggie filter. The idea of a network of PVC pipes to blow out the gravel medium periodically seems like a very good idea as well. That which you detail above seems very logical to me, and I would not describe it as anything more than a clever adaptation of long-standard aquarium and pond technology. I am sure that it can work very well, just as you describe.

You have posted, however, in the "Anoxic Filtration" thread, and Anoxic Filtration -- at least as explained by its' primary proponent (Kevin Novak) is quite different than what you describe. The plant baskets -- referred to as "bioceneisis pots" in Novak's literature -- are not filled with gravel, but rather with a kiln-fired clay-based cat litter. In addition, there is a central core of Laterite granules in the center of each biocenesis pot, such that a *pocket" of Laterite is completely surrounded by the clay-based cat litter. Because the orientation of the central core of Laterite is to remain surrounded by the cat litter at all times, one would not use a blower to stir-up or clean the granules (as this would disrupt the inner core outer layer orientation). The construction of the biocenesis pots is crucial -- according to Novak -- for this design. Another very important distinction is Anoxic Filtration is reportedly not dependent upon the presence of plants in those baskets. Plants are *optional* according to Novak's instructions (although I have long suspected that plants were the primary source of nitrate removal reported by some of the adopters of this system).

As best as I understand Novaks' theory, the specific design of the biocenesis pots is for bacterial consumption of oxygen in the outer (cat litter) layers, with a then reduced oxygen percentage towards the inner surfaces of the pot -- hence the "anoxic" moniker. Supposedly, microbial pathways will prevail within the anoxic zone which will directly utilize the ammonia, and partially by-pass the typical nitrification pathway. This sounded somewhat like the "anammox pathway," but I was unable to obtain an answer from Novak as to whether his filter was intended to utilize this (anammox) pathway, nor could I see how this pathway would operate under the conditions of this filter.

From my limited reading of a couple of primary literature references, I simply could not see how "Anoxic Filtration" would operate as Novak described. I thus performed my own set filtration experiments -- documented in a separate thread on this forum. These were very limited-scale experiments, but I was unable to observe the process described by Novak. My results led me to believe that these were primarily (conventional) substrate fields coupled with veggie filters, and that any "anoxic" contribution would be negligible. You may remember the thread, as I had asked you at the time for your assistance, but I now see that you were probably wise to abstain, as my reporting of a negative result seemed to really alienate Novak and cause a lot drama on the forum.
      (https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?104436)

At any rate, I have little doubt that the system you describe could be very well adapted to work in a Koi pond. I feel that it is important to point out, however, that what you describe is not "Anoxic Filtration."

Paul
      Last edited by Paultergeist; 09-15-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Correct spelling errors

richuk is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by dagsteve View Post
      PMSL....it really is tough locating litter,you americans are soooo lucky
      Hi dagsteve I use the sophisticat but plenty of others in this link I posted somewhere earlier in this thread...dik

http://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basicscatlitter.htm

stillwee is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by velvetbone View Post
      Is anyone else having trouble seeing the posted pictures?
      I cannot see those pictures posted by Franco either.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 43 of 62 FirstFirst ... 334041424344454653 ... LastLast