• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Vortex SC or 330 gal Poly Tank

jejjcook is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Question Vortex vs Poly Tank

Will be helping my sister with a pond redo, will post more details on that for feedback later, but can get a 150 gal vortex SC for $385. It is 39" in diamater and 44" tall. It is a non-fiberglass version of the Cyclone 7500. It can handle up to 4000 GPH max. My question is, cost aside for the moment, would the vortex work as well as, better or worse than a 330 gal poly tank.

Both would probably have either static chamber or micro strainor on output side.

Pond:
      12 x 10 x 6, 5387 gallons. One 4 inch aerated Koi Toilet BD feeding settlement chamber.
      Last edited by jejjcook; 10-11-2008 at 09:45 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Steve Nguyen is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

if I have a choice, I would never choose the square ST. Vortex is a way to go. very easy to remove fish poop on daily basis. it take no more than 5 seconds for the job. Vortex is an effective way of building a ST.

Steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for the reply Steve. Quick cleans on a daily basis is a good point. The tanks are local so there are no shipping costs. I think we'll go with the vortex.

Jack

boggen is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

150 gallons $385 and max 4000 gph something doesn't sound right.

i would say max gph at 3000gph = 3 minute dwell time. but better suggested flow rate being. 1800 gph = 5 minute dwell time.

i haven't priced things for a good long time. so not going to go on price. but you might search google. and other websites and see about pricing. a search for "septic tanks" then once on website look at standard water tanks should bring things up for ya. i say septic tanks due to majorty of companies that sell septic tanks also sell large water tanks, and if you just input "water tanks" into google ya get everything but what you wanted. but septic tanks normally zeros me in on some good websites without much effort.

if i had a choice a cylinder shape tank with cone bottom any time over a square tank.

many times folks will get a flat bottom but has cone top. and flip tank up side down. cut out the now top. and have a nice cylinder shape tank with now cone bottom. check out...

www.worldwidekoiclub.org ->
      pond building info ->
      filters ->
      pre mechanical (settling chambers)

for some good diy / how to's. in doing the above.
      Last edited by boggen; 10-11-2008 at 10:11 PM.
      Pond and Construction Forum 101 good place for any first timers to the forum. for finding resources and general info.

Ryan

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ryan, this is a round cone shaped vortex chamber. My understanding is that I will not need as much dwell time due to the vortex that helps to settle the heavier waste to the bottom.

The dealer told me that ut is a Patio Ponds product, Cyclone I, it has the same shape and size as the Cyclone I but it is a heavy poly material instead of fiberglass. $385 seems like a good price, since it is local, there are no shipping fees.

The manufacturer says max throughput is 4000 GPH, I will probably flow about 3500 GPH for a single 4" BD.

Jack

DavidJ is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Seems to me that a 3500 gph throughput from a bottom drain would allow some settlement of larger debris from a tangential inlet which will slow the water and allow the heaviest detritus to drop out into the cone. That leaves the microstrainer or static chamber to take care of the fines. The vortex can be partially dumped daily or every few days without losing too much water, this will clean the heaviest accumulations so they don't "percolate" and add to DOCs. Bbackwashing a static chamber would additionally keep things fresh. The more "crap" you discharge from your filter improves water quality and reduces DOCs. I say go for the vortex, it will be easy to keep clean. BTW, larger "settlement" tanks are required for passive settlement, but in your case this vortex will provide some degree of settlement but your microstrainer or static chamber will do the rest and negate any loss of settlement efficiency.
      Last edited by DavidJ; 10-12-2008 at 08:49 PM.

JMorris271 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jejjcook View Post

Both would probably have either static chamber or micro strainor on output side.

Pond:
      12 x 10 x 6, 5387 gallons. One 4 inch aerated Koi Toilet BD feeding settlement chamber.
      How are you going to put in a static fitler or a VMS in this filter?
      I need to do that too. This is the Cyclone 1

[/IMG]

boggen is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i just don't bite on manufacture claim of 4000gph. i would suggest taking a look at other manufacturers settlement tanks. i would be willing to bet that 4000gph max is good old marketing at its best. and i would shy away from anything over 3,000gph IMHO (in my humble opinion.)
      Pond and Construction Forum 101 good place for any first timers to the forum. for finding resources and general info.

Ryan

Kent Wallace is offline The luckiest man in the world
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you are going to use "active" settlement with a microscreen or static pre-filter a minimum of about 110 to 120 gallons is fine for one 4 inch bottom drain. For passive settlement you would need more.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I will be using "active" settlement. I plan on using a microscreen but even a static pre-filter would work well enough. You're probably right about 4000 GPH being the manufacturers optimism as long as I can flow at least 3000 GPH through it, I'll be happy.

How are you going to put in a static fitler or a VMS in this filter?
      Would like to come in low through the side and up the middle for a VMS but the sides on the filter are not verticle but am thinking the right amount of heat on the pvc will produce the right angle. It is possible to come in from the flat bottom up the middle but plan on letting it set on a concrete pad and don't want to take away from the bottom support. Will have to look at the filter again with that question in mind to work it out. It is for this reason that a static pre-filter wouild be earier to do, the top portion is verticle.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

aartwmich is offline Insatiably Curious Ponderer
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

..... It is possible to come in from the flat bottom up the middle but plan on letting it set on a concrete pad and don't want to take away from the bottom support. .....
      You want your waste drain on the flat bottom don't you? You'll need some kind of framework to support the cone shape?

Anne (the 'e' is silent) the Armchair Ponder

Judge no one by their outward appearance or where they work or live or worship........but by the content of their character displayed in the integrity of their actions.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You want your waste drain on the flat bottom don't you? You'll need some kind of framework to support the cone shape?
      The waste drain has a flat area at the bottom out the side. The tank will free stand on the bottom but there will and probably should be a frame around the tank to ensusure stability/security of the pond water. This will be in filter pit rather than sitting in the ground.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

why microscreeen or static basket filter? why add more pond maintenance work than needed? less water in pond circulation if you tab in the pump outlet pipe for spray bar. if you add another pump for the purpose of keeping the microscreen, that's add more cost to the operation. efficient should be kept in mind as you design your pond.

Steve

aartwmich is offline Insatiably Curious Ponderer
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The waste drain has a flat area at the bottom out the side. The tank will free stand on the bottom but there will and probably should be a frame around the tank to ensusure stability/security of the pond water. This will be in filter pit rather than sitting in the ground.
      Gottcha....googled it to see a pic

Anne (the 'e' is silent) the Armchair Ponder

Judge no one by their outward appearance or where they work or live or worship........but by the content of their character displayed in the integrity of their actions.

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Round tanks are nice, esp with a cone bottom. But the square poly tank is much larger, and probably a whole lot cheaper. I would go with it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

from performance and efficiency, it's like night and day.

Steve

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007