• Tired
  • Page 45 of 62 FirstFirst ... 354243444546474855 ... LastLast

Thread: Anoxic Filtration.

mtsklar is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hello Franco,
      I think the above test would have more validity if you had pumps in the containers to circulate the water.

Without water circulation it is debatable that the water samples you took for testing where from a homo-genius effluent.

When you added the NH3 did you add it to the top of the media basket or add it to the water outside of the basket?

Matt Sklar

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Boethius is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Franco: Looks like an excellent result and more testing in varying situations can only be beneficial; I look forward to the results. I am intending having a growing on tank in the filter house sometime in the future and was playing with the idea of using just a few biocenosis baskets but was concerned that it would not create a beneficial environment but your aquarium tests look very positive; keep up the good work.

Boethius is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by mtsklar View Post
      Hello Franco,
      homo-genius effluent.
      Can you explain that please; I did a web search and came up blank. As for a pump in the test containers I think that will be part of the next test; but without a pump it seems to confirm the laterites ability to "pull" ammonia into the basket. Looking at lots of different filter systems they all seem to have a problem of water tracking along the easiest route (hence the use of air walls in the ERIC). The same tracking will be for an anoxic filter but is compensated by this ability to attract ammonia.

Franco Prati is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by mtsklar View Post
      Hello Franco,
      I think the above test would have more validity if you had pumps in the containers to circulate the water.

Without water circulation it is debatable that the water samples you took for testing where from a homo-genius effluent.

When you added the NH3 did you add it to the top of the media basket or add it to the water outside of the basket?

Matt Sklar
      Before I put the water then I mixed it all

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Boethius View Post
      Can you explain that please; I did a web search and came up blank. As for a pump in the test containers I think that will be part of the next test; but without a pump it seems to confirm the laterites ability to "pull" ammonia into the basket. Looking at lots of different filter systems they all seem to have a problem of water tracking along the easiest route (hence the use of air walls in the ERIC). The same tracking will be for an anoxic filter but is compensated by this ability to attract ammonia.

skloot is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

These experiments are great. It's a necessary step in establishing the legitimacy of the system in the community, it seems. Keep it up!

Adwise is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm planning to use an Anoxic Filter on the pond I'm building. See... https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...intenance-Pond

I have two questions... Does the water returning to the pond have to come from the surface of the filter or can it come from the middle or bottom?

Also, am I correct in assumming that the water leaving the anoxic filter has not been stripped of oxygen by the anoxic process?

Thanks.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Boethius View Post
      Sorry it should be "homogeneous"

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Adwise View Post

I have two questions... Does the water returning to the pond have to come from the surface of the filter or can it come from the middle or bottom?
      No problem in all the way
      Quote Originally Posted by Adwise View Post

Also, am I correct in assumming that the water leaving the anoxic filter has not been stripped of oxygen by the anoxic process?

Thanks.
      Yes, the leaving water from the Anoxic Filter is enriched of oxygen too.

expat is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevin novak View Post
      Just wanted everyone to know that the new 2010 Cd-book are now available with some new info on what is going on in the UK. The book is updated with, which I hope is a better understanding of the Anoxic filtration system by Syd Mitchell and not myself. He is more down to earth in his writing because he writes professionally for hobbyist magazines in the UK. Also Oil Dri is a good substitute for cat litter, but read the book first before jumping into anything.
      Kevin I am at the moment giving your filters a try, too soon for results yet and have a question. I am using kitty litter from Walmart which I think is what you suggested and was surprised at how fine some of the grains were will water pass through it ok or should I have sieved it before use. I am going to put some 12" x 12" pots in my 600gal holding tanks and see what they do there, they wont have plants though ?
      Thanks for all you really good info

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

stillwee is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
      Kevin I am at the moment giving your filters a try, too soon for results yet and have a question. I am using kitty litter from Walmart which I think is what you suggested and was surprised at how fine some of the grains were will water pass through it ok or should I have sieved it before use. I am going to put some 12" x 12" pots in my 600gal holding tanks and see what they do there, they wont have plants though ?Thanks for all you really good info
      Hi while waiting for Kevin, let me chip in with my experiece. I use the anoxic (psuedo) filter described in earlier post on my 800 gallon indoor tank, and a purely anoxic filter on another 400 gallon indoor tank. They worked well for me. Both have no plants.
      I was also surprised at how fine the Kitty Litter could be, but I did not sieve them.

Goki56 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ WWKC Secretary ~ 2020 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Thumbs up

Dkoinut....Last year my DH and I had the pleasure of meeting Darrell and see his Anoxic filtration set up. Lovely pond, clear water and beautiful happy healthy fish.
      Maybe Darrell will chime in soon or you could PM him. Darrell is awesome and I'm sure he'll will be a great help to you.
      Gordana

Koiphen 2020 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by stillwee View Post
      Hi while waiting for Kevin, let me chip in with my experiece. I use the anoxic (psuedo) filter described in earlier post on my 800 gallon indoor tank, and a purely anoxic filter on another 400 gallon indoor tank. They worked well for me. Both have no plants.
      I was also surprised at how fine the Kitty Litter could be, but I did not sieve them.
      Thanks for sharing your experience, it just did'nt look as though water would pass easily through it but from what your saying it works ok. Why (psuedo) ?

stillwee is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
      Thanks for sharing your experience, it just did'nt look as though water would pass easily through it but from what your saying it works ok. Why (psuedo) ?
      I had extra space in the filter box and leftover bioflow9 from the filter that was replaced. So I left it there with the anoxic baskets. Kindof hedging my bet at that time . If you have not viewed it, I described that setup in post#805.

chubb is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

is non clumping cat liitter is made from zeolite?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

cat litter is made from kiln baked clay

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I recently tested the water in my anoxic setup and got almost zero fesults for ammonia and nitrites, although as you will see from the attached video I have a 20gal barrel filter in line its been too cold for that to do much. The setup is about 600gals with six baskets and a fairly large fish load. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyA8aXfjtlI.

chubb is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i can't find kitty litter like special kiity or tesco premium in my country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litter_...ntional_litter

can i use zeolit instead of it?

Dkoinut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

hi chubb. any plain cat litter will work as long as there are no additives. You can also use oil dry another baked clay product.

TracenBec is offline Senior Member
      is Fixin it

Feeling:
      ----

Wow, some things never change

Paul

Wow, a year later and things haven't changed, nor why I left this thread. Still having this same routine. I can tell you all that if you have an anoxic filter, plus a Birdman special sand gravel filter and a Kent Wallace indoor shower filter the water quality is freaking amazing and easy to keep, even when I am only home once a month and wifey has to keep adding water and feeding for me without maintaining the filters. Unfortunately my pond does not give anything as far as yes it works or no it does not, but we have 0 water quality issues. And it is amazing to watch all of those plants grow indoors. I can't say I don't do water changes either because it takes me about 300 to350 gallons of water to clean the SG filters and another several to drains the Settlement Chamber. I can say that the plants we have repotted absolutely do not have a rotted material stench when we dig into the baskets though.

Sarah, good to see you on here too

T

Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
      Wow. I find this recent allegation confusing.......and more than a little distressing.......

I am at a complete loss as to what event(s) Kevin may be referring.

I sincerely apologize to anyone who feels I may have offended them by way of my posts, but I am truly not aware of any posts on my part -- on this forum or any other -- which were less than respectful.

The only other Koi/pond-related site in which I regularly participate would be Koi-Bito, and as far as I can determine, there is no post on my part within that forum which I can see as being interpreted as me having "jumped on people's backs."

To the best of my recollection, I do not know a "Robert F." If such a person exists, please contact me so I may attempt to resolve any out-standing issue or misunderstanding (of which I am currently un-aware).

Again, my sincere apologies to anyone who may feel slighted by my conduct -- on this or any other forum. If there is a particular event, thread, or discussion topic which may be referenced as an example of poor forum etiquite on my part, I would greatly appreciate being made aware of it so I can make appropriate ammends.

Then again, perhaps this is all a case of mistaken identity?

I don't know what else to say.

Paul Shanahan ("Paultergeist")
      Lemon Grove, California.
      Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 45 of 62 FirstFirst ... 354243444546474855 ... LastLast