• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Kitty Litter VS Bentonite

kytalker is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Kitty Litter VS Bentonite

I have done some reading on bentonite and kitty litter.. It appears that kitty litter (walmart cheap grade) is almost the same thing.. I see that it is just natural clay.. I have talked to some around here that have used it to seal the bottom of there mud ponds.. I was wondering what everyone else thinks??? 5.00 per 50lbs or 10.00 per 50lbs..

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Joey S is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I don't think so...
      For the love of Koi
      Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #4 WWKC

JOIN THE WorldWide Koi Club NOW

Certified Koi Keeper (CKK)

CHICHI is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kytalker View Post
      I have done some reading on bentonite and kitty litter.. It appears that kitty litter (walmart cheap grade) is almost the same thing.. I see that it is just natural clay.. I have talked to some around here that have used it to seal the bottom of there mud ponds.. I was wondering what everyone else thinks??? 5.00 per 50lbs or 10.00 per 50lbs..
      Hi KT ..

Some Related info

Wiki ..

[edit] Clumping litter

Close up of cat litter Clumping litters were first developed in the UK in the 1950s by the Fuller's Earth Union, later to become a part of Laporte Industries Ltd. The type of clumping litter developed by the FEU was calcium bentonite, a less swelling and less sticky type than American bentonite. Subsequently in America, clumping bentonite was developed in 1984 by biochemist Thomas Nelson. Most are made from granulated bentonite clay which clumps together when wet and forms a solid mass separate from the other litter in the box. This solid clumped material can be scooped out and disposed of without changing the entire contents of the litter box. However, the entire contents should be changed on a regular basis to prevent buildup of bacteria; every four to six weeks is recommended. At the same time, the litter box itself should be disinfected.
      Approximately 69% of the cat litter market consists of clumping litter. Clumping litter usually also contains quartz or diatomaceous earth (sometimes called diatomaceous silica, which causes it to be mistakenly confused with silica gel litter). Because of the clumping effect, it is not recommended to flush clumping litters down the toilet. The top two clumping litters in the United States according to sales data are Fresh Step and Tidy Cats.
      In recent years, there are increasing claims that clumping litter can be harmful to pets because if it is ingested or inhaled, it swells and solidifies inside them.[1] This is thought to be particularly dangerous for kittens, who are more likely to ingest cat litter and less likely to recover easily. However, other than anecdotal testimonial, there has been little evidence for the claim, and no confirmed cases in the scientific literature.[1]
      Clumping clay cat litters also contain crystalline silica, or silica dust, which is a known carcinogen according to California Proposition 65.[2] It has been proven to not be of a significant risk to humans, but there are no regulations or studies to show the affect of silica dust on cats. Clay litter has also come under scrutiny due to the fact that the clay used in its production is commonly stripmined in an environmentally degrading process.[3]
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_litter

Chris Neaves

The difference between sodium bentonite and calcium bentonite can easily be seen. Sodium bentonite clumps more strongly and has a very alkaline pH. Therefore it is a good idea to rather use Calcium Bentonite in Koi ponds.
      Although bentonite is found in many clumping cat litters and Koi keepers are often tempted to use them in ponds these are best avoided. Manufactures of clumping cat litters often add chemicals to introduce a fragrance to the cat litters. Some cat litters are sprayed with a plastic compound to reduce the dust associated with the clay. Other cat litter have colorants added for commercial appeal. Unless you are absolutely sure avoid clay cat litters in Koi ponds.
      P.S. Montmorillonite (calcium bentoinite) also makes a wonderful face pack!
      http://www.japanese-koi-fish.com/chr...0and%20koi.htm

IMSALSMOM is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wal-mart's cheapest litter is not "clumping" - my bag says "Ingredients - Ground Clay" and elsewhere on the bag "Natural clay" and it definitely does not clump - at least not in my cat's litter box - outside of that, I know nothing, nothing, about the clay in it.
      Last edited by IMSALSMOM; 02-09-2009 at 11:14 AM.
      Dale Ann
      American and British Troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan
      Drunks are always victims, in their own minds. -- Law and Order

Click for Saint Petersburg, Florida Forecast

IMSALSMOM is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This links is to a chemist that uses Special Kitty in an aquarium

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00532.html
      Dale Ann
      American and British Troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan
      Drunks are always victims, in their own minds. -- Law and Order

Click for Saint Petersburg, Florida Forecast

geraldlim is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sodium bentonite is used to seal ponds because it swells up many times its original volume when it adsorbs water by forming a waterproof gel.

Calcium bentonite is more like regular clay, and is what Koiclay is made of.

Cat litters are made of different things. There are some cat litters made of sodium bentonite without additives, but not too many. I have used one of these plain sodium bentonite cat litters as a clay base in my planted aquarium for 8 years.

Do a Google search on kitty litter planted aquariums.
      Gerald

koikate is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Gerald,

Since you have experience with using this clay, do you see an improvement in the health and vigor of fish raised in your clay-lined aquarium?

Although I don't have the room for a mud pond, I was thinking about building a liner-lined raceway type tank that attempted to duplicate as closely as possible the conditions found in an algae mud pond. One of the things I was considering was adding a layer of either Koi clay or one of the kitty litters that checks out as being fish safe. I was going to use this tank specifically for growing on fry as they apparently grow faster, get better color and are healthier if grown on under those conditions.

It's my understanding that the vigor seen in koi raised in mud ponds is due in part specifically to them rooting around for food on the clay bottom which allows them to injest some of the minerals found in the clay. Do you see a similar vigor and exceptional color in the fish in your clay lined aquarium?

geraldlim is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The clay is used as a media for the plants, not fish. It is mixed with vermiculite, and under a layer of sintered clay granules then gravel.
      BTW a correction - the kitty litter I use for the planted aquarium is calcium bentonite, not sodium bentonite. I don't really notice an effect on the tropicals.

But I did use sodium bentonite kitty litter as a part of my potting mix when I had plants in my water garden when I had koi there to keep the Osmocote from leaking out into the water column.
      Gerald

Fabrizio86 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Cat Litter

Is this one 100% sodium bentonite ... it says 100% sodium bentonite/mineral crystal ... is mineral crystal an alternative name to sodium bentonite??

https://www.amazon.ca/Fresh-Natural-.../dp/B00O0HSW5Y

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Sodium bentonite is used for kitty litter as it will absorb a tremendous amount of water without filling up. When it is mined it is generally in larger pieces and crushed down to size with most going into fine powder for use as drilling mud, mud jacking mud, pond lining and landfill lining. To make the kitty litter, I suspect they pre-wet the bentonite to make small marbles, which are then "fired" to dehydrate the pellets of the right size. They may call these pellets crystals, but if it were fired to melting to make crystals, it would no longer be absorbent.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Calcium bentonite is "Koi clay". Even if you find a kitty litter that is pure calcium bentonite, it will not be a fine powdered form.

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio86 View Post
      Is this one 100% sodium bentonite ... it says 100% sodium bentonite/mineral crystal ... is mineral crystal an alternative name to sodium bentonite??

https://www.amazon.ca/Fresh-Natural-.../dp/B00O0HSW5Y
      Looking at the product, it is not 100% clay, or bentonite clay as it also has incorporated zeolite which is used by some aquarists to absorb ammonia.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007