Thread: Lets talk about frost lines - ours in eastern NC

sworley
    is retired and busier than ever!

Lets talk about frost lines - ours in eastern NC

is from 6-12" south to north in the eastern-middle of the state. It might be higher in the western part and mountains. We're in the southeastern section, so I figure it's maybe 6-8" here, max. Would it really be necessary to put insulation underneath my above ground pool in which I'm keeping my fish through the Winter" Our weather has gotten increasingly warmer through the Winter and I don't anticipate more than a week or 2 in maybe January or February that we'd even have a hard freeze at night for any length of time. What do you think? I bought some 1/2" insulation sheets today and can certainly put them around the sides - it's flexible enough - and put a solar blanket over the top of the water. Would that be sufficient? Thanks

gray cat
    Is blowing leaves.
    Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
    I moved here from Ohio where the frost line, or how far down the ground would freeze, was 12" to 18" 's.
    I asked when we moved here,and was told that the frost line was less than an inch. I have been here 6 years and have never seen the ground frozen.
    We do get snow at times, but it melts off pretty soon. Not like in Ohio where it would stay on for days or weeks on end.
    Nancy

Koiphen 2012 Koi Person of the Year!

tyco4357
    has not specified a status.
    If you put a solar blanket over the pool, how will the gases escape?

Live on the edge of forever!

Jeannette

RichToyBox
    Administrator - Treasurer - BOD -
    Koi Health Care Committee Member
    What temperature are you going to try to maintain. The soil, at some distance below the frost line is a fairly constant 50 to 55 degrees. Immediately under the tank, the soil will try to go to the tank temperature, so if the pond is 70, it will be heating the soil all winter, if the pond is near freezing, then the soil will be heating the pond. The idea of having insulation is to keep nice warm pond from heating all of earth.

Hope this helps you decide on what to do.
    Member MAKC

Zone 7 A/B
    Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
    Yada, Yada, Yada, Yada, Yada, Yada, Yada
    Richard

patch
    4 to 6 feet up here in Upper Michigan. However, there have been years when it has been very cold with little or no snow where I remember water mains that were 8 FEET down freezing and bursting !

rctfan2
    Last edited by rctfan2; 10-02-2008 at 09:32 PM.
    Ben

sworley
    Quote Originally Posted by gray cat View Post
    I moved here from Ohio where the frost line, or how far down the ground would freeze, was 12" to 18" 's.
    I asked when we moved here,and was told that the frost line was less than an inch. I have been here 6 years and have never seen the ground frozen.
    We do get snow at times, but it melts off pretty soon. Not like in Ohio where it would stay on for days or weeks on end.
    Thanks for the responses. My husband says we don't really have a frost line because the ground just doesn't usually freeze. I'd think the pool would keep the soil beneath it at least the same temperature as the pool, so I'm not going to worry about putting insullation under it. I will, however, put some around it. I've found that the big insullation sheets are flexible enough to curve so I'll join them with duct tape around the pool when it gets cold. I'll get a pool heater/deicer, too, just to make sure the top doesn't freeze over - I'm still not sure I'll use a solar blanket because of gas exchange.

sworley

One more question..............

does the silver side of the insullation sheet go toward the pool or on the outside? Thanks