• Tired
  • Page 1 of 62 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Anoxic Filtration.

Dave is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Anoxic Filtration.

I would like to raise a topic for discussion here.

I have been researching something and would like some opinions.

What are your opinions on The Anoxic Filtration system?

And could we all please stay calm and try and give logical and factual based idea's and opinions.

Note : I am researching and have no opinion on this topic as yet.

http://www.essexsection.co.uk/html/a...iltration.html

Thanks
      Last edited by Dave; 04-08-2009 at 04:08 PM.
      Dave.

If it doesn't kill you it can only make you a better person

"There is nothing wrong with making mistakes. Just don't respond with encores"

I asked Jesus how much do you love me? Jesus replied this much and he stretched his arms on the cross and died...

Randburg
      South Africa

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Luck is offline Samurai
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

here is a thread on it a while back:https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...xic+filtration
      Watch your thoughts; they become words.
      Watch your words; they become actions.
      Watch your actions; they become habits.
      Watch your habits; they become character.
      Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Dustin

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks luck, had a look through it,

saw alot of stuff bordering on hate speech and outright personal attacks by a certain person.
      I saw the same attacks from the same person on a few other forums tonite.

I am always sceptical of these self proclaimed saviours of the common hobbyiest's , that believe they know it all and have seen it all, if these people had their way we would still be using ox wagons, wait, NO, we wouldn't have invented the wheel yet,

I think this system bears looking at.
      Dave.

I asked Jesus how much do you love me? Jesus replied this much and he stretched his arms on the cross and died...

Randburg
      South Africa

Joey S is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I reviewed all that was said and requested the DVD and never got it...Sorry, I like to keep an open mind to new innovations, but I'm not sold on this system.
      For the love of Koi
      Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #4 WWKC

JOIN THE WorldWide Koi Club NOW

Certified Koi Keeper (CKK)

Otter is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I think it's interesting. I haven't run across anyone posting water quality measurements for such a system, yet. But if someone credible did this and also gave good information on stocking, feeding, and other details, I'd pay attention.

One question I have is how the anoxic system functions from mid fall to mid spring in temperate climates, when the plants are all dormant. And how much would the anoxic pond increase the oxygen demand and need for gas exchange when both ponds freeze over?

Another question is how the anoxic filter performs relative to an aerobic filter of similar size with lots of plants in the system. Comparing Novak's setup to a smaller aerobic system without plants doesn't tell us much.

One drawback I see is the potential for mosquitos to breed in the filter pond. Maybe that's not much of a problem with a high enough flow rate, but I'm used to relying on larger fauna to take care of the wrigglers. I'm not sure about parasites of fish breeding in the filter pond, but that may be a problem too.

I am, however, not convinced that the bacteria in anaerobic filters are a serious hazard to fish. I suspect that people have confused the gasses produced in bottom muck with the bacteria that produce them. Nearly every time any sort of anaerobic system comes up on the forums, someone warns that dangerous bacteria will get out of the filter and kill all the fish, but I've yet to see anyone back that notion up with anything at all. Until someone names a specific fish pathogen that does well in anoxic conditions, I'm taking this as a myth.

rdm757 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I requested the DVD from Dr. Novak about a year ago and it actually just arrived last week. Well, it was free so I don't think I have any room to complain! Anyway, I haven't had a chance to review it yet, but the concept seems interesting. I have my doubts however and my inclination would be to stick with proven techniques.

Dkoinut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Anoxic filtration

Hi Dave. I have been using Kevin's Anoxic filtration system for over one and a half years, closer to two tears now and i believe I gave it a honest test. My pond is one of those pictured in your reference. I'm still using the Anoxic filter and am very pleased with it. I was a little leary at first because it took so long for my Anoxic filter to get up to full effectiveness, but I was way over stocked too. I also wanted to really abuse it to make sure it would do as he stated. I Clean the anoxic filter and drain it twice per season. March and October. I Only did 60% water changes spring and fall. 25% this year so far. Also I only replaced water used in flushing my bottom drain, and what was lost thru evaporation. I did this to abuse this filter to make sure it would keep up with my fish load. I currently have 26 koi ranging ftom 10 to 28 inches. From standard charts, and I calculate a conservative 69 pound fish load. Until late last summer the load was much higher. I sold and gave away over 65 8 to 12 in koi, and 8 in the 20 to22 inch range. I believe I also over feed my koi I went thre 175 lbs of koi staple pellets last year plus shrimp, many fruits, rice, night crawlers, silk worms, etc. My water quality has remained very stable. Much more so than when I used diy upflow filters 440 gallons of them). Update as of 10/2008 from my water quality testing log-" After using the Anoxic filtration system for 1-1/2 seasons, I am convinced that it works very well as described by Kevin. And I'm very satisfied with mine. My water quality has remained very stable last year. And even with my very minimal water changes/additions. PH 7.9 to 8.1 regardless of Time of day; 0.0 ammonia; 0.0 Nitrite; And nitrate has continued to drop to less than 5 ppm. I did a large 50% water change at start-up in March and otherwise, less than 2% per week till October. I did this as an extreme test, Next year, I'll probably do more 5 to 10% water changes." I believe this system is very effective on my "over stocked koi pond". It did take longer to completely remove nitrites. 05/07 to 05/08. Like all koi ponds, this filter needs clean water, so a pre-filter/ mechanical filter is a must. I would also say that labor requirements was reduced by at least 50%

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the input so far guys.

I am using standard philosophy at the moment, and it is just not working.

Also the philosophy reminds me of the DSB that i use on my marine tank.

Ok this is slightly different, the anoxic system seems to have better flow through on all levels and seems to get balanced alot quicker.

"Negative" bacteria?? What is that?

All types of bacteria exist in our ponds at all times, its just the quantities they exist in that varies. Bad water conditions lead to a rapid multiplication, of the bad stuff which overwhelms sick and or stressed fish and the good stuff.
      Dave.

Randburg
      South Africa

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Dkoinut, thanks for posting about your success. Can you give us some details about your filter pond - how large, how many pots, plants, etc? Also, how do you clean this type of filter?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
      Dkoinut, thanks for posting about your success. Can you give us some details about your filter pond - how large, how many pots, plants, etc? Also, how do you clean this type of filter?
      Yup, please Dkoinut, that would be great.

Thanks

Dave.

Randburg
      South Africa

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Dkoinut,

U think you could PM or mail me some diagrams and pics of your application of this?

thanks man
      Dave.

Randburg
      South Africa

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There are 3 pictures of my pond and filter in dave's reference link. Mt first is the rectangular concrete block pond. it's actually a bit over 7000 gallons. Then there are 2 pictures of my anoxic filter. i tried to copy/past but the photos wouldn't come thru. anyway, they're about 3/4 down on the first page. I just got my greenhouse cover off the pond yesterday, but did clean the filter pond last month. Marsh Marigolds are blooming up a storm and the water iris are also growing like crazy. Mose of these systems mine included are flow thru so cleaned and filtered water flows from the filter pond to the koi pond.
      This is the Anoxic pond. 5.4 ft wide by 9.4 ft long and 28 inches deep, and about 915 gallons. I have the bog plants on elevated platforms. And there are a total of 54 biocenosis pots, with about 20 planted. Way more than is required. My water lilies and outher plants bloom nonstop all sumer and grow like crazy. I have to repot after 2 years, or the plants will destroy the pots. and all without adding commercial fertilizer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I found these on my photobucket account. They are similar to the ones on your link in post #1

mtsklar is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Do you run the pond in the winter? Just curious as the design looks like all the water goes over the waterfall?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nothing running all winter.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

anyone else attempt anything along these lines?
      Dave.

Randburg
      South Africa

DebbieKSW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Debbie
      K.S.A. member

let me be a little kinder

TracenBec is offline Senior Member
      is Fixin it

Feeling:
      ----

We just requested a CD so we can look at this. Dkoinut, I know you have successfully run this for some time now and I have a couple of questions.

From what I have gathered this uses an SC with a pre-filter method and then straight to the anoxic filter. Am I understanding this correctly?

Also, what is in the biocenisis pots again?

Sorry if you have covered this and I missed it.

Thanks

Tracy and Becky

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Dkoinut. What is involved in cleaning the filter pond?

geraldlim is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Dkoinut View Post
      There are 3 pictures of my pond and filter in dave's reference link. Mt first is the rectangular concrete block pond. it's actually a bit over 7000 gallons. Then there are 2 pictures of my anoxic filter. i tried to copy/past but the photos wouldn't come thru. anyway, they're about 3/4 down on the first page. I just got my greenhouse cover off the pond yesterday, but did clean the filter pond last month. Marsh Marigolds are blooming up a storm and the water iris are also growing like crazy. Mose of these systems mine included are flow thru so cleaned and filtered water flows from the filter pond to the koi pond.
      This is the Anoxic pond. 5.4 ft wide by 9.4 ft long and 28 inches deep, and about 915 gallons. I have the bog plants on elevated platforms. And there are a total of 54 biocenosis pots, with about 20 planted. Way more than is required. My water lilies and outher plants bloom nonstop all sumer and grow like crazy. I have to repot after 2 years, or the plants will destroy the pots. and all without adding commercial fertilizer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Dkoinut,
      Thanks for posting your experience.
      Is this the only filtration? Any other settlement or mechanical? How do you get rid of the koi poo, or do you?

Can this work in conjunction with other filtration like showers, or is it either/or?
      Gerald

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 62 123411 ... LastLast