• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: hybridizing attempts

desertkoi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

hybridizing attempts

I've been attempting to develop a yellow patterned koi on a blue background without using ochiba/chagoi/soragoi parents and was successful in getting a few. This spawn was one female and two males (one metallic) and was also trying to see if I could generate some metallic midigori-like offspring. I'm happy to say that I have a few fingerlings that are metallic yellow with the "green" tint - underlying black netting which is just starting to come up. I find that black in my fry come up "late". The fry are now 3-7" long and they key will be to see if the color deepens or deteriorates over the next several months. I'm enclosing a few pictures including one that shows the different color varieties. My only negative is that one parent is a longfin so the finnage is not quite optimum but when these babies are able to breed, I'll be back crossing to get back to standard finnage.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

eshmikity is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Do you think a Doitsu lemon hariwake and a blue kikokuryu would work to get the yellow on blue metallic look? I dont know much about the breeding to get patterns but was wondering what you think.

Midorigoi is offline ‘Gecko Girl’
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow, those look interesting, especially that metallic one in the 1st pic. For the blue metallic look I can't help thinking that a really underpatterned kujaku would look nice...
      They sure look like well fed babies

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Is that Asagi x Yambaki?
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

Shorty is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I too am interested in making a yellow on blue. I have a batch of koi fry I am raising right now, and neither of the parents had any yellow to them, but I have found some yellow fry in there. Very interesting -- wish there was more info available about selecting parents and why the fry are colored like they are.

Would you happen to have any pictures of the parents of these koi?
      Koi Rescue
      Life is an all-you-can-eat buffet, and I am a hungry sumo wrestler.

kev is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i have a koi with a blue back,yellow sides.i'm trying to get a pic of it up but i can't.

Hirogoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ki Asagi?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
      i have a koi with a blue back,yellow sides.i'm trying to get a pic of it up but i can't.

Here is Kev's picture
      Name:  pic1.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  407.6 KB

Name:  pic2.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  37.3 KB

I really like this one too:

Name:  pic3.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  26.1 KB
      Koi Rescue

kev is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

thanks shorty.not the greatest pic and i'm not sure if that's what you guys mean by blue and yellow.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi - I hardly visit the forum, but thought I'd follow up my original post based on the questions.

The mom is a female full scale lemon hariwake which I think has a recessive gene for longfins but not exactly sure since I purchased her from a domestic breeder. The dad is likely either the ki kikokuryu or an ayabake longfin which looks like a yellow shusui. After watching these baby fry grow between 3-11" (runts and hogs), I'm leaning on more and more the dad being the ki-kikokuryu. Reason is that I have either leather or full scale offspring with underlying blue or black. I can't tell until our water gets cooler whether the underlying color will come up (hence confirming the kikokuryu parentage). The puzzling trait is the blue/black line along the dorsal on at least 60% of the offspring which would (at first) indicate almost the shusui scaling, except that there's not a shusui looking one in the bunch. If the shiro utsuri was the dad (he's full scale), I'd be puzzled over the qty of leather offspring and pec finnage proportions for the longfins. So, I'm thinking I will see a propensity of the kumonyru black coming up this fall. Since half appear to be metallic and the other half a mix, that could point to a non-metallic dad (utsuri or ayabake). The metallics from this group are pretty awesome - really bright noses, just hoping the heads will clear up. A couple are actually more "green" then the Japanese imports for midorigoi that are almost a light yellow color. I think the green tint may be due to the underlying black over the base yellow giving it a green look but it's not "green" enough to qualify for a midorigoi. I just don't have the resources to keep these guys to watch their development (I think most are males since they are high fliers/jumpers) so I will keep a small subset of the ones I am most curious with and donate the rest to our club auction this fall and hope my culling instincts were not far off. I'll try to follow up with post within the next 6 weeks of the subset I'll be keeping (4). These fry got a lot of live food (daphnia and duckweed) early on and I spoiled them with silkworms to try to encourage the body confirmation that they've developed. Well worth the added expense. I didn't provide any color enhancers, preferring initially to just raise them on a balanced high protein diet.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the update !!

Shorty
      Koi Rescue

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I will have to update some pictures in a couple of weeks of the ones I showed in the opening thread. The patterns have been remarkably stable during the whole growing season. I'm still patiently waiting for whether the blue/black will come up on a few of the remaining fry I've kept having needed to donate a few to free up space. I was really pleased with the quality of yellow (not orange, not gold) and think the mom has real potential for the future. Here are a few of the koi that I donated - all are between 6-10" long and about 6 months old. I am still wondering about the blue/black along the dorsal which is prevalent on at least 60% of the fry and most were leather offspring. Beginning to think it might be the recessive shusui genes of one of the males, but can't be certain.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

As promised, here are the koi fry that I'm keeping through next season. Only the one yellow metallic is full scale, the remainder are leather with the longer pecs. I'm hoping the underlying blue/black materializes as they mature.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007