• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blow your mind Koi and Aquaponics set-up

koikate is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ohhhh Jeeze girl! Waaaaay to go! That's SWEET!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

geraldlim is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Cowiche Ponder View Post

my friend in the pic is 5' 2" If we were to ever build another greenhouse we would make the sidewalls taller

We will start tomato plants from suckers in a raft system but using just miracle grow

A few years back I was in Singapore and visited an "Aeroponics" farm where the roots of the veges are hanging exposed in the air and sprayed every few seconds with nutrient which is then collected and recycled. They can even control the vitamin content of the veges, and I have NEVER tasted better lettuce!
      Gerald

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

They were grown in long rows of tiny poly "greenhouses" just over each row of veges, with NO insecticides ever. No pests in these growing conditions apparently.
      Gerald

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The Asian guy in the first set of videos on this thread uses the nitrates in his koi water AND uses chemical hydroponic fertilizers as well in order to get the right nutrient combination to support fruiting vegetables. I don't have a clue what he was using though. I'd sure like to find out! He claimed it wasn't hurting his koi at all and he sure had some very healthy looking koi.

jjlanotte is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i plan on constant flow thru system with clay pebbles. spray bar at top of tub and drains at bottom. even the purpose of a biological filter is crazy. all that surface area i would be adding with clay pebbles and the spray bar would crazy aerate the water. this is awesome
      Keep your chin up, learn from your mistakes, and never give up on your passions.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2bS7...eature=related plan on something similar to this.
      Keep your chin up, learn from your mistakes, and never give up on your passions.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yep. I've seen that video lots of times. Too cool system. I am more into the raft DWC thing as I had volcanic rocks in part of my last system and thought they were a pain in the azz to keep clean. Any way you look at it though, adding a hydroponic system to your koi set up adds a HUGE amount of filtering to your system. And I'd sure rather those nitrates grew flowers, veggies and herbs than the other option... which is algae. Yuck. Nitrates are nitrates. Wherever present, Mother Nature is going to make sure something grows in them. Might as well grow something usefull...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I cant beleive that people dont use this more and we dont see these type of filter builds on here more often. Its so amazing..not to mention extremely efficient!!.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jjlanotte View Post
      i plan on constant flow thru system with clay pebbles. spray bar at top of tub and drains at bottom. even the purpose of a biological filter is crazy. all that surface area i would be adding with clay pebbles and the spray bar would crazy aerate the water. this is awesome
      That is very similar to a bog filter. Be careful, cuz they clog / get filled with organics after a while. I would go for a raft system myself cuz of my experience with the clogged bog.
      Gerald

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I cant beleive that people dont use this more and we dont see these type of filter builds on here more often. Its so amazing..not to mention extremely efficient!!.
      So true. I think if more people tried it, they'd see their algae problems go away, their water clear up, their fish get healthier, and have the benifit of being able to increase their stocking density too boot. Cripes, a person could raise a whole fresh food crop for the koi to eat right on top of the water and cut their feed bills too. Somebody said their koi love to eat kale and that would be the perfect winter crop for a raft system under a greenhouse cover.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by geraldlim View Post
      That is very similar to a bog filter. Be careful, cuz they clog / get filled with organics after a while. I would go for a raft system myself cuz of my experience with the clogged bog.
      I planned on putting it on my skimmer circuit

mollymaples is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I notice that this is an older thread, however, I am going to add anyway. I started an aquaponic system in my existing Koi pond. I love my koi and would be devastated to lose any due to an error. I did add iron twice for the plants, but noticed that the water stayed a murkey brown all summer. Is there an iron type that does not make my water brown? I am going to try again next summer without the iron and see where I can go without adding iron to my koi pond.

Bunyip is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Welcome to Koiphen mollymaples

Quote Originally Posted by mollymaples View Post
      I did add iron twice for the plants, but noticed that the water stayed a murkey brown all summer.
      I thought Iron (a heavy metal) was toxic to Koi?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
      Koi Medicine by Dr Lance Jepson pg 25

1.12.1 Heavy Metals

''...At higher pH values (greater than 7.0) iron precipitates out as iron hydroxide, coating the gills causing acute respiratory distress and even death... https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ls-of-iron-Bad
      Copper and iron are examples of metals that are toxic to koi. Be sure that your pond water is not exposed to these metals. Possible sources of copper and iron are your piping system, heaters, and even your filters. http://www.koianswers.com/discussion...water-quality/
      Many wells have high levels of heavy metals, particularly iron. Iron oxide precipitates in the gill tissue when anaerobic water from a well is exposed to air. http://www.pondtrademag.com/articles/ar-168/

The Ki Shusui Autumn Harvest 2013!

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...56#post2338156

Outstanding Effort by All the Ki Kichi Team!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12